G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Going Overseas!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 11:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going Overseas!!!

Hey guys, just wanted to start out saying I didnt know where to post this topic under so if its in the wrong place, sorry about that...

anyways, I was wondering does anyone know about the legal things that has to be done when importing a G (From US to Japan?) Im going over there for a year or two and I would like to bring my G! but I dont even know where to begin...

If anyone knows anything about the shipping, paperwork, and how to deal with customs, please let me know, I dont want to leave my G in a Storage.

Thanks guys!

Old 01-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Hit the yellow pages and call a car shipping company. They should be able to tell you the requirements.

There are modifications you'll have to do to your car to make it legal in Japan. Military families ship their cars over all the time, and it isn't cheap. The government handles the shipping, but the member has to pay for the mods.

To be honest, I'd store the G and buy something when I got over there. A Skyline for example, or one of the hypo Hondas that aren't available in the US.

Google is also your friend! Maybe this site will help.

http://www.shipmyvehicle.com/default.aspx

Old 01-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would rather leave the car here if you can and let it sit for awhile... or sell it and buy a G aka skyline in japan.

Old 01-27-2007, 01:53 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's going to cost you a few thousand to get the car registered there. I almost took orders there but had a friend tell me about this. The emissions test is like 1800 itself and if you fail you have to pay to get tested again.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:24 PM
i believe shipping cars to japan is about $1500. i could be wrong though.

Old 01-27-2007, 06:37 PM
how about you just sell it and buy one over there? they are a lot cheaper there too!

Old 01-27-2007, 09:29 PM
importing

I notice you forum name is OkinawainKid. Are you from Okinawa? I was stationed in Okinawa for 8 1/2 years. Two of my kids were born there. And we could not ship a car to Okinawa unless it was over 20 years old. If your going to mainland Japan, the rules might be different. If I was you I would just leave your G at home and go over there and collect as much JDM parts as you can. Go over there and drive a Skyline. They are cheaper then you think. When I was there I was looking at a 1990 R32 Skyline GTR and it was only $12,000. And that was in 1996. Plus you can be out overseas connection for JDM parts. If your military, Buy an mid 70's camaro or mustang and ship it to japan to sell. A buddy of mine brought his 74 Corvette to Okinawa and sold it to a Japaneses guy for $30,000. And he only paid less that $10,000. They love american muscle cars like we love their Skylines. You might even find someone to trade you their Skyline for your muscle car. If you go to Okinawa, let me know. I still have some military buddies and civilian buddies over there and I can have them hook you up with a nice car.

Old 01-28-2007, 12:00 AM
Okinawa is cool. Where I was married!!! Had a r32 there and it was sweet, gave me my turbo bug.

U are out on bringing the G anyways the restriction is like in the seventies and older cars only. Check with your TMO guys (assuming you are mil). What base/camp will u be PSCing 2?

Old 01-28-2007, 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Turbo nasty
Okinawa is cool. Where I was married!!! Had a r32 there and it was sweet, gave me my turbo bug.

U are out on bringing the G anyways the restriction is like in the seventies and older cars only. Check with your TMO guys (assuming you are mil). What base/camp will u be PSCing 2?
When were you in Oki? and your signature say 86 & 87 GN? Sell me one. I was stationed at Kadena.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:33 AM
Just got back from Okinawa in Nov 06 and I can attest to the Okinawans/Japanese loving older American muscle cars.

I say, store your G, get something JDM while you are there; enjoy it and sell it when you leave and come back to your G.

Old 01-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Hey guys, well sorry ive been away from the comp. for a few days but thanks for yalls input, Ill try to get in touch with a shipping company and see what they say, im not in the military Im just going over there to college and see my family, but i cant really afford to let my G sit here and try to get another vehicle over there...

on a side note, I got a 67 plymouth belvedere with a 400 big block, 727 torqueflight tranny, and a dana 60 rear end... but i know that it wouldnt pass emissions over there... let me look into some shipping companies and see what they say, once again thanks!

Old 01-31-2007, 07:43 PM
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
you can leave it with me, i take good care of it for you =)

Old 01-31-2007, 07:57 PM
I got my first car out there for $300, a Toyota Vista, then blew the engine 3 months later (something about changing oil), then I got a GTS for free because my buddy got a DUI and couldn't drive it anymore, so I got to sell it for him and drive it. They're right about the conversion. You would be better off getting a car over there. And they're right about them being cheap too. Even the ones that aren't sold between military. My wife bought a Nissan Cube (kinda like the Scion xB's (bB's over there)) brand new for 3 grand. Store the G and chalk up any money you spend on a car over there as a loss, because it's hard to sell them for more than you bought it for and put into it.

Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 PM
OKI KID- Yeah the Belevedere would be tough to get through JCI (*** Comp Inspec).

The JCI is sick and u have to have everything squared away...
head light align, front brakes and rear brakes have to stop on dyno type machine from being spun up to speed, speedo must be cal'd right, no leaks on any drive train parts, all suspension and components must be in great shape(they shake and twist and tap up on all parts will up on lift), not sure on the sniffer test due to the age. That is a few I remember.

DaddyGonz- I was there from 97 to 2000 at kadena. CES Power Pro wife worked in MUNS. No selling the GN's ..no waay. I had a R32 GTS-t that was worked over very strong.

Old 02-01-2007, 09:07 PM
Originally Posted by Turbo nasty
OKI KID- Yeah the Belevedere would be tough to get through JCI (*** Comp Inspec).

The JCI is sick and u have to have everything squared away...
head light align, front brakes and rear brakes have to stop on dyno type machine from being spun up to speed, speedo must be cal'd right, no leaks on any drive train parts, all suspension and components must be in great shape(they shake and twist and tap up on all parts will up on lift), not sure on the sniffer test due to the age. That is a few I remember.

DaddyGonz- I was there from 97 to 2000 at kadena. CES Power Pro wife worked in MUNS. No selling the GN's ..no waay. I had a R32 GTS-t that was worked over very strong.
I was at Kadena from 90-98 and I worked at the Muns. Ask her where she worked and if she knew an AMMO troop Gonzo. Small world. I left there and went to Spangdahlem Germany.
Grand National has always been my favorite car. Had a chance to buy a 87. Should have bought it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going Overseas!!!