G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

21k and "service engine soon" light...should i be worried?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if your car is under warranty they won't charge you a dime to diagnose what's wrong...at least that's how it is at glendale infiniti

Old 12-20-2006, 12:14 AM
^^^ do you think it'll make a difference if my car was modded?

Old 12-20-2006, 12:45 AM
Originally Posted by techi13
^^^ do you think it'll make a difference if my car was modded?
they didn't even say a word to me about my mods when i took my car in...but all dealerships aren't the same

Old 12-20-2006, 12:54 AM
It depends on the codes it throws. If the modded part in anyway is in corelation to the error code, you will be charged for the shop time. Lets say you have a JWT Pop charger and some oil got on the MAF. Error code is in coorelation to the MAF. Congradulations, your paying for it. Understand that in modding a vehicle, this is a risk you take, and your warranty becomes a piece of paper dangeling over an open fire. Do not take this car to Autozone. Sure, they can pull a code off the motor and tell you what it says, but I would never trust an Autozone to fix a 1989 Civic DX let alone a G35. If you can afford the G, you can afford the 65-95 dollar charge theyre gonna throw at you if the code is infact partially, if not totally your fault. If your one of the typical 16-18 year olds on this board living in mommy and daddys pocket, let this be a lesson to you that you shouldn't be in a car like that. (if that statement is false in your case, just disregard it.) The best people to look at any car, whether it be for an error code or not, are the people specifically trained to work on your car. Please, stop using Autozone as a cheap crutch people.

Old 12-20-2006, 01:25 AM
^^^ thanks for your advice, and i agree with most of what you said except for you implying that mechanics at an Infiniti dealer are the "best people" to look at our cars.

i believe good mechanics are good mechanics regardless of where they work, (even if they work at auto zone)and bad mechanics are bad mechanics regardless of where they work or how much training they recieved.

i've personally seen some incompetent mechanics at an Infiniti dealership...

after a tranny replacement, i took my car in to get a minor thing fixed...3 infiniti machanics looked at my car for 45 mins and didn't know how to resolve the problem...i had to personally get involved and suggest how to resolve the problem (and i'm no mechanic)

so just because they got trained on our cars, it doesnt make them the most qualified mechanic to work on our cars

anyways, thanks for your input once again

Old 12-20-2006, 10:58 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EX-250
The best people to look at any car, whether it be for an error code or not, are the people specifically trained to work on your car. Please, stop using Autozone as a cheap crutch people.
People are not suggesting to "fix" your car at autozone. Just to have the code scanned, so you have an idea of what might be going on, so you don't go to the dealership blind.

I have my own scanner, so I just do it myself. For example, last time my car threw a "Throttle Position Sensor" code... Went to the dealer, and they basically confirmed what I thought, and replaced the throttle-chamber.

Old 12-20-2006, 02:14 PM
Originally Posted by techi13
i just figured it was to remind me for 30k tune up...

but my friend thougth otherwise, and pointed out that we don't have a "chech engine" light
GET OUT OF THE CAR AND RUN LIKE HELL!

Old 12-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Originally Posted by EX-250
If your one of the typical 16-18 year olds on this board living in mommy and daddys pocket, let this be a lesson to you that you shouldn't be in a car like that.
wut are you trying to say here...

Old 12-21-2006, 08:56 PM
yea, my "service engine soon" light came on also. i'm a little over 7000. my door panel says 7000 is the next service time. did the light come on just for that?

Old 12-21-2006, 10:45 PM
service engine soon is the same as a check engine light if u go to an autozone they will scan it for free and tell u what the code is or u can buy the scanner i got mine on sale but normally u can get a decent one for about 160 which is probably the same as bringin it to the dealer 2 times and just havin them scan it

Old 12-21-2006, 11:02 PM
theres no autozone here in hawaii. but the light doesn't come on to tell you that its time just to service the car?

Old 12-22-2006, 01:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by aleok
but the light doesn't come on to tell you that its time just to service the car?
No. The light only comes on if something is wrong with your car.

For example, leaving the gas cap off, causes it turn on, because the computer is detecting a failure of the fuel-vapor-recovery system, which will cause you to fail emissions. (Computer can't tell if the gas cap is open, or if you have a vapor leak somewhere)

Old 12-22-2006, 05:52 AM
A service engine light or check engine light all have to with emissions. It means your car is either running too rich or too lean. Usually the major contributors to check engine lights are your MAF sensors on the intake or your O2 sensors on the exhaust. Have you noticed a decreased amount of accelerlation when you press on the gas? That's almost always a sign of problems with your O2 sensors.

Old 12-22-2006, 08:29 AM
hmm, i don't know. it seem just as fast as always. i've scrapped my exhaust a few time in the last couple days (the y-pipe, flex part), but thats past the O2 sensors. i have HFC's but that never caused a problem for over a year. i just put my painted headlights, and ccfl in the clearance strip headlights on... and butt load of leds all over, but thats nothing...

Old 01-11-2007, 09:44 PM
i tried cleaning my MAF sensors and it didn't do anything, "ses" light came back on...

as for the o2 sensor, i haven't checked that yet...

anyways, what should i be looking for with the MAF or the o2 sensor?

also, i checked the computer at atuo zone and what came up was..

dont remember the exact code but it read something like
"Manufacturer controlled fuel and air meter"

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 21k and "service engine soon" light...should i be worried?