G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New at the G world, need advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2003, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New at the G world, need advice

Hi everybody,
Just wanted to introduce myself. Just bought a G35 5AT, didn't feel the full potential of the car yet but I'm a little concerned cause I couldn't find a 6MT to buy it. Does it shows too much of a difference between those 2? I need some feedbacks on acceleration on the two models. Being a VW Jetta owner, i'm pretty happy with this car so far. I had a VR6 Supercharged Jetta that was pretty quick and stick-shift. Never had an auto before and need some feedbacks from you guys that has been driving the G.

Thanks.

Leo

Old 12-04-2003, 06:19 PM
Re: New at the G world, need advice

b4 any flame wars begin i'll just wrap this one quick...
AT vs MT g are very close to each other than any other cars with AT or MT(example hondas where MT dominates AT)...
anyway back to real topic...
MT: fastest 0-60 was 5.5sec but most people won't reach that time on streets and will be hard on track also.. 5.9 about right on streets... 1/4 is around 14flat to 14.4(good driver of course)..
AT: fastest 0-60 was 6.1sec... 1/4 is about 14.2 to 14.6(makes a lot of difference using D mode to MM) yet fastest stock g was AT.. i believe 14flat...
P.S make sure reset the ECU after 1200 break in period

Old 12-04-2003, 06:21 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to G35Driver Leo. Congrats on your ride. There are many M/T drivers here as well as many A/T drivers and we're mostly all very happy with our chariots.
As is the norm, the manual will be a tic or 2 quicker in the sprints but not a lot different.
I'm not sure without looking up the specs how the G compares to your 'charged Jetta. Prolly very close.
You'll like your A/T, they're fun to shift too.
Any questions, feel free.
GSM

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red> <font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 12-04-2003, 06:44 PM

"AT: fastest 0-60 was 6.1sec... 1/4 is about 14.2 to 14.6(makes a lot of difference using D mode to MM) yet fastest stock g was AT.. i believe 14flat... "

Just to clarify, if thats 1badGs coupe you are thinking of, than it wasnt stock, it had injen intake and borla exchaust.

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors
Best 1/4 mile 14.371 @ 100.29, 60ft 2.347

Old 12-04-2003, 06:48 PM

no it wasn't him i personally saw at the track but i don't think he's member on g35driver... i'm just guessing best time since no one in here MT owners never get to 14flat b4... if someone break that record then never mind about AT being fastest one..

Old 12-04-2003, 06:54 PM

Wow thats great for a stock one.

Anyway, I forgot to welcome sickg35. You have found the best G site around, enjoy, learn and contribute.

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors

Old 12-04-2003, 07:04 PM

Thanks for the info. Doesn't look to be that much of a difference. I even came back to the dealer to return the car for a MT but then decided to keep it. Was never a fan of AT but this one seems to be better than the others.

Why do you think I should reset the ECU after breaking in? What's the best way to do that?
Sorry for the dumb questions but I'm new in the Japanese scene, have had German cars for a while. I'm pretty impressed with this car. It's a nice machine. Congrats to all of you guys that has been driving it for a while.

Old 12-04-2003, 07:08 PM

There is a procedure to reset the ecu in the DIY secion. It will reset the learned algorithms from the break in perion(granny mode) as you are supposed to drive it slow. You can also have it done by the dealer if you dont feel like doing it yourself(thats what I did) when you get your next oil change.

Old 12-04-2003, 08:39 PM

it's bcuz our AT tranny has driver's adaptive thingy which learn your driving style to tuned up itself to best fuel economy while you were in break in periods... those will rob a significant of hp and tq from you... just disconnect the battery for minimum of 5hours and get ready to say hello to missing power
enjoy ur G!!

Old 12-04-2003, 10:17 PM

But isn't true that if the tranny adapts to the driver, it would adapt to my driving style after the breaking in period without having to reset ECU??? This is the way I thought it should work, it adapts overtime at the driver style of driving

Old 12-04-2003, 10:43 PM

I have been bitting the bullet for quite some time on the issue SickG35 brings up, everyone suggests resetting the ECU, I agree with him in that the transmission continuesly addapts to your driving adjusting accordingly as needed,
I rebuild automatic transmissions for transit buses and they are equipped with ECU's that addapt just like the "G" ,Since they have to addapt up to four drivers a day the algorithms are learned in less than three or four take offs .
What I am saying is that having a automatic transmission now a days is ok , a combination of efficiency comfort and reliability.
And if you are not into quarter mile , 0-60, and dragging speeds, you may be into cruising or just high speed like I am, in wich case the "G" does very well as you can see in this picture[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

149516-DSC00366.JPG

Old 12-04-2003, 10:58 PM

The performance isn't really different between the two. It's either you want classic config with a clutch, or you don't. As for AT being faster, is that really true? I thot the MT was faster?

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 12-04-2003, 11:02 PM

you are correct eventually ECU will adapt to your new driving habits but i'm telling you it takes really long time... from my experience, after 1200miles, i drove it really hard(rev up to 6k every gear) about 50miles b4 i reset ECU and i still felt power gain after ECU reset...
i'm just guessing since ECU learned we drive like old people for 1200miles and those 50miles of hard driving won't affect that much and ECU just think "oh his driving hard bcuz he needs speed up" not "oh i better learn that new driving style"...so it's up to you ECU will learn it slowly to your new style but if you want instant reset and adapt to your new style just reset the ECU... i hope it makes sense to you...

Old 12-04-2003, 11:06 PM

"As for AT being faster, is that really true? I thot the MT was faster?"
i dunno.. MT should be faster but i never seen any MT stock g run 14flat or better... but i've seen stock AT coupe ran 14flat at the track with my eyes so... i'm just guessing but if you can find other stock MT g runs better then be my guest to take fastest stock g position...

Old 12-04-2003, 11:16 PM

Did he run 14flat in drive mod or changing gears in MM mode?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New at the G world, need advice