G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Couldnt hang with an M3 (cornering)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
try heel n toe. very effective. that one sxec different could equal a car length.

Old 12-21-2006, 05:18 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by uberchicken
Speaking of cornering..

In the rain my car slides real easy! Less than 4K miles on it, stock tires, I really haven't driven it that hard. This is the first rear wheel drive car I've owned in over 12 years. I can't believe some people drive these in the snow. Am I just driving too fast/hard?

I gotta be careful in the rain too. those bridgestones are hard as a brick when its cold outside. add rain to that and you have a slip~n~slide (lol)

Old 12-21-2006, 07:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have yokohamas and i slide easily on wet roads when im punchin the gas or takin turns like a madman. tires dont make a difference when you got torque and rain holding hands.

Old 12-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you have summer tires, doesn't matter which brand, it is wise to take it easy on them in incremental weather.

Old 12-21-2006, 08:49 PM
i still have my 95 M3, and yeah, it corners really well. I may not have the fastest car on the block any more, but i can usually outcorner most cars still. And yes, my M3 is modified (engine, suspension, etc.), but stock, it still handles really well, after all, its meant to be a track version of the 3 series.

My G is still on the stock bridgestones, and i think those tires suck when it comes to handling. I feel like they are trying to slide or give when cornering hard.

I love both cars for their inherent attributes. Heck, I still love my M3, see my handle!

Just my .02 cents

Old 12-21-2006, 09:01 PM
You might want to invest in swaybars. I have stillen sways on mine and the handling improved. Stock wise it's pretty soft and there's a lot of body roll. I have mine set at med/med. At first it was on soft/med but I still thought the front was too soft so I changed it to med.

As far as the e36, I raced one and spanked it but we were not going through any turns or curves.

Old 12-21-2006, 09:31 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
wow, even with Eibach pro-kit and Stillen sways?...

Old 12-21-2006, 09:33 PM
Oops didn't read his sig lol

Old 12-21-2006, 11:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
If u couldn't hang with him with ur suspension mods then didn't take the corner right or didn't push the car to the limit.
Another prime example of how the driver makes all the difference when cornering accelaration etc.....
E36 M3s are the best balanced cars on the road and with a very good driver not many cars can keep up with them. Even a E46 M3 will have a very hard time to keep up with those.

And whoever brought up heal and toe concept obviously doesn't know wtf he/she is talking about. Heal and toe is not used to exit a ramp unless u are doing 150mph and need to slow to 40-50 mph as fast as possible while shifting down from 6th to 2nd gear to take the turn.

Last edited by Klubbheads; 12-21-2006 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think he just outballed u and he had better tires cuz oem potenzas suck IMO. I have out cornered plenty of 3 series and close to outcornered an m3. All I have is springs, stillen sways (med/full stiff) and gt spec bars. I love my car I was actually thinking of selling my g and parting last weekend but this car at my age and this exhaust note, just can't match it. Get better tires and good susp. I'm sure u can out corner/ramp one. good luck

Old 12-21-2006, 11:12 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
^let me know if u sell the GT spec bars.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by Klubbheads
If u couldn't hang with him with ur suspension mods then didn't take the corner right or didn't push the car to the limit.
Another prime example of how the driver makes all the difference when cornering accelaration etc.....
E36 M3s are the best balanced cars on the road and with a very good driver not many cars can keep up with them. Even a E46 M3 will have a very hard time to keep up with those.

And whoever brought up heal and toe concept obviously doesn't know wtf he/she is talking about. Heal and toe is not used to exit a ramp unless u are doing 150mph and need to slow to 40-50 mph as fast as possible while shifting down from 6th to 2nd gear to take the turn.

+1 for sure. E36's are unbelievable in the handling department. If you turn even slightly off (lets say the E36 perfectly executed the turn) you just had to slow down where he could power through. And definatly, if your heel toe'ing on the street (CORRECTLY, not just using it as an extra slow down, as coming up to traffic lights i find myself heel toeing just to slow down faster using 3-3.5k blips) you're over driving for the street. True heel toe is meant for oh **** I need to bleed off 55+ MPH or I'm gonna see what the side wall of the track feels like. On the cross highway interchanges between the 101 and 17 I can stay inside the lines doing 80-85 MPH and the car feels like it doesn't want to hold anymore... or, I can ignore the lines and apex properly and do 115 through with no problem. The number one thing (and I'm sure someone will have a problem with me saying this) to remember about driving your car to the limits on the streets is IGNORE the lines that they paint. If you follow those youll never truely hit corners the way its meant to be done.

Old 12-21-2006, 11:32 PM
E36 is not very fast in a straight line (in today's standard), but they are one of the best (i read it somewhere that they ARE the best) handling car in the world... yes, BETTER than E46, which is an amazing machine in its own right. E46 obviously has alot more power and sure is damn fast, but E36 is even more balanced and more "pure" especially when it comes to handling. thats why alotta E36 M3 owners were very disatisfied with the E46 M3 when it first came out because it became too easy to drive, too much of a overall car for everyone than real race car for enthusiasts (which is what an M3 was desinged to do). now it's too luxurious, too heavy, and not as pure no more! dont get me wrong tho, E46 is a beautiful machine and is more livable with more "toys" than the older modles.. its just that for the purists, it's not what the previous M3s were..

Old 12-22-2006, 12:42 AM
the correct line into, through, and out of a turn makes a lot more difference than many people think. especially those without track time. i've done years of track time on motorcycles and a lot of people think i drive fast until they are in the care with me. they SEE you going fast through a turn when they watch. when they ride they feel that you are taking the turn better than they do and just as in control, maybe more.

And, the BMW corners better.

And for the tire subject.
I kept my accord for snow and bad weather. I try not to take the G out in the rain but every now and then i get caught. The last two times I got caught it was the first time driving it after washing it. Thanks for the input on the slides. I'll just continue to enjoy it.

Last edited by uberchicken; 12-22-2006 at 12:45 AM.
Old 12-22-2006, 03:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gcoupster
yea e 36 m3's or any m3 for that matter will shame us in the twisties ..... just be happy it wasnt a e30 m3 which is basically a lightweight 4 cylinder track ready m3. ill never forget going down to bimmerfest in santa barbara last year and they had some canyon carving runs and it was just amazing to watch those bmw's get driven like they are meant to.
that was prob me =P in a white e30 with m flags on it. i own a 2002 and my dad was driing it while i drove one of the mechanics e30 m3's up there. its a track car and its an absolute blast to drive it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Couldnt hang with an M3 (cornering)