G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Consumer Reports Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 08:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Consumer Reports Review

You sure that wasn't JD power sending the manilla envelope and a $buck?

Old 11-24-2003, 08:52 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

hahahaha, (still laughing).................
Yeh, tho I'm sure C & D, R & T, Motortrend, etal would be closer to the mark on toasters than C & R is on cars............
hahahahahahahahahahaha

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 11-24-2003, 08:56 PM

Gsedanman,
I agree with you. If we were to do everything CR says, we would all be identical and fun would be a past thought.

2003.5 G35C BL/GR, NAV, PREM, AERO, TINT, SPORT, Splash, V1

Old 11-24-2003, 09:05 PM

I don't know what those guys are talking about....my toaster handles just fine. My dishwasher is a bit tough to steer when the VDC is off but.....

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/n.../37598#ratings<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 11/24/03 06:07 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 11-24-2003, 09:05 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wjfm1--- There's a few 'funnies' today...check this one out about Motortrends Car of the Year:
MotorTrend C of T Year
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 11-25-2003, 03:07 PM

actually the MR2 is an awesome handling car. dont forget its MR, mid engine rear drive and its light. awesome handling. I wouldnt be surprised about that. but the miata? idunno.

Old 11-25-2003, 03:42 PM

Well Consumer Reports reviews quite a few more items than appliances. I'm sure they have reviewed camera's that a camera afficianado didn't agree with, computers that a tech geeks didn't agree with, foods that some chefs didn't agree with. Point is I have heard varying degree's of opinion on the car magazines reviews either so they aren't setting any standards here either. I'm not siding with CR because I test drove the coupe and I thought it was rolling on f'ng rails so I think the handling is great. But we don't know their criteria so it's premature to just dismiss a major publication on the basis of one review.

That's why car magazines also do an update section and the reviews modified as they get a better handle of the car's performance............

Old 11-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Consumer Reports is pathetic for reviewing cars. They should stick to reviewing shampoo.

I mean the testers are made up of a bunch of nerds who have no clue how to drive and don't understand the whole concept of a performance car.

If it's not slow, boring, and gets at least 35 MPG, then it's a bad car in their view. The only exception to this is they somehow like the BMW 5 series. But of course they comment that the V-8 in the 540 is a waste of money and gas [img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

They have absolutely no credibility in testing cars, IMO.

And it's not just this test - they have repeatedly embarrassed themselves with absurd comments on car tests. Just look at their tested performance numbers: whatever the true 0-60 time is on a car, add 2-3 seconds to arrive at what Consumer Reports gets.

I'm telling ya, they're a bunch of tools. Don't waste your time reading their automotive reviews.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 11-26-2003, 11:21 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

At the limit, don't our cars oversteer hard? From a safety standpoint, understeer is easier to handle for your "average" driver.

<hr></blockquote>

No, it only oversteers if you're on the gas hard in a turn, since its RWD. But in terms of general handling, it definitely understeers at the limit quite a bit. Understeers too much for my tastes.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 11-27-2003, 06:20 AM

This review was probably not the coupe but the sedan. There have been unfavorable reviews of it in magazines other than CR:

http://www.caranddriver.com/article....rticle_id=1771

All that acreage between the wheels should bode ill for the coupe's handling, especially since the example pictured here, at 3485 pounds, totes 122 more pounds than the recently tested and similarly equipped 350Z Touring from December; and especially considering that the G35 sedan was knocked for nervous oversteer that made turning off the electronic skid control on a public road a certified health threat.

At track speeds, the fun fades in the turns not because of tail wagging but owing to progressive front-end scrubbing. As with the Z, the G hits understeer at the border of its performance envelope, but it won't intrude on your daily enjoyment of the car's spry footwork unless you view your morning commute as a time trial.

In straight performance numbers, the G35 keeps the pace. The G35's 6.0-second 0-to-60-mph dash and 14.6 quarter-mile are within a 10th or two of the Type-S and 330Ci (and about a half-second down on the Z Track), even if the aural experience is lacking.

This statement counters the statements of several G owners who say they regularly kill Type S' and 330i's.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...&sb=5&part=all

https://g35driver.com/forums/showfla...&sb=5&part=all

Of the FM offshoots we've tried so far, none won the near-universal approval enjoyed by the G35 coupe. Perhaps that's because the G35, positioned as a luxury touring car, seems a more honest sales pitch than the go-for-it 350Z, considering the limits of the engine and chassis. No doubt it has something to do with the fact that few of the G35 sedan's foibles manifested themsleves here.

Luxury touring car?

Old 11-27-2003, 08:49 AM

after spending a whole weekend playing with the car . IMO I don't think the g35coupe should of been marketed as an entry level luxury car. The only thing kind of luxurious about it is the interior and smoked chrome grill. Other then that the car is just a straight sports car.

The exhaust note and road noise is way too much to be considered luxury, plus the overall styling.

[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] I got to race a old 5.0 mustang and a Mercedes S430. Next to the 5.0 I felt confident with the looks and power of the G. Next to the s430 I felt like I was just sitting in a toy and thought he had me on power. With the 5.0 we hit a bunch of twisties and it seemed to be just a drivers race. The s430 was a drag race for the straight merging freeway onramp. Now the s430 was luxury, but he started falling back when I hit 3rd.

I've also had experience going against the BMW 330i, Lexus IS300 and Acura CL type S. On the street it's really hard to say which car outperforms the other, because you don't know how much effort the other driver is giving. If it's all just straight line racing, the G35coupe always came out on top. On the twisties in Canyons it's hard to say. Some drivers will just give up after the first couple turns. Other's like this crazy GT cobra and firebird went full out even cutting the double yellow around cars in blind turns. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] dammit if it wasn't for the blind turn I would of had him. Yeah right some of those domestics have too much power to be street legal and I know they can easilly dust a stock G.

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem