G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

am i driving my 6mt wrong, cant drive quick with vcd on

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 10:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
yeah keep vcd off!!! until first time you lose control of your car and kill the car or yourself and the car or someone else.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, there are some clueless people. VDC is like traction and stability control, it is only good in rain and snow. Any "good" driver would want that off, it's intrusive.

Old 03-04-2007, 03:37 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, there are some stupid people... I don't even want to count how many times i've seen the "oh i wrecked my G" threads, and people ask if VDC was off, it turns out yes, it was off. want to be stupid? - do it on the track.

Old 03-04-2007, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
that happens to me alot too, especially when i whip it around turns. i think ive activated the vcd so much that the light doesnt bother to turn on the dash anymore. lol

Old 03-04-2007, 02:02 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
It really comes down to driver skill. Anyone who has experiance driving a RWD car with no computer help shouldn't need VDC/TCS. In fact, VDC/TCS can lead to accidents.

One day, I was at a stop sign turning left across two lanes of traffic. Its a pretty busy intersection and the cross traffic doesn't stop. There was a small break, I figured I had a 280hp car I can make it. Well, I was a little too aggressive on the take off and VDC kicks in. So, I've entered the intersection, there are two cars coming RIGHT at me, and I have no throttle control. Great times....

Had VDC been off, the tires would have spun a bit, and I would have hooked up and made it no problems.

I still made it without getting hit, but I'm positive both cars had to slow down to avoid hitting me.

So, now, my VDC is automatically shut off each time I start the car. I turn it back on if I drive in the rain, but thats about it. I'll take my chances with it off!

Old 03-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by Alphaking
Wow, there are some clueless people. VDC is like traction and stability control, it is only good in rain and snow. Any "good" driver would want that off, it's intrusive.
wow, what are you talking about? Only in rain and snow...hahaha. For city driving, VDC is good for anything. Are you *really* telling me that in a high traffic area, you really want to take turn and have the rear come swinging? Oh, just because you know how to handle the car it's OK? That's until your rear swings and hits the other car in the other turning lane or something stupid like that.

If you want to have fun with the car, then yes, you should turn VDC off and take the turns however you want, but there's no reason why one should have VCD off in normal driving conditions.

----
(Ha, neat that KPierson is the guy who owns kptechnologies.com. I am thinking of buying the auto door locking thing. :-) )

Anyways but to say VDC can cause accidents? That's a little extreme.

Last edited by icab; 03-04-2007 at 02:33 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:20 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by Alphaking
Talk about clueless... that post is the epitome of it.

The VDC system comes into play any time your wheels begin to lose traction, whether it's from hard acceleration resulting in wheelspin, or hard cornering resulting in the car skidding or getting lose, and even in hard braking where the car might start to spin. You don't need rain or snow on the ground to cause any of these situations... the inclement weather just makes it more likely to happen.

I'm a good driver, and I drive with mine on most of the time. When I know I'm going to be getting on it hard or doing some aggressive manuevers, I turn it off.

Some people make it sound like driving with VDC on or off all the time is a symbol of their manhood or driving skill. It's not.

Last edited by partyman66; 03-04-2007 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 03:39 PM
+1 Partyman.

My VDC turns on all the time- but then I drive like a mad man. I also learned to drive in a '65 Mustang, so this is not my first RWD car with power. I know there are times it has saved me and I know I push it more because it is there. Is it intrusive? Sure it can be. But that is a good thing if it saves you from yourself!

Old 03-04-2007, 03:46 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
How exactly are you driving the car that you have to worry about the rear swinging out under normal, city driving?

I've probably got your whp doubled and my rear end has NEVER swung out unless 1. I wanted it to or 2. I was on wet pavement. VDC has never helped me in any situation, and it almost got me Tboned because it detected wheel spin and took away my throttle control.

Again, if you know how to drive a rwd vehicle you shouldn't ever have to worry about the back end coming around during city driving. If your back end does come out in traffic then, by all means, you should never shut VDC off.

When the back end does start to come out the car is so well balanced that even slightly out of control it is still controllable. You would have to make a huge mistake in this car to lose total control of it under 'normal' driving circumstances.

Originally Posted by icab
wow, what are you talking about? Only in rain and snow...hahaha. For city driving, VDC is good for anything. Are you *really* telling me that in a high traffic area, you really want to take turn and have the rear come swinging? Oh, just because you know how to handle the car it's OK? That's until your rear swings and hits the other car in the other turning lane or something stupid like that.

If you want to have fun with the car, then yes, you should turn VDC off and take the turns however you want, but there's no reason why one should have VCD off in normal driving conditions.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Walking The Fine Line...

Received 128 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by BadBoy06
^^^ you need a nap?
No, but a thread with some intelligence would be nice.

Old 03-04-2007, 08:41 PM
Well said Partyman666.

Originally Posted by KPierson
How exactly are you driving the car that you have to worry about the rear swinging out under normal, city driving?

I've probably got your whp doubled and my rear end has NEVER swung out unless 1. I wanted it to or 2. I was on wet pavement. VDC has never helped me in any situation, and it almost got me Tboned because it detected wheel spin and took away my throttle control.

Again, if you know how to drive a rwd vehicle you shouldn't ever have to worry about the back end coming around during city driving. If your back end does come out in traffic then, by all means, you should never shut VDC off.

When the back end does start to come out the car is so well balanced that even slightly out of control it is still controllable. You would have to make a huge mistake in this car to lose total control of it under 'normal' driving circumstances.
I was replying to the guy who said VDC is only good in certain weather conditions. Yes, I had the rear of my car almost swing around because icy conditions (ice storm earlier). Had I not had VDC on, I am sure that the car would have either under steered and hit the car on the other turning lane or the rear would have swung around (don't remember exactly where I hit the patch of ice).

My reply to you was about VDC causing accidents. Of course I agree with your that driver skills is everything, but for you to say that technology put in the car to prevent loss of control can lead to accident *is* extreme.

Last edited by icab; 03-04-2007 at 08:58 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by GeeWillikers
No, but a thread with some intelligence would be nice.
Then either make an intelligent remark by correcting those who have said wrong things or don't read it. Saying "Yawn" benefit anyone.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:40 PM
I've never driving an RWD car... now I'm scared...

Old 03-04-2007, 10:55 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by in2win
Try rev-matching...
try not talk about something that u have no clue about, rev-matching is used to to downshift.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:56 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by ebuy929
hey guys

ok i noticed that if i want to floor my 06 6mt and drive through gears quick i need to turn off vcd.

if i switch quick above 5000 rpm my traction kicks in and jerks me, so whenver i wanna drive fast i need to turn my traction off.

am i doing something wrong, when im closte to redline in second gear i release the gas floor the clutch... switch to third..fully disengage the clutch and floor the gas. i dont ride the clutch at all when im switching hard but i always feel a jerk and slip.

is it possible to swtich fast at high rpms with traction on?
Time and practice is your friend in this case.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: am i driving my 6mt wrong, cant drive quick with vcd on