G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

tapping Cracking noise update

Old 12-11-2003, 09:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tapping Cracking noise update

Hello all,

I recently took my coupe to the dealer to address a couple of things. First and foremost, I wanted them to fix a rattling or tapping noise that was coming from the right rear of the interior. I was pretty confident that it was not the rear deck rattle, because, I performed the TSB for that after seeing a detailed post here on the board. No, this tapping noise appears to have been coming from a location that I could not pinpoint. However, it was an extraordinarily irritating noise that increased in frequency and severity when traveling over uneven roads. At any rate, the service tech thought it was a loose rear defrost connection. That was secured, but the noise persisted. The tech took a ride with me and confirmed that he still heard the noise. They have been trying to fix the problem for three days now, and I am starting to miss my G! Anyone else have this problem in their coupe?

Old 12-11-2003, 11:05 AM
Re: tapping Cracking noise update

mkmbt,

I have the same problem with my G35 Coupe. Let me know what the dealership says about it. I have taken it to Metro Infinit in Monrovia, CA twice and they have not been able to fix it. Do you have Sat Radio? I am thinking it could be the wires of the Sat Radio tapping against the inner body panels. If anyone could shed some light on this I will greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-11-2003, 12:34 PM

Lurker,

I don't have Sat radio, but they did consider the possibility that some wires were loose and tapping against the body panels. I will let you know if they were able to fix the problem.

MLK

Old 12-12-2003, 01:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude make sure it's not your tranny man. Mine was making a similiar sound but only with the clutch pedal out. Is it coming from inside or outside the car? I also had the rear deck done and my rear view mirror. Try putting your hand on the rear view mirror and see if the sound stops. I also heard another guy say that he had a similiar noise and it was a loose wiring harness for the right side door speaker. Good Luck and make sure it's not your tranny, cuz mine had to be replaced!

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 12-12-2003, 09:18 AM

I spoke to my service advisor yesterday and he advised that they had basically disassembled the entire rear interior as well as some pieces under the car to try to locate the source of the noise. They had not finished the job by yesterday afternoon, so I will follow-up with them today. I hope it isn't the tranny. It only occurs over uneven surfaces, but I have not tried to alter the noise by depressing the clutch. I will suggest that to the service tech. At any rate, thanks for the insight. I will let you know what they discover, hopefully this afternoon.

MLK

Old 12-12-2003, 01:47 PM

mkmbt,

Wow! At least your dealership is not telling you it is your exhaust, because that is what they keep telling me. Are you in So Cal? If you are where is your car getting worked on?

Old 12-12-2003, 02:12 PM

Well, I just spoke to my service advisor and he advised that they sent the car over to their body shop to check on body welds! He is going to call me with an update, but now I am a little concerned. Has anyone else had this problem with body welds?

At any rate, I am in Indianapolis, IN and the dealership where my car is being worked on is Dreyer & Reinbold of Greenwood.

Old 12-12-2003, 02:13 PM

I don't know if this has any thing to do with this but, my dealers is changing my rear wheel bearings ( I have no problem with them) because people are complaining that they start to make a "tapping/ cling noise" , they even told me there might be a recall on this part.... this might be your problem....
Good luck amd let us know how it turns out.

Discreet

2003.5 Ivory Pearl Coupe 5AT

Old 12-13-2003, 01:36 PM

mkmbt,

At least they are taking well care of you in Indy. I don't think that I will be driving over there for service.

I have a friend that works at Lilly Pharm. Co. in Indiana and I don't know how guys handle the weather out there. Thanks for the info and please keep me updated.

Old 12-13-2003, 01:48 PM

discreet_arts,

Not to sound like an expert, but wouldn't the bearings make noise even though we were driving on a smooth road? The noise only happens when I am driving on bumpy roads and concrete paved freeways. How many miles are on your car? I have 6000 miles on my car and it has been making that noise from the beginning. In any case please let me know how it goes with the new bearings. Maybe I do have to have them changed or maybe I have to get my car body panels re-welded. _uck! I just want the noise to go away. Thanks for all the info and insight guys. This forum is definitely handy!

Old 12-15-2003, 01:04 PM

Just heard from my service advisor and he has gotten my car back from the body shop. Apparently, some flanges had come loose and were causing the noise. He is having the tech drive the car again to make sure that the noise is gone, and then hopefully, I will be getting my car back!

Thanks to all who contributed comments/ suggestions. This site is a terrific resource, and I hope that I am able to assist others in the future, as you all have for me!

Old 12-15-2003, 03:26 PM

mkmbt,

Can you ask the body shop where these flanges are located and what they are holding? This will greatly help me to explain to my dealership what other dealerships are doing to eliminate this noise. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-15-2003, 04:19 PM

Just got back from the dealer and the noise is eliminated! Apparently, the flange from the right rear shock tower to the seatback support had come loose. They fixed the problem using silcone sealant. I drove over an extremely rough and uneven service to test the fix, and still no noise

My service advisor at Dreyer & Reinbold Infiniti in Greenwood was terrific to work with. His name is Brandon Faulkner. So for anyone in Indy, if you start to develop a problem with your coupe, try contacting him. He will take your inquiry seriously, and the techs over there will work hard to address your problem. All work was performed under warranty.

One last item, Brandon indicated that more than likely, they would send the car over to the body shop to pinpoint the noise under these circumstances. However, the dealership should be equipped to address the problem in the absence of a bodyshop. It just might take a while longer to locate the noise.

Old 12-16-2003, 05:49 PM

mkmbt,

This is great news! I will inform my dealership ASAP. Thank you again for being so helpful. I hope this informatin will cure mine too.

Old 12-17-2003, 10:46 AM

Hey, I bought my coupe from D&R Greenwood and went to high school with Brandon. Small world. Anyway, I am assuming that everything was covered under warranty and therefor no cost to you. I have a rattle coming from the heating/cooling and stereo control panel that is very annoying and I have been debating on taking it in to have the rattle located and fixed. Have heard stories from several people taking their cars in to have rattles fixed and getting the car back with the rattle and some scratches and other problems. I haven't heard any complaints about D&R, but just the service in general at other dealers. Your story gives me some more confidence in the dealer service departments of Infiniti.

By the way I hvae had great service so far at D&R and would recommend them to anyone looking for an Infiniti, BMW or VW.

Ryan

03.5 Red w/ Willow G35 Coupe, Premium and Nav
Strictly stock for the time being.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by rydw79 on 12/17/03 07:49 AM.</EM></FONT></P>