G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

almost died today.. omg

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: almost died today.. omg

the composition of pilot sports requires them to heat up before they are in there "zone of performance" when they are cold they have very little stick to them, but once they warm up... they are like buble gum.. lol and gum isn't too sticky in freezing temps!

Drive safe ya'll
-Eric

'03.5 Silver/Black | Prem | Perf | Aero | Stillen Hi-Flow | Z -Tube | Grounding Kit | Nismo Oil/Radiator Caps | Solid Allum Pedals | Diamond Matts | Tints | Valentine1 | Hide-Away License Plate!

Old 12-06-2003, 01:52 AM

I've driven the 18" Pilots in 5degree weather last winter in NY. They are a little stiff until they warm up but they were fine even on the coldest of days. But... just the hint of snow sent me spinning and slipping. This winter have Blizzak LM22's and I was out today in 6 inches of fresh snow and everything was fine. Ice, slush, uphill, downhill, cornering...no problem. Of course you have to be sensible when driving in this weather, but these tires have restored my confidence in the G on snowy days like today! GET SNOW TIRES or STAY HOME!

Old 12-06-2003, 01:57 AM

2Fast...I thought it was funny that you brought up the fact that your $40K car was getting blown away by cheap rides down the snowy highway. Has anyone read the word "practical" being used to describe this car?! I'm sure that $100K+ Ferraris suck even worse in the snow! I just have this mental image of some rich dude, determined to drive his Ferrari in a blizzard and being pissed that Civics were blowing his doors off!

Personally, living in CT, I won't even consider driving my G in the snow. Sure I could get $1000 worth of snow tires, but the risk is still there. Additionally, you have sand, rocks and salt, not to mention other drivers to deal with! I personally think it's a better investment to spend $3-4K on a beater car/truck to get you through the rough days. I've got this old beater which I only insure during the winter and it's great. I hate the car, but I can't bear to think of my G getting coated with all the crap that the DOT slathers on our roads!

'04 6MT, Laser Red/Graphite, Prem, Navi, 4-Piece Aero, BSM

Old 12-06-2003, 02:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yo, 2fast, glad to hear that you made it back to Teaneck alive at least!

Just like many members posted, the Pilots are summer tires and handle best in dry weather (and even better in warmer temps). I've been driving on my Pilots up until last nite before the snow hit the ground and I've had no problem at all. However, I knew that I wasn't even going to start my car this morning after hearing the weather forecast. And, when I got up today, I looked outside and went back to bed. I have my snow tires and wheels on order. According to most members, snow tires on the G make it somewhat reasonable to take it out in snowy weather.

Discount Tire Direct are all out of snow tires in the size for the G, but Tire Rack still has some quantities left...but not too many Blizzaks. I ended up getting the Pirelli Winter 210s.

Stay safe and warm...until you get your snow tires!!

'03 G35 C Prem Pkg, Navi, Aero, Performance Wheel & Tire Pkg

Old 12-06-2003, 04:32 AM

Yup I live in NYC and today I did fine while going to work is about a 11 mile drive. Nearing my worksite however I started slipping and sliding so I threw on my hazards and kept alternating between reverse and drive till I got it unstuck.

On the way home no problems...lol...until I arrived at my parking lot. I got stuck in the lot 9 feet away from my reserved parking space. It took 2 friends and 20 minutes to sort of get it semi parked in my spot. Kind of took up some of my brothers parking space and some of my uncles parking space since I just left it there at an angle. Wont be driving again untill snow lets up a little and I can save some cash for Blizzaks.

'04 G coupe TB Graph 5A (all options except NAV).
No Mods.....yet

Old 12-06-2003, 07:58 AM

I work in Jersey City, NJ and live in P-burg (64 miles one-way commute), took me over 3 hours to get back home, but it was FUN!
After I got on I78 the traffic was crawling, but after about 10 miles it cleared, eventually for the last 20 miles I had an (almost) empty highway just for myself. I turned the VSC off, and practiced recovery. It's sooo easy to induce spin in this car on snow, just a bit of power and the rear end turns loose. I made it home safely, tired but excited.
I saw only one disabled car on a shoulder (it spun and went off the road), you wouldn't guess, of all the cars, it was a Hummer. I was laughing my a$$ off. People drive those heavy trucks thinking the laws of physics don't apply to them because they have 4WD.

