G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Couldnt hang with an M3 (cornering)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 04:06 PM
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Couldnt hang with an M3 (cornering)

I was on my way into work today & came across an older mid-90's M3. ya know, the boxier ones. we were taking one of my favorite exit ramps & I couldnt really hang with him. suspension wise he looked stock. I was seriously pushing the G. but he was getting away from me. I was expecting to stay right on his bumper. he was about 3 cars away from me by the time we came out of the corner.

dayam, didnt know they were that good in the twisties! Big props to them!

Old 12-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea e 36 m3's or any m3 for that matter will shame us in the twisties ..... just be happy it wasnt a e30 m3 which is basically a lightweight 4 cylinder track ready m3. ill never forget going down to bimmerfest in santa barbara last year and they had some canyon carving runs and it was just amazing to watch those bmw's get driven like they are meant to.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:11 PM
um.... are you a good driver? was the tire screeeeeeaming?

Old 12-21-2006, 04:12 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
BMW's are known for their handling capabilities. I thought everyone knew that?

Old 12-21-2006, 04:12 PM
I was taking my favorite onramp to the freeway last night, its a 2 lane onramp. As I was coming up to the turn a civic (one of the newer ones) came up on the side of me. I figured maybe he had some sort of suspension even though I didnt look to see if he did but as was came into the turn it looked like he totally under steered the turn and he had to slam on his brakes. He almost went off the road too. I felt kinda bad cause I almost instigated him to try to take the turn faster than his car could take it.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:13 PM
M3 all gens are great in the corners. Do you have traction bars on your car this can help a lil bit on the corners. At least the car won't fill like it might spin around when you are really pushing it through the turn.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ralph0064
I was on my way into work today & came across an older mid-90's M3. ya know, the boxier ones. we were taking one of my favorite exit ramps & I couldnt really hang with him. suspension wise he looked stock. I was seriously pushing the G. but he was getting away from me. I was expecting to stay right on his bumper. he was about 3 cars away from me by the time we came out of the corner.

dayam, didnt know they were that good in the twisties! Big props to them!
As a former owner of an '02 M3, I can attest to the fact that they handle well since I tracked my car regularly. The handling differances manifest themselves when pushing the car past 8/10 ths. Typically sane drivers don't do this on public roads, so I'm surprised that there was that much of a differance on the street. My guess is that he simply pushed his car in the corner harder than you did. When you pushed your car hard, did the stability icon become illuminated?

Old 12-21-2006, 04:46 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Probably not, but it might help him hook on the 1/4 track

Originally Posted by bambam26
M3 all gens are great in the corners. Do you have traction bars on your car this can help a lil bit on the corners. At least the car won't fill like it might spin around when you are really pushing it through the turn.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
The E36 M3s were great handlers. They were also pretty damn light. 3000-3200lbs? You might be giving up close to 400lbs. That's alot of weight when it comes to cornering.

Sounded like fun though!

Old 12-21-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by FAST1
As a former owner of an '02 M3, I can attest to the fact that they handle well since I tracked my car regularly. The handling differances manifest themselves when pushing the car past 8/10 ths. Typically sane drivers don't do this on public roads, so I'm surprised that there was that much of a differance on the street. My guess is that he simply pushed his car in the corner harder than you did. When you pushed your car hard, did the stability icon become illuminated?

yea, the VDC came just before fully exiting the corner.This exit ramp is particularly fun because its really not that tight around like most exit ramps. Its a pretty long swooping turn which get a litter tighter half way thru then smoothes right back out. speeds of 80-85 mph can be reached when rockin' thru the turn. I thought about taking VDC off but when riding at that high of speed, I didnt want to risk having the rear end wash out undernieth of me.
Its all in good fun though. It sure does perk you right up. No coffee needed. (haha)

Old 12-21-2006, 04:52 PM
Speaking of cornering..

In the rain my car slides real easy! Less than 4K miles on it, stock tires, I really haven't driven it that hard. This is the first rear wheel drive car I've owned in over 12 years. I can't believe some people drive these in the snow. Am I just driving too fast/hard?

Old 12-21-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by SilverII
um.... are you a good driver? was the tire screeeeeeaming?

I consider myself a good driver. I mean, im not a professional, nor do I track my car but with that said Im not a puxxy when it comes down to having a little fun here & there.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:56 PM
I had the same problem with the bridgestones that come on the car. Not sure if that is tire you have I have since gotten 19's with Toyo rubber. The car still slides but not as bad as with the bridgestones. Those things were to easy to break lose. I could screech tires all the way up the hill of my apartment complex at least 25 yards.

Old 12-21-2006, 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by uberchicken
Speaking of cornering..

In the rain my car slides real easy! Less than 4K miles on it, stock tires, I really haven't driven it that hard. This is the first rear wheel drive car I've owned in over 12 years. I can't believe some people drive these in the snow. Am I just driving too fast/hard?
no your just having fun in a rwd car and for the snow if you get some dedicated snow tires our cars will do very well. You have to realzie there are specific tires for specific conditions. Snow=snow tires/ rain=all season tires/ florida=slicks

Old 12-21-2006, 05:08 PM
I'm sure you know how to drive but maybe the M3 driver just know how to get out of the turn faster. It's not how fast you turn but it is really how fast you get out Maybe that is why by the time both of you are out he's car was at his power peak and right gear hence pulling harder on you plus maybe hisballs are made of steel and really pushed his car to the limit. JMHO

Edit:
Stock G suspension are really to soft IMHO.

Last edited by FI'ed G; 12-21-2006 at 05:10 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Couldnt hang with an M3 (cornering)