G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Consumer Reports Review

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 01:23 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Consumer Reports Review

I was looking at the current Consumer Report Magazine on the newstand and saw reviews of the G35 Sedan and 350Z (no G35 coupe was reviewed, but I assume their comments would be about the same).

For both cars they listed: Pros: Straight line acceleration.
Cons: Handling

This was the first time I've seen a negative comment on handling for these cars. They said something along the lines that the sedan becomes very unstable near its cornering limits even with VDC on. They criticized the Z as not handling very well compared to its competition (i.e. boxter), and not even as well as an MR2 or Miata????
I don't recall any of the main stream automotive magazines mentioning negatives on handling. Normally I don't associated Consurmer Reports with performance car information, but whats up with their comments?

Old 11-24-2003, 01:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Consumer Reports Review

Why would they mention the handling of the MR2 and the Miata to the G or Z when they aren’t competitors in prices, performance, size etc? They both weigh about 500 lbs less then the G sedan or Z of course they’re going to feel more nimble. Man talk about a bunch of dopes.

Old 11-24-2003, 02:03 PM

The problem with Consumer Reports car reviews is that their number one concern is safety. So, if they feel that any little thing will jeopardize the drivers safety, they immediately claim it as being a negative attribute of the vehicle. Of course, safety is important, but I do not think that anybody who buys a Z or G35 is buying it because of it's safety record. Besides, it is usually the driver that makes the car unsafe, not the other way around.

G35 Coupe - DG/G - 6MT - Premium - Aero - CC

Old 11-24-2003, 02:12 PM

Handling a con, WTF!!

I have a Consumer Reports online subscription that I use for appliances, but I never look at their car section. I trust car reviews to car magazines. Not some magazine that has a yearly car issue.

<font color=blue>Gpers</font color=blue>
'03.5 S Brilliant Silver/Graphite
Prem/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 11-24-2003, 02:26 PM

What year Z was it for? Was it the 03 or the 04 with safer and better Euro suspension?

Old 11-24-2003, 02:30 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL, That seems to contradict all that we've experienced, and read about our fine G. Maybe CR techs forgot to check tire pressures b4 they tested.[img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
I can only say it lowers my opinion of what I thought to be a reputable publication-- Consumer Reports-- and wholeheartedly share FDNameBrand's comment that they should stick to evaluating appliances.
If they continue with this kind of BS, they will lose even more credibility and customers.
CR sucks.[img]/w3timages/icons/frown.gif[/img]
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 11-24-2003, 02:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're idiots. If they're comparing it to a Miata, then yeah, it doesn't handle as predictably. But the Miata is the gold standard for front engine/rear drive tossability. And the other two they mention have engines in the back. It's apples and oranges. A MR2 feels incredibly light and unstable up front if you're used to front engine sensations, but it sure as hell isn't a sloppy handler. They may as well try comparing them to a AWD car. Or a motorcycle.

Cars they ought to compare the G and Z to include the RX-8, Crossfire, Corvette C5, and the various German coupes and sport sedans. Maybe I should read the Miata review. "Pros: Handling. Cons: grossly overweight, tipping the scales even over a Lotus Elise."

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 11-24-2003, 04:16 PM

I think the reviews come from the owners. Consumer reports sent me a big manilla folder with a brand new $1 dollar bill and a packet of questions about the G35coupe. I used the dollar and tossed the packet.

BS G35C 6spd navi/aero/prem

Old 11-24-2003, 04:26 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought that's how their reports worked too. If that is how it works then I don't understand how those reports could be so divergent to reports here and on other similar sites.
Strange......
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 11-24-2003, 04:28 PM

thats bull crap if i recall didnt he G handle almost as well as the M3 in the skid pad wasnt it somthing like .91 to .92G in the skid pads that pritty damn impressive if u ask me

<a href="mailto:Carlos3186@hotmail....otmail.com</a>

Old 11-24-2003, 05:38 PM

Consumer Reports is only good for one thing where cars are concerned: the extensive database of reliability stats they call their "frequency of repair records". It's very useful and generally quite representative of cars' actual reliability. Otherwise, I'd advise anyone to ignore everything they print about cars.

Old 11-24-2003, 06:24 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with you....
Actually they stated they expect the car to have excellant reliability based on Infiniti's prior models.
As I said in my original post, I don't rely on them for performance evaluations. However, I seem to recall the point about the sedan handling issues being mentioned somewhere else in another review I had read in the past. But I've never seen any criticism of the Z (or the coupe) in the handling dept. anywhere else. That's what got me questioning WTF they are doing!!

Old 11-24-2003, 06:30 PM

At the limit, don't our cars oversteer hard? From a safety standpoint, understeer is easier to handle for your "average" driver. Therefore, in CR's eyes, our cars don't handle well, safety wise.

Old 11-24-2003, 08:13 PM

since you guys mention that this is a appliance magazine making a yearly car issue, i think that car and driver, road and track, motortrend, etc.. should start making once a year appliance issues.

"we really enjoyed the easy to use interface of this new microwave, but it was slower then the toaster oven in the 0-60 and didnt handle as well as the TV in the slalom."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports Review