Old 12-06-2003, 09:03 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let me join the "I drive my Pilot sports in the snow" club.
Drove last night from work to home. A 10 minute drive on the 95, took me two hours. It was crazy. The rear was all over the place. As soon as you apply some gas, the rear breaks lose. The slightest incline, and you are in big problem. Got stock in an uphill street. As soon as I hit on the gas, my rear started drifting towards the curb, I though I'm gonna f#$$k up both the rims and the tires. I found the VDC to be annoying as hell, and turning it off didn't help either, it kicked in anyway. (what's the point of having a button to disable the VDC, if you can't really disable it???). I think I burned half of my clutch's life last night. Was riding in a 2mph stop and go on the highway, and so to avoid skidding and sliding, I spent almost 2 hours playing with the clutch and gas.
Oh well, I guess my wife's 92' Saturn will have to take care of us during those bad storms. But I do think that if it snows SLIGHTLY outside as oppose to what we are witnessing now, and you have a mix of snow and water on the road, you can still take the G out (if you are brave enough).
Just wanted to share my experience from last night.

2004 G35C 6MT DG/Gr/Prem/NAV/A.Pedals/C.Corners/C.Bra/PIAA [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-06-2003, 11:24 AM

Anyway i learned my lesson. Im just happy to be alive. Im not even moving my G this whole month. Right now im shopping for cheap SUVs

Old 12-06-2003, 11:58 AM

statikTLR, having a beat up car is what i'm starting to consider after today. while i was driving my '00 accord around, TWO trucks within TWO minutes came by on the opposing traffic lane and sprayed a bunch of salt on ALLL the cars while we were stuck in traffic. If i had my baby G already, i wouldve cried. all you hear is a bunch of rocks hitting the side of your car and the truck driver just stares at everyone as he passes by.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:19 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The blizzaks are great! for $1050 total for this winter setup it was soooo worth it.

<hr></blockquote>

$1050 includes wheels? I think those tires are about $150 each, so that leaves only about $100 apiece for wheels. Sounds like a great deal if that's what you did. Is it?

Old 12-06-2003, 12:22 PM

Yes thats with wheels shipping and mounting, since I got the wheels from discount tire direct and tires from tire rack. You can see the pic of my winter setup in my profile. They aint great looking or anything but do the job very well.

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors
Best 1/4 mile 14.371 @ 100.29, 60ft 2.347

Old 12-07-2003, 04:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just to make this clear, even if you had AWD, the Michelin Pilots would be useless in the snow. It is really, really dumb to take them out in the snow in a RWD car. It would be dumb if the road was plowed. It would be dumb if there was no snow and it was just really cold out (until they warm up). So don't blame the car. I have the stock Eagle RS-As, and the G is okay so long as the road is moderately plowed (which in New England is any time other than mid-storm), but there's no way I'd take it out for a drive right now.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 12-07-2003, 05:45 PM

I was at a car wash today, This guy in a bmw suv come over and ask me how my car handled in the snow. After I told him he was shocked. While driving around through this storm and after I have seen plenty of shocked drivers. They must have been thinking: WTF? how is he ok driving that sport car around in this horrible weather??. Hehe while I was crusing along on my blizzaks. Like the previous guy said dont blame the car for horrible handling in snow. With good winter setup wou will be fine.

Crawford Plenum / Z tube + Stillen Hi-Flow / Borla Dual Exhaust / Stillen Xdrilled+Stotted Rotors
Best 1/4 mile 14.371 @ 100.29, 60ft 2.347

Old 12-07-2003, 06:38 PM

Hi,

How are you guys doing today? Hope all is well.

Anyway, I am a new owner of a 2004 blk/ blk G35 cpe AT. I reside in the NYC area, Queens to be exact; and to be honest I had NO problems driving in the snow. I had my traction control on, and I was cruising between 25 - 30mph.

Now, If I am not mistaken the 2003 models are not equiped with traction control, so I assume that's why you're having that problem @ 2fast; then again, that's if you have a 2003 model and not a 2004.

Anyway, on the brighter side of things, happy to hear that you made to and from home safely.

Happy and safe driving guys...ONE!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: almost died today.. omg