G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Aghh! What to do, what to do?!? A Z man faces reality...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aghh! What to do, what to do?!? A Z man faces reality...

Hi guys.
Up until a few days ago I would have never considered getting a G35 SC. Sure I had seen pictures of it in magazines but it just did not "WOW" me...Yesterday, that all changed.

I pulled up to a local restaurant and there it was in the parking lot. Emaculate amongst the salt and snow stained cars surronding it. I literally did a double take as I tried to see what kind of car it was.

At first I thought "Is that a 350Z?" then as I got closer I could tell that it seemed bigger more refined. Then I saw the Mt. Fugi logo on the hood and my jaw slackened.."Oh man, THATS the G35 Sports Coupe?!?".

I didn't want the unseen owner to think I was casing out his ride so I did a quick scan of the exterior and interior and then went in to eat. I even looked around the tables to see who *seemed* most likely to be the driver but could come up with no matches. By the time I finished my meal, the car was gone. But damn did it leave an impression.

Now, a little background on myself.

I currently have and love a '91 300Z 2x2 with a normally aspirated engine, silver body and black leather interior. It was love at first site with this car. I have never owned another vehicle that seemed so much a part of me while driving.

Sadly, she is not getting any younger and with 140,000 miles my faithful steed is starting to show signs of her age. A year ago I had the engine rebuilt so it still has plenty of power and an urge to impress on the road but I am starting to resign myself to thinking that a new car is needed.

This is my ONLY car currently and even though the back seat is small enough to choke a hamster, it does manage to carry cargo very well. I even (with the seats down of course) managed to bring home a 42 inch TV in the back once. I LOVE the fact that this sports car turned out to be far more practical than my family and friends ever assumed.

Okay, so enough with the history lesson, lets get back to my current situation.

So, I need a new car, love my Z, what is there to do? At first my gaze fell on the new 350Z. Aggresive, awesome styling, a thing of power. Funny though, just like the G it didnt really wow me until I saw one drive down the street.

My first experience with a Nissan dealer just trying to secure a test drive resulted in utter frustration though. Same old story "We only give test drives to people committing to buy!". Yeah well, if they were selling so good how come they had half a dozen on the lot? Thats a dealer I won't be returning to. The more I researched and called around the more I learned that all the areas dealers were infalting the price between 2-4K over MSRP. Well that dog aint gonna hunt. Still, I waited as I knew that situation couldn't last.

Weeks went by as I did my obligatory research online and in magazines and while they were all very positive of the new Z's they also spoke of the lack of storage in the back. As I drove in my 2x2 I couldn't count how many times I used the extra space to haul groceries or luggage on a weekend trip or even my new dog (she loves to sit in the back on trips).

Small amentities in my Z which I took for granted seem missing in the new 350's or required costly option packages.
Things like:
* Power Leather Seats
* Power Mirrors with defrost
* Removable T-Top style roof

I know I want and need a new car but I don't want to loose that which I am used to.

After yesterdays "encounter" I began searching with vigor all I could find about the G35 SC.

Everything points to the 6/MT. In a vain, or so I thought, search I drove to the areas only Infinity Dealer and they had 20 of them on the lot, most were already spoken for. The dealership was closed as I got there rather late but I got to get up close and personal with the G and I liked what I saw. I was stunned at just how similar to my current 300Z it really looked.

Kinda like how the new movie Enterprise still harkens back to the old TV show Enterprise is the best way I can describe it. Just more refined, stylish...mature.

A salesman, apparently waiting for a ride home, asked if I needed anything and even though the dealership was closed we sat around for a good 30 minutes just "talking" about cars, the G, the Z new and old and I was immeditately impressed by the Infiniti "experience". Sure, they were closed but I am about to head back today and and take one for a test drive.

And thats the kicker. When I asked the guy "What do I need to do to take a G35SC for a test drive?" he just smiled and said "Um, come back when we are open."

I honestly don't know what I am going to do at this point. If I get a G35 I want it in black but all they have left on the lot in the 6/MT is a silver one. That might be too much like my current Z. I think if I finally retire my Z then I should start fresh with a new color. In order to get a black 6/MT with the options I want (to be honest, I just want the sunroof, everything else seems standard) i will probably have to order it and it could be May/June before I could pick it up.

I honestly don't know what do...As I said, I will be leaving shortly to go back to the dealer.

I guess there isn't much point to this ramble, I just wanted to share what I am thinking and whats going on. Something tells me that all too soon I might be joining your ranks.

