G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

6mt = Auto in 0-60?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2003, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 6mt = Auto in 0-60?

i think elegant 350z means luxury sport coupe... and SC430 do have MT transmission.. starting in 03 i believe... and i believe SC430 is louder than gcoupe.. it's convertable... do you really think gcoupe is a sports car??

Old 11-24-2003, 01:23 AM

i just ordered one in AT recently, and i don't regret a bit. i guess it's all in the matter of preference. this car sure has enough power when you need it.

Old 11-25-2003, 01:47 PM

I own a G35 Coupe 5AT. I also own a 3rd Gen RX7. Let me tell you this, you come in here preaching that a Sports car should be equipped with an MT and I completely agree. But if you bought a G35 coupe to be a sports car, your opinion on anything sports car related equals NOTHING. The G35 coupe is NOT a sports car. It's an entry level Lurury car that was designed to be sportly LOOKING with a DECENT amount of power. That is why is has back seats and weighs a REDICULOUS amount. If you want to race your "Sports car" I'll race you in my RX7 and show you what a sports car is. The G Coupe is an AMAZING vehicle, and I love it more than any car on the road, but it is NOT a sports car. And for you to spew that crap, you show your ignorance, and invalidate anything you may have to contribute. So for those of you with a 6MT, have fun, it's a very fun car to drive. Those of you with your 5AT, enjoy your luxury ride talking on the phone and drinking coffee, while this guy a spilling his all over himself trying to shift. They are both great in their own respects, but NEITHER are a sports car.

Old 11-25-2003, 07:14 PM

You are talking about a sedan. The tranny is totally different in the coupe.

Old 11-26-2003, 12:22 AM

Saltnutz, i agree with you... G35, even coupe, isn't a "pure sports car". As mentioned, it is more of a luxury coupe with sporty exterior and decent amount of power. 350Z is the sports car, and G35C is not, period. And that is the reason why G35c weigh as much and won't be able to compete with many "real sports car" such as Supra, RX7, STI, M3... even 350Z and S2K. Most people consider G35C as elegant luxury coupe, and that is the only reason AT is more in demand in the market. Why? Because people don't see it as a pure sporty car, instead it is a luxury coupe. (You would find most Supra, RX7, STI, 350Z, and S2K drivers get the manual becuz it's a sport car, but this is not true on the G35 Coupe, you would find way more AT than MT on G35)

By the way, i'm getting tired of reading this AT v.s. MT wars. (Whom ever wrote that thread with no name). Let's just put an end to this and enjoy our ride can't we?

Old 11-26-2003, 09:47 AM

Now you are saying the M3 is a sports car too? Man, you really need to do some research. Comparing the G35 to an M3 is just proving my point. THEY ARE NOT SPORTS CARS. They are Luxury cars with decent performance. Is the E55 AMG a sports car too? It will wipe up the road with the G35, the M3, and the RX7, WITH an AT. Drive however you want, still doesn't make it a sports car. And despite what you 6MT owners think, the Brembos were put on there for the name and looks, not for performance.

Like I said, I own a G35, and I think it's an amazing machine, but still not a sports car.

Old 11-26-2003, 10:30 AM

Arguing semantics on the internet is like putting a fire hydrant on a submarine.

Give it a rest already.

03.5 Coupe - Black/Willow, 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, Sat

Old 11-26-2003, 12:13 PM

When I bought my Maxima SE AE in 2001, I decided to get an auto because it was more of a family/luxury car. Since I got rid of my "sports" car to get the Max, I lost my only source of fun on the road. I used to race religiously and was forced to do so in my Maxima and regret my transmission decision over and over again. Finally I bought my G35 and there was absolutely no way I would even consider buying the AT. This is my opinion and it varies significantly from each of your own, as do my driving habits and uses for this car. I absolutely love shifting the car myself instead of the car shifting for me.

One other benefit is evidenced when looking at G35Gnomes signature. (Please, this is not a flame, just pointing out a fact... not bashing driver's abilities, etc.) He has a crawford plenum, z intake tube, stillen hi flow intake and borla catback and has run a best of 14.37@100. 100mph is pretty fast for a 14.37, so you can tell his 60' times aren't that great. In fact, he quotes a 2.347 in his sig. I have only raced my mostly stock G one time and took a total of 6 passes, experimenting on my launching techniques every time. My average 60' time was a 2.184 (best was 2.161). I was still getting too much wheel spin, so I can probably do better. Anyhow, if you compare our 60' times, I'm almost a full 2/10 of a second ahead by 60'. That's one benefit of having the MT vs the AT. But if you're never going to race your car, then this doesn't matter much. To each his own...

Old 11-26-2003, 01:24 PM

No offense taken man. Like you said my 60 is terrible. And yes some of that is my driving ability, I am sure it will get better as I keep going to the track, I have been only 3 times ever, about 12 runs or so. It is mostly due to really bad tire spin at launch (brake tourqe at about 1200rpm) my tires had about 12k miles on them at the time and it was crazy cold. Anyway not really need to make any excuses, ill prove I can do better with some time slips in the future. A 5AT G same mods as me minus the plenum(1badG) did 14 flat so it means I gotta work on it, he also had newer tires on. But by lookin at my trap speed my baby G will be a monster with some sweet wide a$$ rubber in the rear. Cant wait till the spring to go back to the track.

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors
Best 1/4 mile 14.371 @ 100.29, 60ft 2.347

Old 11-26-2003, 01:26 PM

Loren,

You are wrong, period. No arguing needed. The Coupe has a "Gear Select" tranny, and th Sedan has a "Range Select" tranny. That is why the sedan is slower to shift in Manual mode. When you tell the coupe to shift, it is an order to shift. When you tell the sedan to shift, you are telling it that it is ok to shift now if it feels it is the correct time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 6mt = Auto in 0-60?