What is the best turbo charger?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 11:16 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weird SP guys

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
I wouldnt go Turbo unless I had a massive amount of money to rebuild the engine just to run it safely.

Im not being biased at all, but Vortech SC is probably the safest forced induction out there that produces alot of power.

Good luck, your definately gonna have fun going FI

NOT if you are running low boost. It would be no different than putting a stupid SC on your car. SC tend to blow, turbo's don't, and are much more resiliant in high stress driving. SC don't make a lot of power, they make decent power, but they can't compete whatsoever with turbo's.

I would go with turbonetics. they don't really specialize in making car turbo's, usually making plane and boat turbo's, but they are great at what they do. Garrett turbo's are what are used in the Greddy kit and those are pretty bulletproof so I would either go one of those two routes for turbo charging.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Originally Posted by vstrizheus
I believe JWT is CARB legal if that matters

Since when? As far as I know they have been working on it to pass CARB for ages.... So far NO AFTERMARKET TURBO HAD PASSED CARB!!!

Old 12-27-2006, 11:57 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
+1000
Originally Posted by skaterbasist
I wouldnt go Turbo unless I had a massive amount of money to rebuild the engine just to run it safely.

Im not being biased at all, but Vortech SC is probably the safest forced induction out there that produces alot of power.

Good luck, your definately gonna have fun going FI

Old 12-27-2006, 12:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AthenG
Since when? As far as I know they have been working on it to pass CARB for ages.... So far NO AFTERMARKET TURBO HAD PASSED CARB!!!
So does this mean if I get Turboed or Supercharged I will not pass inspection?

Old 12-27-2006, 12:10 PM
Stillen/Vortech (not all stages) are Carb approved. CARB is only important in California here in NY as long as it pass Emission then you're ok. plus if you go Turbo chances are you'll just pay someone to pass you.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:12 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts
So far only the Vortech and Stillen are CARB legal and that is only with the setup they provide as you can change pulleys and belts at a later date and not be CARB legal.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
NOT if you are running low boost. It would be no different than putting a stupid SC on your car. SC tend to blow, turbo's don't, and are much more resiliant in high stress driving. SC don't make a lot of power, they make decent power, but they can't compete whatsoever with turbo's.

I would go with turbonetics. they don't really specialize in making car turbo's, usually making plane and boat turbo's, but they are great at what they do. Garrett turbo's are what are used in the Greddy kit and those are pretty bulletproof so I would either go one of those two routes for turbo charging.

Are you a Turbonetics Fan? They have blown lot of motor on stock boost. TN kit only uses a reflash and if you insist on TN then you go with the tuner kit and buy a bigger injector, better EM.

This is not a SC vs Turbo thread. With Turbo you have to monitor a lot more and there are a lot more things that can go wrong. Leak, Boost spike and because it produce more TQ down low it is more violent on the engine. No body said SC can make more power. oh TN Turbo in not water cooled not like JWT and APS so Turbo timer is needed or you need to stay in your car for a couple of mins before shutdown.

Old 12-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you a Turbonetics Fan? They have blown lot of motor on stock boost. TN kit only uses a reflash and if you insist on TN then you go with the tuner kit and buy a bigger injector, better EM.

This is not a SC vs Turbo thread. With Turbo you have to monitor a lot more and there are a lot more things that can go wrong. Leak, Boost spike and because it produce more TQ down low it is more violent on the engine. No body said SC can make more power. oh TN Turbo in not water cooled not like JWT and APS so Turbo timer is needed or you need to stay in your car for a couple of mins before shutdown.
+1 turbos are murder for an unbuilt engine... i mean u can safely run it but ur greatly reducing engine life... also turbos generate much more engine heat then an SC will... one is a blower while turbos run off the exhaust manifold. If your on a budget and your looking for decent to good gains with out rebuilding your motor then i'd go SC. They're much cheaper to maintain and if u go with Stillen they'll give u a warranty on your engine for 3 years i believe it is. Even if down the line you get hungry for more speed u can always rebuild the motor and get a different pulley

however if your hell bent on a turbo then i would go JWT or APS... Greddy is also very cool but again requires a turbo timer and more maintainence than the others.

Old 12-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i havent done much research but i hear jwt is the best...

personally i want the vortech sc, less tuning and cheaper!!!

the jwt i believe is 7500 or more without installation nor tuning

Old 12-27-2006, 04:37 PM
Banned

I responded to a guy who told the originator of this thread that SP are better. They are pretty much identical if you do everything properly. Of course you need a good EM and a good turbo timer if you install a turbo, but when it comes to blowing motors, boost is boost. Yes the SP gives you linear boost, but if you run a turbo at the same psi as what the SP kits use, you'll be fine. Water cooled? That's what the intercooler is for chei, so yes it is. If you are worried about TQ down low being more violent on the engine, then by your same argument the SC would be worse on the engine since it produces higher boost much earlier than any turbo kit. Yes, if you want to just throw something in and not worry about it later, then you should go SC, if not, if you are a true enthusiest, then you should definitely go turbo.

Old 12-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Water cooled? That's what the intercooler is for chei, so yes it is. .
What I meant was water cooled on the turbo it self.

If you are worried about TQ down low being more violent on the engine, then by your same argument the SC would be worse on the engine since it produces higher boost much earlier than any turbo kit. Yes
SC (centrifugal SC)doesn't reach Full Boost until Redline. Twin Turbo reach Full boost around 2.5K RPM and Single reach Full Boost at around 3KRPM. at below 4K RPM Stock Vortech kit feel like NA (Maybe with just a little punch). Also SC will always have lower TQ than Turbo (just look at their Dyno) A turbo can have higher TQ than HP depend on the Tune. Turbonetic with stock boost and with Utec can give you 400LBS of TQ and 400HP and we all know that TQ is the really the wild card that creates Havoc on our engine. Find me a SC that has More TQ than HP.

Old 12-28-2006, 12:14 AM
-2006 IP GT350-

Originally Posted by www.nissansportmag.com
Each of these kits has distinct characteristics--you, the consumer, has to decide which of those qualities match your personal performance goals. Looking to jump into the turbo market but tight on cash? Turbonetics allows consumers to own a turbocharged 350Z or G35 for less money than the others, is relatively easy to install, and performs well. Want to ramp up your Z or G to crazy power levels? The GReddy kit is the least expensive of the twin turbo kits and offers tons of potential for those seeking to build their motors beyond entry level. Prefer stock-like build and performance? JWT produces a well-balanced system that performs smoothly and delivers impressive power at any rpm (and may be the first turbo system to offer CARB approval). Want something no one else has … and plan to turn it into something ever better? The SFR kit has large turbos begging to be boosted higher and their unique exhaust manifold configuration helps set it apart. Need flexibly to increase a kit’s boost and performance inexpensively? The Power Enterprise kit is quiet and smooth with sound components and power that can be increased simply by changing the actuator springs. Seeking rock-solid design backed up with performance? APS impresses us with its thorough design and refinement plus the potential to be upgraded with the optional APS “Tall Boy” plenum and APS dual 2.5” cat back exhaust system.

In most comparisons, readers tend to want to know who the “winner” is. Truth told, those seeking significantly greater performance from their Z or G can achieve it in any one of these turbocharger systems. So like our earlier supercharger (Spring 2004) and exhaust (Fall 2003) shootouts, we'll let you, the reader, decide what turbocharger setup works best for your needs
http://www.nissansportmag.com/shooto...oshootout.html

JJ

Old 12-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice chart, pretty accurate!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:27 AM
if you want your motor to last, don't go FI unless you got maybe at least metal head gaskets for added strength and lower compression. anyways JWT i think is best from what i've seen and its CARB legal

Old 12-28-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by J-J

JJ

JWT is the faster spooling TT for the VQ engine because of the two small turbo it has. Geees JWT is close to 400LBS of TQ at 3K RPM My only concern with JWT is the use of stock injector and no fuel return because it is trying to get CARB approval. Modifying the stock injector will automatically fail CARB . JWT is not totally expensive, it look expensive because it doesn't have all the goodies to make it safe but Mr. Wolf was able to make it work using some stock parts.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What is the best turbo charger?