G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G's Gas mileage after a 2k plus mile trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G's Gas mileage after a 2k plus mile trip

Happy Holidays to all....new to the site and a proud new G35 owner. It has been 6 years since I had my R32 Skyline when I lived in Japan and it is good to have a Skyline again!!!

Picked up our G and then hit the road from Miss to Minn during Christmas.
We only had the car for a week before the trip and did not know what to expect on Gas mileage.
At first we ran about 78 Mph and got 22.3 MPg and then bumped the speed up to 80-82 MPH and the MPG dropped a wee bit to 21.94. This is with a few hard on the throttle blasts to get around left lane will not get over "Go slowers", semis, etc.

Pretty cool in Missouri we hit a BP station that had 93 for $2.18 a gallon. Every other state was 2.29 - 2.48 and some only had 91 oct.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:17 PM
welcome

got any pics of the r32?

Old 12-30-2006, 01:32 PM
It makes me sick but I only have like 3 or 4 pics of it and none of the Silvia. Just did not take pics of the thing..... had a Silvia all tricked out to and took extended footage with video of both and ...aaarrggghh ..Taped over it and did not discover it until I got back to the states.

The 32 was a great car ......Had ..RS-r 80mm front pipe, test pipe, FGK cat back exh, RAM Garage dyno Tuned ECM, Springs/strut tower brace, Greddy MBstc, Blitz gauges/FaTT and BOV, M's airfilter/CAI, ext trans cooler, etc.

Car had ceramic BB turbo watercooled from the factory and after the exh was freed up and the custom tune....yeeee haaaa she would go.

Old 12-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
sry to say.. but i smell bs that u got an r32 and silvia.. nd then coming to the US to get an 5AT.. post pics of them nd i'll apologize for false accusation

Old 12-30-2006, 04:01 PM
1ClssyG
HA you should compare this with the M5 my dads about to purchase...12 mpg city and 18 mpg highway hahaha its retarded but well worth the money!

Old 12-30-2006, 04:03 PM
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Gas mileage is hardly a factor when spending 80K+ on a car....

Old 12-30-2006, 05:19 PM
mx22o...

Typical assumption....I lived in Japan while serving in the military for 3 years. I owned several JDM model cars while there including a Fairlady Z, R32 GTS-t, S13 Silvia and Mitsubishi Cyborg (AWD).

Alot of people assume that R32 is a GTR which is incorrect, as it is only the designation for that few year platform then to the R33, etc. A R32 can range from a 4 banger basic GXI model up to the GTR model.

Guess you assumed that I had a r32 GTR and came and purchased a a g35 w/ 5at and it did not add up.

FYI-My GTS-t Skyline had a auto tranny.

Old 12-30-2006, 06:32 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbo nasty
mx22o...

Typical assumption....I lived in Japan while serving in the military for 3 years. I owned several JDM model cars while there including a Fairlady Z, R32 GTS-t, S13 Silvia and Mitsubishi Cyborg (AWD).

Alot of people assume that R32 is a GTR which is incorrect, as it is only the designation for that few year platform then to the R33, etc. A R32 can range from a 4 banger basic GXI model up to the GTR model.

Guess you assumed that I had a r32 GTR and came and purchased a a g35 w/ 5at and it did not add up.

FYI-My GTS-t Skyline had a auto tranny.
Completely believable. A good friend of mine just returned from 9 years in Japan and his car collection while statoined over there was amazing. I'm green, but not enough to make me take orders to Japan (I'm also military)...

While moving from Corpus Christi, Texas, to Washington state, roughly 3,100 miles, we ran between 68 - 72 and averaged 28MPG. We drove so slow because I was towing a travel trailer and my wife was following me in the G.

