G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Ventilated/cooled seat mod?

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Ventilated/cooled seat mod?

Now sorry if perhaps this one has been beat to death somewhere else, I have searched my heart out and could not find anything on this particular topic.

Living in Nebraska, we have both wonderful extremes where heated seats are great but ventilated seats are just as good half the time. Vehicles like my mom's Lexus ES330 have perforated leather (like the G) and ventilated seats. This is perhaps one of the few nitpicky things I could think of that would make this car better... are there any mods or kits that accomplish such a thing?

I know part of it would have to do with the actual construction of the seat, so I'm not even sure if this would be a possibility without extensive modifiation. Last thing I would want to do is screw up the awesome seats in this 'mobile.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:02 PM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
i never heard of it being done!

anything can be done but all you need is

and i think the M has the cooled seats maybe mod those into the G

Old 05-22-2007, 01:14 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
i really like this idea!!!! my butt just gets so hot

Old 05-22-2007, 04:44 AM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
let me know as well

Old 05-22-2007, 10:31 AM
Well... I'd be willing to try it, but I'd have to see some pics of this M seat...
A straight swap would be easiest but the M seats look like old man recliners... (no offense really) and I LOVE the seats in the G to begin with... so...
Unless any of the M guys buy their vehicles and then immediately post pictures of the underside of the driver's seat out of sheer excitement, someone will probably have to help me out here
My guess is that the switch would be easy to add into the center console, the wiring would be a snap, but the biggest hangup would be moving the air through the seat (specifically the foam) as I'm not sure if the foam itself is perforated or if the G leather is "holy" enough to let sufficient airflow through... I'm also not sure whether it uses the a/c vent to draw air or whether just the fan is necessary...
My guess is that they use a rather large, quiet fan to blow through some ducting (to distribute the air) that travels through holes/perforations in the seat foam, which escapes through the perforations in the leather... really it doesn't have to be a hell of a lot of air, just enough to keep things moving and avoid the dreaded swamp-a$$

I should probably get back to work, but are there any M guys that are willing to take some awkward underside pictures of their ventilated seats?

Old 05-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here's a link to the 2006 M35/M45 FSM. hopefully it'll have the info you need regarding the seat cooling.

http://www.phatg20.net/modules.php?n...ownload&cid=61

Old 05-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Love the idea of this mod...would love to have it in my G

Let us know how things turn out cuz the swamp *** is killin me and living in cali during the summer

Old 05-22-2007, 01:24 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
this is def a cool idea no pun intended but flordia's weather is hot as hell on the black leather so this is a mod right up my alley

Old 05-22-2007, 01:39 PM
Grocery getter

Received 189 Likes on 59 Posts
I have seen a couple places that make a fan kit you can add to the seat. It's not "cool" air from the A/C but still the moving air would help.

Old 05-22-2007, 02:51 PM
finagle: that is a sweet resource, and it had some pretty extensive diagrams on the wiring and components related to "climate controlled" seating. From the looks of it, on the M, the seat heater and blower motor are connected, meaning both warm and cool (i.e. "car temperature") air are routed through the seat in the same way. I need to get me a few of those motors... I bet they're real cheap (right)

That takes care of part of it, at this point I don't know if the makeup of the M seat is different than the G seat in order to allow better airflow or what...

From the sounds of it, there would be a market for an aftermarket product or at least a mod solution for this sort of thing... hell, it could probably use the OEM switch locations and all... ttrank was this fan kit a universal type of thing?... I might be interested in checking it out...

Old 05-22-2007, 02:57 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-B...QQcmdZViewItem

According to this auction, a BMW seat ventilator fan looks really unremarkable... I mean, if I knew the CFM/db rating on this fan (flow/noise) it would be incredibly easy to find a comparable unit and vary the fan speed...

Old 05-22-2007, 03:30 PM
hmmm, interesting thought

Old 05-22-2007, 03:58 PM
There is a universal heating kit. A friend put one in his mustang that looked and worked great! I don't have a link, but it is not a hard mod and the parts are out there.

Old 05-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by CruisnGcoupe
this is def a cool idea no pun intended but flordia's weather is hot as hell on the black leather so this is a mod right up my alley
+1 on the crazy hot weather in Florida during the summer. This sounds like a really cool mod.

Old 05-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Well, that just about does it... I'll be taking out the seats and seeing exactly what's up under there... who knows, maybe a sweet kit will be to follow
At least I can post pics. My hope is that the G coupe seats are based off the same frame as the M seats or some similar vehicle which has the appropriate mounts and accommodations for the blower motor...
I found a cool IC fan controller that's made specifically to control vehicle seat ventilator fans (go fig) that looks like it may do the trick...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Ventilated/cooled seat mod?