G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

painting my brake calipers red...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
painting my brake calipers red...

hey guys i got a g35 coupe 5 A/T and i want to paint the silver calipers red i live in so cal and i wanted to know if any one has a pic of a ivory g35 with red calipers and if any one know's where i can do it at and how much it might cost me ? thx

Old 01-15-2004, 01:22 AM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: painting my brake calipers red...

They actually sell special high-temp brake caliper spray paint in "racey" colors like red, yellow, black and so fourth. All you would need to do is either remove the caliper and spary it, or mask everything up in and around the wheel well and anything you dont want sprayed and shoot the caliper in its place. Of course it would be advised you first remove it, but that you dont have to disconnect it from the brake line.

Another way that I have seen is like an epoxy / enamel based paint system they sell specificaly for brake calipers. This stuff comes with a small can of paint in the color of choice (once again like red, yellow and so on) a tube of harder you'll need to mix into the paint, and a small brush. You apply a coat or two, and when it dries up, it leaves a hard even shell over the caliper.

The epoxy / enamel based stuff looks the best, but its the most time consuming of the two to do.

Price wise, a can of caliper spray paint will run ya like $5 to $8 bucks, and the other stuff is like $25-$30 for the kit, which is usually good for 4 small to medium sized calipers.

If you really want a pro type job, then I suggest you have them powder coated. This obviously will require you to remove them and price wise, depending on the color, should run ya anywhere from $25 to $50 a piece. Powder coating wil also be the strongest in terms of durability. You'll also achieve an even color coat on all 4 calipers, which may not be the case with spray paint...

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 01-15-2004, 01:59 AM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, it's not exactly what you're looking for, but it is an IP coupe with red calipers...I've painted calipers red before, and I find brush on paint better than spray paint for calipers. It's less messy and can come out looking good. Just find good high temp paint.

170980-b6a.jpg

Old 01-15-2004, 07:38 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E_K,

I see you still have that Brembo logo sticker on the caliper, did you remove it and put it back on the new paint, or did you find a new sticker?
Also, what kind rotors are these, and how much did you pay for them?

Looks awesome! [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

2004 G35C 6MT DG/Gr/Prem/NAV/A.Pedals/C.Corners/C.Bra/PIAA/Grnd.Kit [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2004, 08:27 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E_K or anyone else for that matter,
Can you recommend of a good paint and a place to buy it?

2004 G35C 6MT DG/Gr/Prem/NAV/A.Pedals/C.Corners/C.Bra/PIAA/Grnd.Kit [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-15-2004, 11:17 AM

E_Ks calipers look like true aftermarket Brembos with slotted rotors. They probably came red, correct??

'04 G35C / 6MT / DP / Graphite / Prem / Aero

Old 01-15-2004, 11:43 AM

Why did'nt you just get a 6MT? Then you would not have to go to all the trouble to make it look like one.

Old 01-15-2004, 12:17 PM

Probably because he wanted a 5AT but wanted Brembos. Not everyone WANTS a manual transmission.

<font color=blue>04 DG/G Coupe 5AT - St. Louis, MO
Premium, Aero, Performance, Splash Guards
Metallic Tint - 5-Wire Grounding Kit
MB Quart / Eclipse Stereo
PIAA Extreme Whites - K&N Drop-In</font color=blue>

Old 01-15-2004, 12:41 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Check out my post in the brakes section. They're red brembo calipers. Got a pretty good deal for them on ebay. But...I have done the painting calipers route before with good results.

Old 01-15-2004, 01:15 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine's not a coupe, but since the front ends look similar, here's my pic. I did mine on the car with about 6 coats of 'VHT Caliper Paint'. The longest part was masking and dry time between coats. Did all four with one can, and even painted the sides and back of the calipers.

<font color=green>GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=green>

171191-Red Calipers 012.JPG

Old 01-15-2004, 11:36 PM

i suggest not painting it red if theyre not brembos... and if not red then neother color is tacky, so just dont pain it at all... i think its ricing it up if ur trying to sport ur car as something its not but thats just all my opinion

Old 01-16-2004, 05:29 PM

That is soooo true. I saw some dude at the end of my street painting his undercarrage,suspention,and axles red with a paint can.I just laughed. It screams STOCK and doesn't fool anybody. I'll be saving money for a brake upgrade for a while cause they're pretty costly.

Dark Side Of The Moon

Old 01-16-2004, 05:48 PM
Administrator
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, paint all over things that shouldn't have paint just looks tacky, but somethings, when properly done, like engine covers, brakes, etc. can look good. Spray paint all over the hoses, pads, and suspension components when you're doing your calipers looks downright ugly, IMO.

I actually decided to paint my calipers as something of a lark. My buddy that is the Commercial Manager of a local auto parts dealer did such a poor job of his that he challenged me to do better, so I decided to show him how it could be done![img]/w3timages/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

But don't forget, the stock brakes of the G35 are no slouch in the high performance department as they managed to haul the G35 down from 60 mph in 112 feet in some magazine tests! That's a whole lot better than MOST cars, with or without Brembos! So they deserve a bit of colour! Granted, they don't have the actual cachet of one of the name brands that says "I paid good money for these!", but it should just be about that, right?

<font color=green>GroundingGear™ Equipped </font color=green>

Old 01-16-2004, 06:00 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Look for dupli-color paint. High quality stuff. http://www.eastwoodco.com/ for high temp paint. Great customer service.

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net