G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

AEM Cold Air Intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2003, 09:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM Cold Air Intake

Well, I was going to go with a Nismo cold air intake (CAI), but I after discussions with the dealership (they won't even cover NISMO under warrenty), I have decided that I would like to check out the AEM CAI because it is supposedly designed better.... The difference in the design is that the AEM setup supposedly has a patented cut-off valve such that if the main filter (near the wheel well) starts to suck in water, a sensor (wish I knew what kind and how it worked) detects this and closes that air flow and another filter (between the valve and the MAF - Mass Air Flow - box) allows the flow or air from the engine compartment to pass.

Supposedly, no other company (Nismo, Stillen, Injen, etc.) has this sort of a design because it is patented. Does anyone else have any information on this, or where I can go to purchase this intake? I did a search and found one online, but I don't know if it is the right intake, because it was only listed under the 350Z (Infiniti G35 was listed separately).... Thanks

Here's to alcohol : The cause of ... and answer to all of life's problems.

- Homer Simpson

Old 12-11-2003, 10:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: AEM Cold Air Intake

I'm gonna have to call bad on that one. Though I am a big fan of AEM and am looking at their CAI as well I know there are other CAI's with pressure valve systems to prevent water from getting sucked in. I spoke with Rep's from both K & N and Injen and both have told me that they have a similiar emergency valve system (it's a pressure sensitive valve from what I've heard not an electrical sensor), for their perspective CAI's either in the works or already available. As for Nismo I do not know on that one. I would encourage you to do some more research and not to base your decision on that valve system only. So far I'm either going with the K & N or the AEM but as you said I have not found alot of info about any AEM's for the G. Though cars are similiar the mounting brackets are probably a little differant on the 350z setup because of the strut tower brace going accross the engine bay. Check out the Typhoon CAI from K & N and see watcha think or believe it or not I have heard alot of good things about the 350z tube and the Stillen intake combo. Good luck. Peace.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 12-11-2003, 10:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The K&N Typhoon Does not have a bleedoff valve so I ordered the K&N CAI and am retro fitting it with a AeM valve. Best of both worlds with that combination if ya ask me.

2004 Coupe, 5AT, Twilight blue / Willow int. Mtek Xenon Fog/High, Clear corners, Hypers, 18's, Aero, tint, Premium.

Old 12-11-2003, 11:25 PM

Thanks for the input... I am a retard... I was talking to someone at work today and he said that the AEM bypass valve is pressure sensitive (when the filter gets submerged in water, the valve closes into the pipe and air is drawn in by the bypass filter.

I have been with this site for a year now and have also heard great things about the Z tube and Stillen Intake as well. I tried looking into the K&N Typhoon, but did not find one listed for the G35, only the 350Z....

I was hoping to find more online about the AEM CAI for the G35, but the only one that I found was on http://www.350zmotorsports.com/aemcoairin.html

The price here was higher than other sites ($230)... but the design is the same and I am not sure that this one comes with the bypass valve. I really would like the bypass valve, just to help me sleep at night. I know that people have said that it is not a big deal, but all it takes is one time in a large puddle, and you are done for and the damage is not covered under warrenty. Thanks

- Homer Simpson

Old 12-11-2003, 11:35 PM

Actually, I did end up finding the K&N Typhoon CAI online at:

http://www.hopupracing.com/hopup1/kntyinairsyi.html

This filter does not look like it comes with any sort of bypass valve or filter. $209 for the system from this website. Not bad.

- Homer Simpson

Old 12-12-2003, 12:17 AM

Triji, I'm making my statement assuming that the Rep from
K&N knew what he was talking about.The reason I asked him in the first place was because though I found a Typhoon System for the G coupe I couldn't find the cut-off valve that he spoke of. Please post some pix if you get it to work with the AEM valve. 6MT I'm gonna wait till I see some more dynos from these intakes. My whole take on it is if adding an inexpensive item like the Z tube gives almost the same HP to the wheel then I'm going with that. I was just readin some dynos on Freshalloy.com of the Z tube and it's 5-6RWHP so that's very respectable. If you guys dyno your stuff post it and let's check it out. Peace.

