G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Hello/That's a lot of money

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 09:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello/That's a lot of money

Hello everybody I'm new to this forum. But I know the procedure so lets getting crackin.
Wow, from here to 6mt.net to any G35 forum. I hear or see pics of mods done to coupes and sedans that are hot but costly. I was wondering if any of you guys/girls who've leased the G35 have spent this kind of money on your vehicle. I'm assuming(dont wanna make an *** of myself) that all these people financed their cars who are spending the big bucks on mods. Also some of you guys/girls just purchased your car and are already in the shop/or home garage tearing the car apart putting in like $7000 worth of work, DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNN! Now for the average joe that's not possible, maybe in moderation. Are you guys getting sponsered or you just saved up alot of money ahead of time befor you bought the G?

Old 01-18-2004, 09:51 AM
Re: That's a lot of money

i'm leasing and will not be modding, but chances are i'll also be getting a faster stock car in 3 years.

for those that are financing, chances are they didn't put much down, and it's really dumb to put a lot down anyway. so...i think it's a real simple. they either have jobs, or for some, their parents pay. that's about all i can think of.

Old 01-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Re: That's a lot of money

i can never edit my posts....what's up with that moderators?

look like an idiot when i miss a word in a sentence lol...i just wanted to say that anyone who is leasing better not be modding their cars w/turbos and such unless you can easily remove it when turning it in. any mods you have on the car when returning it could cost you. they have to return it back to factory condition before putting it back on the lot, or so i was told anyway. i guess there are always exceptions.

Old 01-18-2004, 10:36 AM
Banned
Re: Hello/That's a lot of money

Why would you lease a car and mod it? Everything you put into it must be removed with the car or returned with it. Mine is leased - only "mods" will be removable ones. I did spend $1400 on snow tires/rims - I am in NY and the Michelin Pilots that come with the car are useless and dangerous in the snow.

04 G35C DG
Prem Aero Perf
V1
Blizzaks
R splash Guards

Long Island, New York, USA

Old 01-18-2004, 05:52 PM
G SQUAD

Mine is leased and I added a sub w/amp which is easily reversable when its time to return the car. Also maybe sometime along the line I will add 20's and a stillen lip..I think thats reasonable for a leased car because all are easily reversable. Anybody disagree????

2003.5 Blk/Blk w/all dem options

Old 01-18-2004, 07:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HipHop:
I wish it was only $7k.

IF you are leasing the car, it would really only make sense to do modest changes that are easily and inexpensively reversed, and which you will get your investment return upon reasonably fairly within the lease term.

This pretty much eliminates things like flywheels and limited slip differentials, forced induction and exhaust mods.

A z tube/popcharger is probably worthwhile, maybe a underdrive crank pulley. Expensive wheels would not be real sensible to me, but some might feel it is worthwhile. Basically the mods once you pull them off the car only have salvage value, almost nothing.

IF you know you will buy the car at the end of the lease term, that is different. You might make a few more aggressive mods in that situation.

And you don't finance mods. You pay cash or don't do it. More importantly, if you do heavy duty mods like FI, you don't do it unless you can afford to blow up the motor. Seriously. If you cannot afford that, do not go FI. It should not happen if you do it right, but if it does....then what? So if the ante into the game is too steep...that is fine. No problem. You should never compromise yourself or your family financially over something as stupid as a car. Especially this car, when it comes with awesome capability and power.

Make the best investment in the car the one that you take with you to every car and throughout your life. Seriously, now. Invest in yourself as a driver. Take that grand or whatever, and get the best driver course you can find. IT will do more for you and your driving enjoyment for the years to come than anything else you could possibly do for your car and yourself, by allowing you to unlock and unleash...responsibly....the potential of the platform you drive. Whatever it is and in whatever modified form.

Having a leased car, and a young age, is not a disadvantage in this situation at all. It limits your options, and that lets you get back to clearly seeing that the best one....investing in yourself and your skill as a driver, is what you ought to do first anyway. Later, when you are an old fart like me, you can buy whatever you want and let the young ones whine about what a waste of fine machinery it is to haul the old fogie around! (A very mean and fast old fogie, but a fogie nonetheless!).

