G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Which Car should I take on a snowboarding trip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Car should I take on a snowboarding trip

I am heading up to Maryland tonight to go snowboarding at a resort and it seems there will be some snow falling. We can use either my G35 coupe with Dunlop M3 Winter Tires or my girl's civic coupe with all season tires but the front tires are getting pretty worn out. Lets keep the discussion based purely on the safety and handling of the cars in the snow and not about my car getting dirty and what not. Our snowboards and luggage will fit in my car after putting the back seats down. I just want to make sure we are choosing the correct car tonight for safety reasons only. Thanks in advance for any advice or input.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:21 AM
G35driver Addict
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd say take the care with the best/newest winter tires all around. I'd say take the G since the civic is fwd and has crappy tires up front to drive and steer the car. stay safe, have fun. i wish i had the time to go snowboarding again.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by izmir41500
i wish i had the time to go snowboarding again.
Damn, same here! But we're trapped in Texas and the closest place is a 10+ hr drive to New Mexico.

Back to the original question, I'd take the G. I rode in my friend's Civic to Mt. Baldy in Cali couple of years ago during the summer and the engine almost blew up. So if you're going to be driving up any hills or inclined terrain, take a car with rear wheel drive and lots of torque.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:35 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I agree that the civic with the worn tire up front is probally not a good idea

Old 01-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i usually rent a car for snowboarding trips.

Old 01-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Aznteazer
i usually rent a car for snowboarding trips.
ditto.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:08 PM
Front wheel drive is better in the snow. However tire condition plays a more important role...

If rears are good on the civic, i'd move them up front real quick...easy to do and should be done anyways IMO. On fwd, I always like the best tires up front...

Old 01-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
You headed to WISP by chance? I will be headed there tonight with my brother and sister in-law. I would take the G. I just feel it is a more controlable car. The roads up here around WISP are so overly treated you should have any issues with the G. I have never seen an area so on top of their road conditions.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:27 PM
depends on your driving skills. I am assuming you are able to drive in the snow well. The G is a bit tricky in the snow (RWD car) but if you can follow the golden rule of slow and steady, you will be just fine. Have a safe weekend! I will also be snowboarding this weekend. South Lake Tahoe here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2007, 01:33 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
Um rotate the civic's tires and take that. Or go down and buy 2 good all seasons for the civic and bring some cable chains.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:42 PM
I never got stuck in my integra no matter what the condition of the tires were. I vote the civic.

Old 01-19-2007, 01:58 PM
If you are headed to WISP, then the uphills on the way will kill the civic. Last time I went to Deep Creek (WISP area) i drove my girls car and I swear I had to floor it most of the way there. Good thing the engine didnt blow. I say, rent a car if you want to be really safe.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Originally Posted by kuneff
You headed to WISP by chance? I will be headed there tonight with my brother and sister in-law. I would take the G. I just feel it is a more controlable car. The roads up here around WISP are so overly treated you should have any issues with the G. I have never seen an area so on top of their road conditions.
Yup I am headed to WISP. I think I will be taking the G for sure now that you mention the roads are treated pretty well. I spoke with some friends who are already there and they said it has already started snowing but they also starting sanding the roads too.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by SejinxChoujin
If you are headed to WISP, then the uphills on the way will kill the civic. Last time I went to Deep Creek (WISP area) i drove my girls car and I swear I had to floor it most of the way there. Good thing the engine didnt blow. I say, rent a car if you want to be really safe.
Makes sense, I'll take the G. I need to use my winter tires anyways, get their money's worth. It is supposed to snow 2 inches at most tonight so hopefully I'll be alright. I'll definitely take it easy on the way.

Old 01-19-2007, 02:28 PM
Are you sure you want to chance driving on bad roads with your G? I would take the civic and either move the rears to the front, or get new fronts. That way, if some unwanted off-roading happens or some idiot runs into you, it's not your G. I always take the wifes Mazda to go to the mountain, and we almost always have good roads, but they still have sand/salt on them and I don't need anymore chips on my beloved car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which Car should I take on a snowboarding trip