G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

**LOTS OF NEW PICS of my G + Willow Springs Raceway, CA**

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking **LOTS OF NEW PICS of my G + Willow Springs Raceway, CA**

I took my 03 AT coupe to Willow Springs Raceway this past Saturday, 01/27/07 - first time at any race track ever, won't bemy last! I had a blast and learned a lot about my G and driving track. Just want to share my experience with fellow forum members.

First off, the ride:

Original...basically stock on 07/26/06:

Old photos - G riding on stock 17" wheels and the Eibach springs.

Now with all body/NA/suspension/brake mods as of 01/29/07:

That is the 1st generation Crawford plenum (06/03), Skunk2 5/8" spacer, personally made hypergrounding kit, popcharger intake, custom intake tube, Scot's VRT front strut bar, very tight!

Also with JBT large brake kit (OEM manufacturer of Rotora) and just got the Tein Flex Coilover with EDFC, replacing my Eibach sport springs:

This ridiculous initial drop when it was first installed before the adjustment, the G was basically sitting on top of the 20" Falkens!

Had the EDFC install in the ashtray - love it - must have for track as I can adjust the damping from soft to hard while driving on the track (the glowing green display!)

These are 20" Sevas S-7 rims - handle very well on the track, but not as fast for take-off as 18's or 19's.

For the track: I tried to put on the 18" Enkei RZ-5 rims but they don't fit the front with the oversized 6-piston brake calipers. Only the rear wheels fit with the 4-piston calipers.

By the way, FOR SALE: the four (4) 18" Enkei RZ-5 rims mounted/balanced with Falken 452's - staggered 8.5"/245 and 9.5"/275 - $1200 firmed, local pickup in Orange County (less than 500 miles on them!)
Look older photo below: G with 18" Enkei RZ-5 rims, Falken 452 tires, stock brakes and Eibach sportsprings -very comfortable ride - looked very decent.

AND NOW, the track day at Willow Springs Raceway.....in no particular order!

Check below website for the track and event info:
http://www.speedventures.com/1-27-2007_event.asp

I had such a blast. It was exhilarating. The weather was perfect initially: cold and a little windy - mid 40's to very low 60's. However, it later drizzled around 12-1pm.

My G is not a light car (far from being a Lotus) but it still handles amazingly well, especially taking turns at 60-90mph+. Thanks to my Tein Flex Coilover and EDFC - I was able to dial them down to 0 for stiffness/track use while driving. The G tucked down and grabbed at every turn without any rolls whatsovever. Solid performance. Thanks also to the VRT front Strut Bar and the front/rear sway bar setup for keeping the G tight.

The NA mods with ECU reflash really kicked the G in high gear and made it accelerate faster out of turns and on the straightaways. However, I definetly need FI or SC for that pure extra horspower to compete with the others.

My big brake kit was a lifesaver - stopping and slowing down with a light touch with confidence. The brakes have only about 3000 miles. They held up extremely well and did not deteriorated at all during all the fast turns and brakings. I can only imagine with the little oem non-brembo brakes!

The long stretch after turn #9, I only got up to a little above 100mph before I had to slow down to make a 90 degree left turn, #1. The instructor in front of me was in a SC'd Mustang. He took off on me, up to 130-145mph before slowing down on turn #1. Freaking fast - can't wait to have my Stillen Stage 4 SC install next week.

The drizzle make the track very slippery as a few cars spun out. Another G from another member on the forum over corrected himself on turn #3 and scraped the wall on the driver side - not too bad, he's ok. Another 300ZX spun out in front of me, on turn #5, taking the turn too late and too fast. He was OK also.

When it was drizzling, I actually learned driving the track better. I had to slow down from 2:04 min/lap to 2:22 min/lap and drive the lines correctly, cutting the apex, and making all good turns. Learned a lot. I realized that I need a 5-point seatbelt system as my back is killing me still. With the sharp and fast turns, the G-force was throwing me left and right. I had to brace my left elbow and left knee against the door for stability. It's better to be strapped down to concentrate more on the driving!