Old 12-30-2006, 07:00 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
my gas sucks 13mpg

Old 12-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Geewillikers...cool and thanx for your service to the country.
I would not call it making me "Take" orders to Japan.
I loved it there and miss it quite a bit. Great people and those folks love their cars..kinda like here in the 60's and 70's when the car racing/ parking/ hanging out was more the hip thing.
Heck, I volunteered for the tour and am trying to get back over there (out now ame job just civil service). My wife maybe going there this year for businees and possibly stay for a bit..if so I will be getting some JDM parts for the G no doubt. Gonna snag up a RB motor or 2 for a swap also.
Funny thing JApan and owning the Fairlady and Skyline gave me the Turbo buzz bad. Soon as I came back to the states I scooped up a couple of Buick Grand Nationals (86 & 87) and kept the turbo power flowing and they are my play toys and I will have to do a heck of alot to the G to get up to my current power level of the Bufords.
Got the G for sporty elegance more than anything.

wes g...u only get 13 mpg ..thats in town huh??? On the hwy should be much better than that. You have a lead foot? If you have a fuel piggy back that can suck down the gas if it is all outta tune. Probably a lead foot though...lOL

Last edited by Turbo nasty; 12-30-2006 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-31-2006, 01:07 AM
i wish i went to japan, what cities were u in and what cars have u seen .. welcome to the forum by the way =]

Old 12-31-2006, 03:33 AM
welcome. what branch of service are/were you in?

Old 12-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Served in the Air Force... Power Production career field...Civil Engineering...like a Navy Seabee.
I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan and actually lived out in town off base. Lived in Okinawa City , Miyazato province.

As far as the cars I have seen...You name it...
GTR's , Skyline (all the other models) Soarers, Tourers, Mark II's, Supra's, Silvias, Pulsar GTI r's, Corona GT-r, AE86/Haji Roku's, EVO's, WRX's, We've (yes the name), Eunos roadsters(miatas here), Leopards, FC's, FD's, Cappachino's, Ascots, Nsxs, GTO's(3000gt here), Fairlady Z's, CRX's (Type r), Wagon r's, Etc. Those are the more popular ones

The Suzuki Jimny (samuri here) could be bought with a 2 stroke engine (u should here that thing running), also they had a 4 stroke turbo charged and had a little scoop on the hood stock. I actually saw one hopped up and drifting it was hilarious.

I was there pre F&F crap and the street racing scene was awesome every car over there was popping fire out the exhaust at the shift. 98% of the cars were FR layout, rwd dominates.

Nissan typically was more popular on the streets there with the Skyline (GTS-t, GTS 2.5-t, GTS X, GTS 2.5 X, GTR ) and Silvias (k's) being the more prevalant. Nissan is more like the Small Block Chevy here.
The drifting stuff ...the AE86's were always in great number.
Man if I could do it over again I would have so many car parts it was ridiculous. The powertrain stuff I saw and could have got in the junkyards.

Cars are dirt cheap...You can get a r33 GTS 2.5 T for under 7 grand.
When I bought my skyline it had the suspe, catback, air filter, new brakes and the lot put a new timing belt on. Car had 60k kilometers on it.
$2800 bucks and I left the lot sideways....LOL

AWESOME experience

Old 12-31-2006, 11:51 AM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Yep. I have had many friends stationed in Japan over the years - most on back to back tours so they could stay.

They all loved it too. They say you either love it and don't want to come back or you hate it.

When I commissioned, they offered me ship's company out of Yokouska - right next to the incinerators. I was already serving ship's company on the GW, and didn't see the need to go half way around the world to be ship's company again. I took orders to south Texas (SAR) instead.

In retrospect, I should have gone to Japan. LOL.. Texas was a hole.

Father in Law retired from the AF - 30 years CMS. I'm Navy (obviously) 25 years myself.

Welcome to the forums. Where are you stationed now - or did you bail?

Old 12-31-2006, 02:19 PM
I bailed my time was up and my incentive for reup was Camp Redcloud in Korea and I denied that then they froze me and was going to pump over to undiscloed location in Afghanistan and then finally I was able to get out and got picked back up doing the same job as civil service 2 months after seperation. Blessing

Currently, I am at Keesler AFB here in Miss.
All the young troops that come through, I always tell em to get as far away from their hometown as possible and experience the world on their rich uncles dime....LOL.

Does make you grow up though.