G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

nav or not

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-25-2003, 05:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nav or not

I wanted to see what you all thought about the nav cause im not sure if it be worth the $$ cause i know im not going to use it much but on the other hand it looks coo let me know what u all think thanks

Old 01-25-2003, 11:22 AM
Re: nav or not

I Love the Nav system. I think it really completes the car. But if you would rather have two more small glvoe boxes....then....go without. All I can say is I am Very glad I got one.

Old 01-25-2003, 02:23 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Love mine too. Lots of fun and sometimes very handy. I had it on my Sedan and had to have it on my Coupe![img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gsedanman's Coupe

Old 01-25-2003, 04:35 PM

I really wanted the nav too because it also included a trip computer telling mileage and miles to empty and it does make the interior a lot cooler. I just thought it was a luxury I couldn't (or shouldn't) afford and the G is still tons of fun without it I don't even miss the nav right now. You can get a navigation program for a palm device all for under $1000 if your short on money like me.

Old 01-25-2003, 04:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the disclaimer that a couple years in technological advancements have passed since my previous nav system exposures (in a BMW and a Land Rover), I really like this nav system. Very clear and easy to see, with a pleasant female voice giving you directions. The Rover had some middle-aged english bloke who used British-english terminology. I swear I could smell him sitting in the passenger seat; it was unnerving. Anyway, another feature I like is the Point of Interest searcher, for when you're in an unfamiliar area and want to find a good italian restaurant. Finally, you can punch up useful data like average speed of travel, gas mileage, input on what miles and date you had certain types of service, etc.

The one thing I don't like is that you have to park the car in order to input new destinations. I can understand that they don't want people playing nintendo on it while bombing down the highway, but the person in the passenger seat ought to be allowed to fiddle with it. Maybe some day they'll rig these up with a duplicate set of buttons on the passenger side door that are always operational.

$2000 is definitely pricey for a gadget you're not going to get much use out of for day-to-day driving (and the Coupe is not the car of choice for taking the kids on a road trip), but you have to keep re-sale value in mind. These things are becoming more and more common in premium vehicles, so who knows, the lack of such a system might make your G undesireable 4 years down the line.

-Jack

Black obsidian / graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 01-25-2003, 04:53 PM

When I first placed my order for the car, I didn't want the navigation system because figured:

1. $2000 wasn't worth it
2. How often do I get lost anyway?
3. I can always look up my destination online and print out the route.

But a week after placing my order, wouldn't you know it, I had to go somewhere and didn't have time to print out the directions (printer's really slow) so I looked at the map online and tried to find my way from memory. Needless to say, I got lost and was pretty pissed about it because I ended up in the boonies before I realized that I needed to turn around.

So, I called my dealer up and had him add that option to my order. Just got my car two days ago and tried using the navigation system today. Man, it's so nice to hear this female voice (can get annoying...but you can turn it off) telling me that I need to turn right up ahead and then will have to make a left after that. Very nice. I think I'm going to really enjoy using this feature =).

Old 01-25-2003, 04:57 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

These things are becoming more and more common in premium vehicles, so who knows, the lack of such a system might make your G undesireable 4 years down the line.

<hr></blockquote>
Good point!

Old 01-25-2003, 06:55 PM

My wife loves the one in the Maxima, but I do not have it in the Coup. If I lived in a metropolitan area that I did not know very well, then I would want it. Living in a small town and going to a larger city now and then, I do not need it.

It is a damn cute toy though and they do work well!

Hoot

Old 01-25-2003, 09:53 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

hey JDMan i just read your post and just thought that after 4 years this NAV system will become ancient technology..... i mean think back 4 years and compare the NAV systems back then to now...they are difference between night and day... and technology seems to be advancing faster and faster, you know?
so basically i dont think it will help resale that much in 4 years
just thought i'd share that

Old 01-25-2003, 10:45 PM

In response to the comment about nav 4 years from now.

I think the lack of a decent lcd and ease to play dvd etc on the current stock nav. will make it even more undesirable than not having one. 4 years from now the technology will be much more advanced. Which is why i think it is cheaper and a better idea to wait a couple years and just install your own dvd/nav with the newer technology. Also more than likely by then we will be seeing some custom console kits and or getting the JDM's console.

But if i had the extra 2 grand to blow i would have jumped at it. So if you have the money do it. If you could sqeeze out the money to get it, i suggest you save your money and upgrade yoru speakers or some other cosmetic and performance things. Or even your taxes...

Marcel

Old 01-26-2003, 05:09 PM

Get it !!!!!!!

The NAV System is tooooo much fun. It gives me an excuse to drive the car and make sure that it is accurate. So far it has been right on.

While you are just driving around town, it gives you an instant map of the area in case you want to take an alternate route, or what ever. It is by far the best NAV System I've seen so far.

Yes, it will be obsolete in a few years, but hopefully you will be able to updated the program in addition to updating the maps.

VettRn

Old 01-26-2003, 05:27 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree; worth every cent. If you've got the extra $$$$, I'd suggest you get it. You won't be disappointed..........[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gsedanman's Coupe