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 01-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Premier Member

Here's my 2 cents worth.

I leased my 2004 G35 (mainly a work, everyday car) and a very nice one too boot. I got the car loaded (everything except navi) and plan too enjoy it as stock for the next 36 months. I have been leasing cars for the plast 12 years (this is my fourth leased vehicle) and the only things I change are the stock tires, ALWAYS.
For my personal fun I have a 2004 Honda S2000, that's the car I bought and can tinker with if I feel the need. Leasing a car does limit the kind of thing you can do to it, but consider this...you have in your posession a beautiful piece of machinery, that really outperforms almost every other car in this category....don't mod, enjoy and at the end of the lease do it all over again.

Cheers.

Old 01-18-2004, 09:15 PM

amen. i've only really began to make the money to constantly lease, so i totally agree. buying a car is a terrible investment, unless you're a die hard fan of a specific vehicle.

Old 01-18-2004, 09:43 PM

i'm leasing a 2k4 G, and it's bugging me that our side markers do not blink when putting our signals on. the only mod i'd like to make is to make those blink, and to have the signals on the driver side and passenger mirrors.

Old 01-18-2004, 09:54 PM

Wow does like everybody lease their car?

Old 01-18-2004, 09:56 PM

thats kinda funny cuz alot of people with bimmers mod their leased cars' engines alot even though its leased. They basically kill the life of the engine while they have the car and then they give it back after the lease, which is why i would never get a used bimmer. My friends also say that they know alot of people who mod the hell out of a leased car just to play with it. It sucks for the people who buy it used and will never know it was pushed to its limits until it actually breaks down.

2004 G35c Twilight Blue/black 6MT
Aero Package -- Splash Guards -- Premium -- Trunk Mat

Old 01-18-2004, 10:43 PM

I did not lease my car, rather I financed it with the minimum down that I could. I am also modding my car, but it just depends on how crazy you want to go and how much "extra" cash you have every month. In November, I got aluminum pedals from my fiance for my birthday... Cool mod that makes the car look nicer (from the inside of course)..

This month I will be buying the JWT pop charger (actually ordering tomorrow) and Z-tube setup (less than $200)...

Then next month I will do grounding wires... less than $100..

See, things like this are just things that make your car different than most, and they won't add significant performance and stuff, but they are cool and in moderation it always seems like you are doing something to your car.

Things like coilovers, rims, body kits, superchargers, etc... just get really expensive and if you have the extra money to do it, then by all means.... I bought this car near the limit of my price range so I cannot yet afford to do those type of mods (especially when trying to save for a house). Good luck.

Here's to alcohol : The cause of ... and solution to all of life's problems.

- Homer Simpson

Old 01-18-2004, 10:56 PM

Where's Gurgen when we need him? Someone sacrifice a chicken and summon him over here from the sedan forum. He's gotta have the most modded sedan here, and after his Twin Fans are a blowin' there will surely be no doubt.

Black/Willow 03.5 6MT, Premium, Navi, Aero, SAT
350Z Nismo CAI

Old 01-19-2004, 12:00 AM

The thing is, it's not financially a very good idea to mod your car no matter whether it's a lease or a buy. I can say that because I've spent [ahem, a lot] on mods and, frankly, the best thing I could do for the resale of my car would be to remove them all prior to selling it.

So, I guess my point is that if it is better to remove mods prior to selling the car, why does it matter whether or not it's leased? You'll lose your investment on the mods regardless. The only way to recoupe anything close to a fraction of the mod cost is to part them out and return the car to stock. You can do that with a leased car or an owned car equally well.

--Steve

Old 01-19-2004, 12:16 AM

i agree. my parents r gonna lease their g35 when they get it real soon, and we're only puttin exhaust on it, which only costs approx. $500 to $1000 depending on wut we decide to get. makes the car so much more enjoyable for the next 3 yrs, then when its time to take it back, we'll take the exhaust off and do whatever. a simple mod like that, IMO, is worth the money.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Hello/That's a lot of money