G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

coin/ashtray is stuck!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 02:28 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
coin/ashtray is stuck!

hey guys my front coin/ashtray thing is stuck, i cant seem to fix it, what should i do, i dont want to use a screw driver beacuse i dont wanna scratch my panel, is there any other methods?

thanks alot

Old 06-30-2007, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is it jammed because there is too many coins?

Old 06-30-2007, 11:37 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Same thing happened to me about a year ago. A quarter fell behind the ashtray or something and got stuck between it and the dashboard and I couldn't open the ashtray. I think I was able to shake/bounce the console around enough by banging on it to move the coin a tad and then force the ashtray open enough so that I could get a pair of tweezers in behind it to grab the coin out. Ever since then, I've stopped putting coins in the ashtray and I keep them in my center console bottom piece now, under that cupholder.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:45 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
same thing happened to me I was so pissed

Old 06-30-2007, 06:27 PM
just take out the bottom console thing with your ashtray, its not hard at all.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:20 PM
same thing happend to me...stealership fixed it when i was getting the oil changed

Old 03-01-2013, 01:10 AM
Finally figured mine out. I could close it all but about 3/4". Pushing on driver vs passenger side it felt a little tighter on the passenger side of the tray when trying to close it. I tried a piece of wire, banging it, rattling it, etc. I used a metal hook shape tool to pull the cigarette lighter insert out. It comes out as a metal can/sleeve with another plastic outer sleeve. The can must come out first then the plastic sleeve second due to a lager plug on the plastic section. they come out together but the plastic section is slid down a bit to allow the larger plug to come out of the hole at an angle. I then fished and fished with my finger an wire but couldn't get it. I about gave up then noticed a metal reflection which was a quarter! There is a small space behind the backside of the pivoting tray. There is a small lip on it going right to left with a bit of foam in there as well. The quarter was standing up on end on the ledge and when the drawer is pushed shut there must be a ledge on the drawer that gets pushed down and it binds the drawer as the coin was wedged between the two ledges. The space is so narrow that the coin doesn't move much and the foam also kept it from moving or making noise. With a longer screwdriver and a pair of forceps I could work it off the ledge and snag the culprit. If it was on the driver side I would not have seen it and doubt I could have gotten it.

Old 03-01-2013, 05:29 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
If it happens again the easy way to get in there is to remove the shifter surround/ashtray panel. Starting at the rounded edge closest to the cup holders/rear of the car, slide something that won't scratch underneath and lift up that edge, continue lifting and pull towards you a bit to release it from the dash. The ashtray is held in with a couple small phillips screws. You can remove the ashtray and clear the track of coins, butts, whatever else might have jammed in there. The outer panel also comes off, it's held with 2 or 3 plastic tabs at it's base to the rest of the mechanism and is easy to remove if you can at it from the back.

The above is the removal procedure for a 05+ coupe, most others should be similar enough to figure it out from there.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Putting coins in the ash tray causes rattles, why would you do such a thing? lmao
Gary

Old 10-14-2015, 06:54 PM
I have a 2007 G35 sedan automatic. This has happened to me several times. Bad habit of putting coins in ash tray. Once a friend of mine used some sort of flat plastic she had in purse and she was able to shift the coin around inside but the ash tray closed tightly without ease. Later another coin go up in there and now it would only close halfway. Well today after searching forums on this subject I decided to tackle the problem since I now decided to keep the car after spending $2K for new catalytic converters.

I started by pulling up on the trim around the shifter, I used a small thin flathead screwdriver to get it started. The trim is held in with snap in device so its OK to pull strait up and out.

Then I needed to put the gear shifter into the DRIVE position to get at the ash tray cig lighter. The ash tray assembly is attached to the trim piece with 4 phillips head screws in the back.

After removing the ash tray assembly attachment screws... there are wires snapped in with connectors, I removed those to free up space and get at the problem. The ash tray hinge that swings in and out are held in place with small roll pins, I was only ably to get the pin on the drivers side out, which was probably a good thing because the side with the lighter has spring to and maybe latch to return the flap and make it smooth. Removing that pin might be a problem getting the spring back into place and working correctly.

With the ash tray assembly in my hands and almost disassembled. I still could not see what was stuck in there. I shook the part several times and one coin fell out, but it would still not close. I then removed the cig lighter by unscrewing the wires and press it out from the back. That didn't help really but in frustration I shook the assembly more violently. and viala another coin came out. Then the ash tray closed and functioned.

I put the hinge pin back in and fastened it all back together then pressed the trim back into place. I am purposely leaving the removable ash tray out and putting it in the console. I will make a label that says "DO NOT PUT COINS HERE"

This has been an annoying irritation that I've been tolerating for about 3 years. I am now a happy G365 driver... now time to repaint my baby.