G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

What's with the road noise on this car?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 08:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 04 g35 coupe came with the bridgestone potenza and I have to say the car sounded and handled excellent...dont' know why people are saying it is common and just deal with it, but I never had a road noise or rough ride with the bridgestones...I liked them so much, that I bought the potenza pole position tires and I enjoy them very much..with my windows up, I can hear nothing....and ride is smooth...why is everyones car different???

Old 05-21-2007, 10:36 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can't believe that I seem to be the only one who ever posts this:

A good while back another member claimed to have greatly reduced the road noise. It's not a matter of covering the rear in Dynomat, either, as we all know that's not the problem area. The road/tire noise that's so loud in the cabin is from the front tires. The member (so sorry I don't recall his name) pulled the plastic fender liner behind the front wheel and found that entire panel area to be pretty open, and that it acts as a sort of resonance chamber for the front tire noise. His solution was to wrap insultation (I thought he used home insulation) in plastic, to protect it from moisture, and cram it into that cavity. He said it was the single most effective thing, and I seem to recall that he covered most of the interior in Dynomat before taking care of this area!

I've never done this, simply because I put so few miles on my G and I'm off the highway so soon after getting on. If I ever do this, it will be a matter of convenience or because I'm accumulating more highway time. For those that do a lot of highway travel, you should really give it a shot. And if you do, please post back, as it's amazing that only one person seems to have done this.

Old 05-21-2007, 02:27 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes it's true that the majority of road noise is coming from the front. However, it does seem a little extreme for the owners of these cars to have to perform this sound deadening procedure to remedy a front end problem. It's unfortunate, but for those who can't tolerate the road roar, it's worth a try. Can anyone be more specific about the exact procedure and materials involved?

Last edited by bocatrip; 05-21-2007 at 02:29 PM.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:18 PM
One of the solutions is to get a quieter tire. But people are not posting pre and post results and what tires and sizes they've upgraded to. The 19's with sport suspension are the ones that notice the annoying road noise/feel. Yeah, it's part of the ss, but it's a bit too much for this car, especially on the freeway.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:27 PM
Roll down your window and listen to the sweet sounding exhaust note instead

Old 05-30-2007, 01:19 PM
Originally Posted by GT-Ron
Can't believe that I seem to be the only one who ever posts this:

A good while back another member claimed to have greatly reduced the road noise. It's not a matter of covering the rear in Dynomat, either, as we all know that's not the problem area. The road/tire noise that's so loud in the cabin is from the front tires. The member (so sorry I don't recall his name) pulled the plastic fender liner behind the front wheel and found that entire panel area to be pretty open, and that it acts as a sort of resonance chamber for the front tire noise. His solution was to wrap insultation (I thought he used home insulation) in plastic, to protect it from moisture, and cram it into that cavity. He said it was the single most effective thing, and I seem to recall that he covered most of the interior in Dynomat before taking care of this area!

I've never done this, simply because I put so few miles on my G and I'm off the highway so soon after getting on. If I ever do this, it will be a matter of convenience or because I'm accumulating more highway time. For those that do a lot of highway travel, you should really give it a shot. And if you do, please post back, as it's amazing that only one person seems to have done this.
Are you talking about this post: https://g35driver.com/forums/audio-video-electronics/50569-sound-deadening-g.html.

Old 05-30-2007, 04:00 PM
No.^ It makes no mention of the area behind the front wheels. It could have very well been shooter, with as much work as he did. I just can't recall who, for certain.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:28 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
We are talking about a project here.

Old 05-31-2007, 02:15 PM
True^, if you want to address every single area. I think the front wheel-well cavity would probably satisfy a lot of people. I've pretty well decided on trading in for a G37, so I really have no interest in trying this any longer. At just over 6,000 total miles, I'll accumulate relatively few miles more in which I have to put up with it.

As best as I recall:

1. Turn the wheels so you can reach the rear fender liner (closest to cabin) and remove liner. An alternative would be to remove just enough fasteners to bend it back enough to gain access, but this may be too limiting.

2. Choose your noise-barrier. I believe the Originator (as I can't recall the user name) used typical home insulation from a recent home project. You can make your own choice in what material to use. The key is to fill that cavity to eliminate it's ability to resonate sound. You'll also need to consider water/moisture. The Originator, as I recall, wrapped his insulation material with plastic and taped it up to ensure moisture wouldn't make it into the insulation material, where it would be retained and then contribute to rust. I'm not sure how well it would insulate sound, but it would seem that bubble-wrap or something of that nature would be pretty ideal, providing you didn't just wad it up and create a bunch of crevices for water to get trapped. Rolling it and perhaps using tape to seal the ends should be all that's needed.

3. Replace fender liner/fasteners.

While the details of which type of insulation were used (home or some accoustic padding), and the username aren't crystal clear any longer, the process is for no other reason than it's simplicity. There's not much to remember, so there's not much to forget.

Last edited by GT-Ron; 05-31-2007 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-23-2007, 01:19 AM
I second the motion about the noisy bridgestone tires, I thought something was wrong with my brakes or wheel bearings after I drove the car a bit and started to notice it like you did... but if it's just loud tires I really don't care, just so long as nothing's wrong-- I'll wait for them to wear out then get something quieter.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:58 AM
Originally Posted by lancer
I second the motion about the noisy bridgestone tires, I thought something was wrong with my brakes or wheel bearings after I drove the car a bit and started to notice it like you did... but if it's just loud tires I really don't care, just so long as nothing's wrong-- I'll wait for them to wear out then get something quieter.
Agree with this. The 19" Bridgestones are very noisy, and get louder with wear. This is the third car I've had that came with OEM Bridgestones and all have created significant road noise. With the other two, I replaced them with Michelins when due and nearly all of the road noise was gone.

Old 06-23-2007, 12:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jgainnm
Agree with this. The 19" Bridgestones are very noisy, and get louder with wear. This is the third car I've had that came with OEM Bridgestones and all have created significant road noise. With the other two, I replaced them with Michelins when due and nearly all of the road noise was gone.
Which bridgestones did they come with? (Just curious, cause mine came with Pilot Sport). I just installed Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS, and they are actually pretty quiet. Quieter than the Pilot Sport A/S I was running previously, which was about the same as the Pilot Sport that came with the car.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:49 PM
The OEM Bridgestones are Potenza RE050A. Right now, I'm thinking about a replacement with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 in 3-5,000 miles, and will also look at Toyo.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:27 PM
I had the bridgestones replaced with PS2s and it didn't help much.

Old 06-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by coolnesh
But in the process you will also lose out on hearing the sexy exhaust note!
definately not a good thing...that thing sounds so sexy...especially when you gun it through a tunnel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What's with the road noise on this car?