I can't wait to return in March or April when the weather will be perfect for the track. By then, the SC and 5-point seatbelt will be already in my G. We, as a forum, especially in So Cal should organize a group outing at Willow Springs Raceway Track Day! It will be so awesome.

I learned that for track use, my suspension and brake upgrades are indespensible for my safety and G's performance. The needed horsepowers will cut down my lap time! and practice X 1000000000! Since this is my first time, I only tracked 70%-85%.

I rambled on a little bit - It was just too exciting to not share! Happy modding!

Last edited by Good2Go; 01-31-2007 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:39 AM
Overglorified Altima
Received 187 Likes on 128 Posts
the drop looks MUCH better

Old 01-30-2007, 01:51 AM
Lexus IS350
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Drop looks great. Im not gonna get those springs from you though, sorry Andy. My front tires are too wide with my drop right now and rub when I turn hard. Should have gone with 255's instead of 265's.

Im all for a track-day. Ill be tracking my car in April or during the summer for sure. I just want to get headers and a tune and sways(soon) before I do so.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:03 AM
Very cool, wish I could've gone. Can't stop starring at the before and after pics of your car!!

Old 01-30-2007, 02:20 AM
Originally Posted by extreme4377
Drop looks great. Im not gonna get those springs from you though, sorry Andy. My front tires are too wide with my drop right now and rub when I turn hard. Should have gone with 255's instead of 265's.

Im all for a track-day. Ill be tracking my car in April or during the summer for sure. I just want to get headers and a tune and sways(soon) before I do so.
Cool, no problem. I think I save them for now then.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:33 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
omg, i'm so jealous! looks like u had a blast! i hope i can track my car this summer... need more mods first lol

Old 01-30-2007, 03:16 AM
PM sent!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:40 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by Good2Go
I
Had the EDFC install in the ashtray - love it - must have for track as I can adjust the dampening from soft to hard while driving on the track (the glowing green display!)
Sweet ride!! If your car is see the track, why do you have a short ram intake? Makes no sense. There is no difference in determining racing class between the two. Also, good luck with the EDFC if you attempt auto-X or anything more competative then an open track day. It's illegal for SCCA competition.

Old 01-30-2007, 09:43 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
nice need a system

Old 01-30-2007, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
Sweet ride!! If your car is see the track, why do you have a short ram intake? Makes no sense. There is no difference in determining racing class between the two. Also, good luck with the EDFC if you attempt auto-X or anything more competative then an open track day. It's illegal for SCCA competition.
This was not a racing event/competition and I'm not going to race or do any auto-x or drifting. It's just a track day which open to all cars, stocks and modified. They divided us into three groups depending on our track experience, to learn and improve driving on track. I was a first timer, was in the novice group. In our novice group, the intructors lead us through the course a few times to learn the lines and turns. Then, we were on our own. There were also intermediate and advance groups. We learn about the lines, turning on the apex, passing - Just see how the cars perform, not to drive beyond one's capability and have fun on the track. They have very strict track rules including passing. Enthusiastic fast driving - yes; racing per se - no. For me, it was just a great day to learn how to drive on the track and to see what my G can and cannot do. I'll do it again to improve my track skills. I have no skills and desires to enter any racing competion.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice, i love that track... fastest track in the west... but never been on it in the coupe yet, only motorcycle...

any videos?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:00 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
looks like tons of funs

Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 AM
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts
Nice pics. How'd did your numbers look after the mods?

Old 01-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Originally Posted by R1cky
nice, i love that track... fastest track in the west... but never been on it in the coupe yet, only motorcycle...

any videos?
Yep, the fastest track in the west since 1953. I had video camera on while zipping around the track and and I also walked around videotaping the track and other cars. I just don't have the software to convert and transfer the footage into the laptop. I'll try.

Old 01-30-2007, 11:19 AM
Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
Nice pics. How'd did your numbers look after the mods?
Honestly, I haven't got it on the dyno yet. I'll do it next month after my Stillen stage 4 SC installed - I'm curious myself.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: **LOTS OF NEW PICS of my G + Willow Springs Raceway, CA**