To be fair I am also going to check out the 350Z up close as well today as a Nissan dealer is next door to the Infinity dealership. Actually, its the one I bought my '91 from. Maybe this is a homecoming of sorts. Who knows...

There was a time when the thrill of a 2 seat sportscar would have dominated my thinking. But all last night as I tossed and turned it wasnt the 350 I was thinking about, it was the G35SC.

Thanks for letting me go on guys!

See ya later!

Matt
Cincinnati Ohio

Old 01-29-2003, 03:40 PM
Re: Aghh! What to do, what to do?!? A Z man faces reality...

Thanks for the post, let us know if you need any questions at all answered.

Andrew

2003 coupe 6MT blue premium aero (on order)

Old 01-29-2003, 04:16 PM

Matt...no matter which car you choose (between the Z and G35C) I doubt you'll be disappointed.
FWIW...there are a few documented cases of guys trading their new 350Z in on a G35C. Reason...more refinement, comfort, storage space, same performance.
Either way you can't lose. Good Luck.

Old 01-29-2003, 05:21 PM

Without a doubt get the G6MT. I traded a 350Z in for one and don't regreat it at all. The Z lacks room, the ride is stiff and missing many luxury features that you get on the G for the same price. Performance wise there is very little difference. Get the silver Coupe, you won't be sorry plus it easier to take care of then black.

Old 01-29-2003, 06:11 PM

Well, I just back a little while ago. I got to take a blue automatic G35SC for a test drive. Man, those things can move. I was up to 80 in no time yet because of the handling it didn't really *feel* like it. Thats good and bad I suppose. In my 300 I can really feel the aceleration, either that or me ham handing the clutch. ;-)

The dealer won't budge on the price though. 34,915 for the 6/MT which has the Performance Package on it.

I was pleasently surprised by the wealth of comfort features. The seats were very nice and comfy and left me lots of room. The controls were a little oddly placed but I am used to my current car so thats understandable. I do prefer my current seat controls on the left as opposed to the right in the G but I could get used to that. The trunk and backseat area was very roomy. Far more than I had expected.

The car handled just as reported. Firm yet forgiving. Turning radius was a little large but ground clearance seemed good. i will say that, and no surprise here, that it lacked the fighter het cockpit *feel* to my current Z.

After chatting with the salesguy (again, ZERO pressure from this guy, I almost want to give him my money!) I strolled next door to the Z dealership. They had a young kid saleman that didnt really know much but he tried hard. Right from the top i noticed the "Market Availability" markup on the Z's. $2500 OVER MSRP. They only had three in stock and none of them was what I wanted but after getting a chance to look one over and sit in one I had the following observations.

Door Handles...WTF??? I hated them, look ugly and hard to open.

Radio Antenea...Seems chinsy. I would have preferred the retractable one like my current Z wields.

Cargo Space...Okay, not as bad as I would have thought and yes my dog *could* fit in the back, although I dont think she would like it as much. You could *maybe* fit some luggage and bags back there but it would be a tight squeeze. That cross bar really sucks up the usable area.

Interior control layout. Nice, but still not as intuitive as I would have liked.

Overall, the Z did seem much more like a sports car than the G and thats totally understandable.

The dealer wont allow test drives without some sort of confirmation of sale though and I still wont do that.

Todays trip left me even more confused though. Having now seen a Z and sat in one, it seems the cargo issue isn't quite such a deal breaker. The fit and finish are indeed nice and its got a sweet profile to it.

The G, as you guys no doubt know, is mor erefined but still ripples with a sense of power. Inside though it seems much more pedistrian, more restrianed.

The Nissan dealer said that if I ordered a Z they would sell it for MSRP with no markup, mighty nice of them.

So, I am left with four main choices...

Buy a Silver G35 6/MT now which is near perfect as to what I want but maybe not the color I want.

Order a Black 6/MT now, which has exactly what I want but have to wait until spring for it. Dealer said could be even June until I could take delivery. The advantage would be it would give me time to sell my 300Z and also have much more cash to put down on it.

Order a 350Z with what I want and the color I want and also wait to spring but only pay MSRP.

Keep looking elsewhere for either the exact G or Z that I want.

As someone said above, its obvious that both cars are very nice and I really can't go wrong. I guess it depends on how *right* I want to be. Again, I appreciate you guys listening to my quandry.

The saga continues...