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 12-12-2003, 12:53 AM

Hold on a second...I had an AEM CAI on my 02 Altima with the V6 and it had a bypass...but what the bypass is, is just a cutout section of the intake tube protected by foam filter material. If you were to suck water in through the main filter element, it'd get no farther than the cut out section due to the loss of pressure...at least, that's how I understand it.

The NISMO CAI has the same feature.

For what it's worth, if you're driving in water deep enough to suck it in to your CAI (lowered ride or not) you've already seriously f**cked up.

BASIC BLACK

Old 12-12-2003, 12:57 AM

From what I understand these are actual pressure valves that only open when pressure drops alot suddenly. I was told that the advantage of this was that there is no possibility of the second bypass filter cause turbulence in the tube which would slow down air velocity and performance loss. Of course I'm not an intake engineer but the Rep and K & N told me it was like that. Peace

-Jason
Laser Red '03 6MT

Old 12-12-2003, 01:24 AM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I live in Tucson AZ and during monsoon season so we can drive thru some S@#T... That is why I chose to add the AeM bypass valve to the K&N system. I have it on order right now and should be here in a week.

I also got a hyper grounding kit on the way. I am doing my whole engine bay in blue so the K&N and the grounding kit will be blue with some custom engine painting as well. I will be adding pullies later on "when the wife lets me... in blue" I might add red here and there for some contrast.

I am hoping to gain a little HP from these mods but I also want the "wow" factor from the visual sence when you open the hood. I am not a huge road racer at all but I do like to get on it for highway driving. I was up to 150 today on my way back to Tucson from Phoenix a 160 mile trip which took me all of one hour and fifteen or twenty mins. Thank God for radar detectors This car is a dream over 100 mph... it feels like im goin 70-80 if I were driving my 4 Runner or my wifes Lexus GS300 even.

Getting a actual dyno is expensive, Damn about 150.00 for 30 mins here I think it is. I know I will gain some HP the actual amount is not so important to me at this time. When I get serious and start to Auto-X and put either a supercharger or a TT in I will do the Dyno thing. Just starting out on this hobby and I have a LOT TO LEARN yet. Just want a sweet little ride to enjoy and worry about every time I park her.

Peace

2004 Coupe, 5AT, Twilight blue / Willow int. Mtek Xenon Fog/High, Clear corners, Hypers, 18's, Aero, tint, Premium.

Old 12-12-2003, 03:25 AM

but if you have tha bypass valve you lose your gains .. and i believe injen is coming out with that bypass valve you can buy seperatly ... i have a INJEN CAI ... and then funny thing is i was driving around irvine late at night.. and i was raining crazy and i couldnt see anything infront of me and the nest thing u know *baMMM* i ran into a flood i just kept acclerating and nothing happened i am thankful that nothing happened... just telling you my experience and i love the inken cai sounds mean

Old 12-12-2003, 10:09 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Actually, I did end up finding the K&N Typhoon CAI online at:

http://www.hopupracing.com/hopup1/kntyinairsyi.html

This filter does not look like it comes with any sort of bypass valve or filter. $209 for the system from this website. Not bad.

<hr></blockquote>

If the picture is accurate, I believe that is the short ram Typhoon, not the CAI. I'd personally rather buy the short ram than the CAI, but you can get a better price than that (and regular price is certainly not $366, unless that's Canadian dollars).

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe
Titanium '03 MX-5 Shinsen #532

Old 12-12-2003, 11:24 AM

I was reading online last night and I came across another article that described yet another design difference between the Injen and the AEM CAI.... Sorry, I don't have the website right now....

But the article said that the difference is between where the filter actually situates in the front grill area... The Injen is supposedly designed such that it sits right in front of the grill (more exposure to incoming air, rain, etc...) and the AEM filter sits more to the right, so that the it is not as susceptible to rain water or dirt coming in through the grill.

They both have their pluses and minuses....Injen should produce more HP because it has more of a RAM air effect, while being more susceptible to environmental crap (probably should clean more often)... I wonder how this compares to the Nismo setup. Anyone?

- Homer Simpson