G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Questions/Opinions about the Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 04:55 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Questions/Opinions about the Coupe

Hi All, this is my first post here. I'm currently a IS300 owner. I really like the styling of the coupe and the stock power numbers. I was considering boost for my car but at $6000+ that seems like just way too much to sacrafice reliability and driveability for. It should be good for around 325 RWHP, but I would really rather have a stock car that has decent power. Right now I'm considering the Volvo S60-R, Pontiac GTO and the G35C. I was looking at the new Acura TL, it looks nice but I don't really like FWD. So as it stands the G35 is in the front. I have just a few questions if you don't mind.

1. what kind of RWHP does a stock auto coupe put down.
2. any regrets in your purchase?
3. are there any quirks or design flaws that is bothersome to you?
4. any minor or major problems yet?
5. what options are the ones to get and the ones to avoid.
6. how is the build quality and interior materials.
7. if you had to do it all over again would you choose the same car or something else.

Old 01-07-2004, 08:09 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Questions/Opinions about the Coupe

Ok, I'll try to answer some of the questions.
While I'm not a long-time owner, I can only give you my impression based on the 3 months of ownership I have:

1. Couldn't tell you, I have the 6MT.
2. No regrets whatsoever.
3. Some people have been complaining about cheap interior - I personally do not see anything wrong with it.
4. No problem so far. (3 months and 3300 miles on the odo).
5. As far as options go, just go Infiniti's website and build/design one (it's all up to you). I have the premium package and NAV.
6. Again, IMO, the car feels great, the build quality is good, and I don't see anything wrong with the interior.
7. I would buy this car again without giving it a second thought - hands down. As a matter of fact, if I had the money, I would buy myself a second G (AWD) sedan for those winter days.

My answers probably did not help too much, but this is all I can tell you after 3 months.

This is by far the best car I've ever owned.

2004 G35C 6MT DG/Gr/Prem/NAV/A.Pedals/C.Corners/C.Bra/PIAA [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-07-2004, 09:01 AM

1. Est. about 220 rwhp with stock engine on a 6mt

2. NO! and NO! and did I mention NO!!!

3. Yes there are a few but the real one that's still bothering me now is the stupid seat belt. No matter what position I try it still digs into my neck so I'm constantly pulling on the belt to loosen it's death grip on me. And this auto headlight switch which for some reason was designed very poorly. You know what that will mean should you decide to get a G. And there are a few rattles that I can live without. I had my coupe since last Aug there are other minor things that could have been done better. Overall though I love my ride the only other car I would consider changing it too is a Porsche 911.

4. None so far major brake dust issues that Infinity already addressed by way of extended warranty on the brakes. EXCEPT G's that are equiped with Brembos.

5. Options are all up to you depends on your taste or what you can live without. All I have on my car a Premium Package no Nav. What you don't want to do is get the base model with no options on it. It will defeat the purpose of buying a "Luxury Sports Car" (i have to be specific about the "luxury" thing some people on the this forum are sensitive about that, LOL!).

6. Interior is good. Again I can live without some of the rattles that seem to pop up every now and then. If you read some old post from this forum you will see it's a fixable problem. To me the interior is just fine some people think it's cheaply made. The Titanium finish on the car can easily be scratched, but people here found some way to protect it. I think it's called crystal guard I don't have this yet but I'm thinking of getting one.

7. If my car for some reason gets totalled right now yes I would buy it again I won't even think twice about it. But if it's just getting rid of it because my lease it up then I would have to say no. If I had an option to buy a Porsche I would get this car instead. Or maybe a few years down the line if Infinity comes up with an AWD 350+ HP version they yes I would get that G all over again.

<font color=blue>04 CB COUPE / WILLOW / PREM PACK</font color=blue>

Old 01-07-2004, 06:30 PM

thanks for the replys.

As far as cheap interior (been reading other posts) is concerned how does it compare to the IS? The IS is pretty plain comparted to the other Lexus models (entry level model similar to G35 so not expecting too much anyway), but the build quality and fit and finish are very good.

Looking at the website it appears that only packages are available. Is it possible to get one with LSD without the 18" wheels? Also I didn't see any options for the Brembo.

Sorry for the ingnorence, but I'm new to Nissans/Infiniti, always been a Toy guy. Are there rumors of a 350hp version, don't really care about AWD since it doesn't snow here, but if that's just a year out I may wait for it.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're an IS fan.. I heard about an IS430 coming out?

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 01-07-2004, 06:59 PM

nah, that's just rumors, since they did a one off with the LS430 motor installed. Most people out there think they'll never do it or if they did it would be close to 50k. That would be sweet though, that engine is so smooth.

Old 01-08-2004, 02:01 AM

I have no clue about the IS interior, but it looks anything like the LS or GS or SC interiors, then I would say the Gcoupe wouldn't match at all. Besides maybe the 2 front seats, which with the Infiniti emblems, look damn good. If you ask me.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 01-08-2004, 09:20 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Also I didn't see any options for the Brembo"

The only way to get the Brembos is with the 6MT coupe only.

2004 G35C 6MT DG/Gr/Prem/NAV/A.Pedals/C.Corners/C.Bra/PIAA [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-08-2004, 09:21 AM

The G35 interior is fairly plain, much like the IS300. The only way to get Brembos is to buy a G35c 6MT. 5ATs don't get Brembos, and none of the sedans get Brembos.

Old 01-08-2004, 10:10 AM

1. what kind of RWHP does a stock auto coupe put down.

A: Don't know. :P

2. any regrets in your purchase?

A: None whatsoever.

3. are there any quirks or design flaws that is bothersome to you?

A: Really just one. After flipping forward the front seatbacks to let people into the back seats, the seatback doesn't return to its original position. So you have to re-adjust the seatback everytime you flip it forward. Pretty annoying if you need to access the backseat a lot.

4. any minor or major problems yet?

A: Only had mine for 2 1/2 months. No problems.

5. what options are the ones to get and the ones to avoid.

A: I got one with all factory options except for the Satellite radio. I think when you are buying a car at this pricepoint, you gotta make it at least as equipped as say a fully loaded Accord.

6. how is the build quality and interior materials.

A: To me the interior doesn't look cheap. Perhaps it's not as rich looking as Lexus LS/GS but I don't understand why some think of it as cheap. If I remember correctly, it should compare favorably to an IS300. The IS does have that cool looking but confusing Chronograph intrument cluster though.

7. if you had to do it all over again would you choose the same car or something else.

A: Heck yeah! The only other car I would consider would be the future GT-R. And I know I don't have enough money for that.

2004 G35 Coupe Diamond Graphite/Graphite AT
Premium, Nav., 18" Wheels

Old 01-08-2004, 12:25 PM

Being a formal Lexus owner and having driven the IS as a loaner half a dozen times or so, I can say that the interiors are about equal in quality but the power and handling of the G35 coupe is significantly better. The driving experience with the G35C is also significantly better, but that is a subjective opinion. I also think the coupe draws more looks, attention and comments.

The ownership experience from a service and reliability standpoint are very close. Lexus boasts the best customer service in the industry but my experience has been that that depends on the dealership. My Infiniti dealer provides equal service to the Lexus dealer that I went to so I have not seen any difference that way.