G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Wheel-Hop

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 05:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by b00stedjustin
wheel hop shouldn't exist for fr cars. you are mistaken. only ff cars get wheel hop or cars that have completely screwed up suspension. This is why you can't find anything.
Incorrect. I've experienced wheel hop in first and second gears unless you feather the clutch like mentioned above. Look at my sig, decent amount of wheel/tire and suspension investment still doesn't prevent it. Stronger rear link suspension is the only fix. I believe Kinetix sells something to fix the wheel hop issue. b00stedjustin, u don't really have this issue if you are running FI because you are progressing through the rpms so quickly and with so much torque that your tires never get the chance to give in to physics and hop, they're simply spinning faster and sooner than a N/A car's wheels can spin.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by ResIpsa
Are you guys kidding, our cars have pretty severe wheel hop if launched wrong.

The trick is feathering the clutch. If you do a clutch drop it feels as if the suspensions going to blow out of the car.

I suggest 2700 to 3000 RPM and gently feathering the clutch right at the point of hop, then transition to 100% power. It takes practice and tires.
Hmmm...

May be you have the same problem as the OP.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:04 PM
fr = funky ricers?
FF = Front engine with front wheel drive
FR = Front engine with rear wheel drive

Old 03-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fcarpio
FF = Front engine with front wheel drive
FR = Front engine with rear wheel drive
I guess my sarcasm didn’t come out in that post.

Wheel hop definitely occurs in some front engine rear drive vehicles, especially those with independent rear suspensions. The new GTO’s hop, the old IR Cobra’s hop, and I know of at least one other vehicle that hops...can’t remember the name though.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:10 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
i've launched hard around 3k and never had wheel hop, just tire spin and the back end kicking out a little. as far as only front engine/front drive cars only suffering from wheel hop...that is completely incorrect. the first time i experienced wheel hop was in my 91 tt 300zx just broken in at 6k miles.

Last edited by speedracerg35; 03-04-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
The G's don't. You're talking about ****ty american suspension design. No your sarcasm doesn't come out, you just sound like an idiot newb.
Sorry, no disrespect was meant to anyone.

And for the record, my join date is earlier than most in this thread.

Old 03-04-2007, 10:47 PM
Sorry, no disrespect was meant to anyone.

And for the record, my join date is earlier than most in this thread.

this face > is for sarcasm BTW

Old 03-04-2007, 10:53 PM
The G's don't. You're talking about ****ty american suspension design. No your sarcasm doesn't come out, you just sound like an idiot newb.
why was that necessary? a valid question was asked and answered, no need to be an a**

YES there is some wheel hop on the g's, I don't know why it doesn't seem to be a universal issue, could be weather, tires, even different ideas on what wheel hop is. . . I've owned FF cars and the wheel hop you experience in a g is very similar. I have noticed that it only seems to happen on wet pavement for me, when it's dry I either hook up or slide sideways

Old 03-04-2007, 10:54 PM
I've experienced wheel hop with the factory 18's and also with the aftermarket 19's. Feels like the whole car is going to shake apart.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Evil Bastard
for the OP:

the bottomline is, over-revving the launch will cause wheel hop to occur. In any case, ideal launching seems to be at around 2500rpms with some clutch feathering. If you're looking for a more tire burning launch, you're going to have to do some suspension mods.

i used to go off on the mildly retarded who respond to threads... there really isn't a point anymore. it's like yelling at autistic children. pointless, cruel, and only amusing for a few minutes.

Old 03-04-2007, 11:34 PM
What is wheel hop?????

Old 03-04-2007, 11:49 PM
Originally Posted by kraqcommando
What is wheel hop?????
From google . . .

"An undesirable suspension characteristic in which a wheel (or several) moves up and down so violently that it actually leaves the ground. Wheel hop can be caused by many problems, including excessive unsprung weight, insufficient shock damping, or poor torsional axel control."

Needless to say, it's very unpleasant.

Old 03-05-2007, 12:23 AM
no wheel hop here

Old 03-05-2007, 01:23 AM
I'm no car expert, but I really think some people respond to this thread not really knowing what wheel hopping is.

Anyway, I have experienced wheel hops before when I was getting used to launching this car. I let off the throttle immediately. I don't think anyone mentioned this on this thread, but wheel hopping is really hard on your car and can break your differential (search online, you'll find pics). If you experience it, you just let go off the gas right away. Don't keep it going "hoping it will go away and I'll gain full traction." Quite the opposite: the hops will get worse because as you keep trying to accelerate, there will be more and more torque at the wheels in between the hops.

From my experience, wheel hopping occurs more easily easily in wet conditions.

Edit: Yeah, completely not true that FWD cars don't hop. It doesn't happen as easily, but it can. My VW Golf has hopped before.

Last edited by icab; 03-05-2007 at 01:27 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:22 AM
Originally Posted by HotRodW
I've experienced wheel hop with the factory 18's and also with the aftermarket 19's. Feels like the whole car is going to shake apart.
it's happened to me a few times at the track, effin sucks when it does lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Wheel-Hop