G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Nismo Cold Air Intake Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Nismo Cold Air Intake Questions

That's what the dealership told me. There are S and R rated products for your car. The S-rated are valid to install in your car without hindering your warrenty and the R-rated void the warrenty. The S-rated are supposed to be made for street legal and the R-rated are supposed to be made for racing (or non-street legal - in terms of emmissions and stuff like that).... This is what the guy at the dealership told me.

Therefore, I am supposed to get a list of NISMO products (S-rated and R-rated) for the G35 coupe. I will provide it to the group. I think that the NISMO CAI may be R-rated and may void the warrenty because they worry about water getting into the filter and eventually getting into the MAF (mass air filter) box...

Here is the deal with that. The dealership manager (pretty knowledgable actually) said that AEM has a patent on their cold air intake where there is a sensor on their filter (near the wheel well) such that when it gets water in it, a valve closes off the air flow from the main filter. Therefore, the engine sucks in air from a separate filter up near the MAF. This is the same design as the NISMO CAI, but supposedly the NISMO CAI does not have this shut-off valve to prevent water from getting in the MAF...

So, what sucks is that the better designed AEM CAI is not covered under warrenty if it is installed. That is some bull-crap!

Please respond if you have first hand knowledge that what I stated above is not true... This is coming straight from the mouth of the dealership. Thanks

Jaime

Here's to alcohol : The cause of ... and answer to all of life's problems.

- Homer Simpson

Old 12-07-2003, 04:11 PM

I can try and get the official word from Nismo.

Advanced Engine Management Inc.

Old 12-08-2003, 03:06 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How all of these mods affect warrantys seems to be somewhat of a grey area.
Of course, if the Nismo parts are stated not to void the factory warranty that is a big plus for using Nismo (assuming it applies to Infiniti also!).
There is also the auto warranty law that others have referred to that provides certain protection for consumers (i.e. having to prove a mod caused a certain problem, etc).
One other problem area that can come up is with so- called extended warranties. They are subject to differnet rules. They are actually "insurance policies" and thus not covered by the law that appies to auto warranties. In extended warranties, you are subject to what ever the "policy" states. Some state they will not cover the "car" if it has been modified from stock in any way. I just read on another board that an extended warranty company rejected a claim on the transmission because the suspension on the car had been modified and the policy states no modification allowed.
So.......you are taking certain risks with any mod!!

Old 12-08-2003, 07:53 PM

Thanks gsg,

I am going to do the painful job of actually reading that document which is written specifically in small print to make you go blind. I am worried about the extended warrenty which I paid mad $$$ for.

I talked to the dealership today and there was some bullshit about how NISMO and Infiniti are not on the same page when it comes to aftermarket parts, so they aren't sure about warrenty coverage, blah blah blah... Can't get a straight answer from anyone, which sucks. I will just read my warrenty carefully and see what the real deal is about modifications. Thanks guys. Great post.

Here's to alcohol : The cause of ... and answer to all of life's problems.

- Homer Simpson

Old 12-09-2003, 12:19 PM

The R tune and S tune is very important. As stated before the S tune is covered and the R tune is not. The NISMO intake is an R tune product therefore is not covered.

Part of the reasons for this is the strict standards that NISMO requires.

Advanced Engine Management Inc.