Matt
Cincinnati, Ohio

Old 01-29-2003, 06:36 PM

Matt,

I am sure if you choose the G you will be very happy with your choice. Sounds like you are doing all the right homework.

One thing I can tell you for sure though, You will NEVER EVER fit a 42" TV in the G35 Coupe... ;-)

G35 Coupe / Premium / Nav
Ivory Pearl / Willow Leather
SSR GT3 19"s w/ Bridgestone SO-3

Old 01-29-2003, 07:46 PM

You are taking the right approach man, good job. Too bad they won't let you take a Z out so you could do a full analysis. MY advice... get the color you want, you'll thank yourself in the long run.

Andrew

2003 coupe 6MT blue premium aero (on order)

Old 01-29-2003, 10:14 PM

Why would you pay more then msrp for a Z. Here in Denver they have them sitting all over the lots and they are discounting them up to $1500. You will pay msrp for a G though but there are less of them.

Old 01-29-2003, 11:17 PM

i had the same dilemma that you had. wanted a Z but the salesmen were ****** and wouldnt allow a drive. even asked for a 1500 dollar deposit and to run my credit. fast forward a month.......wrecked my GS, and strolled into an Infiniti dealership. i am now the proud owner of a DG 6MT coupe. i couldnt be happier. allow, as a man, i want more power but this thing is smokin'. a day doesnt go by that i dont get stares, points, or even questions about the car. good luck on your decision........

Doc

You have been weighed.....You have been measured.....and you have been found WANTING!!!

Old 01-31-2003, 02:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never, ever let them run your credit until after you've set the price in stone and are ready to sign on the dotted line. If they run your credit and you don't buy, it's a ding against your credit rating.

2003.5 G35 Sedan Desert Platinum/Graphite Premium/Sport/Aero/Nav/Winter

Old 02-03-2003, 02:23 PM

Another small thing to consider, the Z doesn't have any kind of option for a sunroof. It may be insignificant to some, but I think that is a big fat negative in my eyes. The G35 coupe has the sunroof option, looks nicer in the rear, better customer service from the Infiniti folks (free loaner I35's or QX4's), and more bang for the buck.

Just my .02

Old 02-03-2003, 02:46 PM
Registered

thats a tuff decision..but on the latest car and driver review..it stated that the coupe is more of a z than the z is...

Both really great cars..its all about preference...If I were u..go for the coupe...my 2cents..

Reason 1 - has backseats...
Reason 2 - I think styling is better than z..

color wise..go for the DG...best color for G..I think..

Old 02-03-2003, 08:00 PM

Well, I have finally gotten some Nissan dealers that want to deal (having my mom as a friend of one of the dealers families has helped) and have now taken both a 350 and G35 out for a spin. Unfortunately they were both auto's.

So am I closer to making a decision? NOPE...Still a toss up. Nissan sure made it hard to pick.

Damn, I really WANT to like the Z, but once I get inside one all the coolness seems to fade away. Its the opposite for the G35. I think its okay looking, my initial love of its look has diminished some but once inside it seems to cater more to the driver.

I was all set to plunk down my cash and get the G35SC until I took my girlfriend (much younger than I) to see it and after having said how nice she always thought it looked (in pictures) once she saw it in person she said "Nope, that cars not for you, you wouldn't look right in it!". Now, how can I argue with the women that told me white tennis shoes don't go with black jeans?!?

Of course there is the fact that she ISN'T paying for the car either!

As an interesting addition to this saga, the Black G35 SC I originally wanted to get when I visited my dealer had already been sold. I have since learned to whom...To a neighbor of my girlfriend. I see it every time I go to her place!

Unfortunately the guy hasn't cleaned it since he bought it and its covered in dirt and road salt. Shame too...As it is, it doesn't look very pretty and doesn't stand out at all. He really needs to get that baby cleaned up and waxed.

Matt

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by Madmatt on 02/03/03 05:03 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-03-2003, 08:23 PM

I have seen 350Zs numerous times... I am getting tired of Zs looks.. while G35coupe grows on you but some how I am getting tired of 350Zs.. It doesn't look so appealing anymore. Well at least that's for me. I would definitely go for G35coupe though. I just don't have the "feeling" toward 350Zs anymore. It's like looking at Audi TT. Once was prettiest car on the road but now it's just TT..
Just my .02

Old 02-03-2003, 09:40 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

Get the G, dump the girl, in that order, enuf said.

<font color=blue>-Rambo</font color=blue>
All your base are belong to us!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aghh! What to do, what to do?!? A Z man faces reality...