G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

So here's the question.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2004, 10:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So here's the question.....

For you gentlemen with the nissan and skyline badges on your car..this one's for you.....

This JDM badging has always baffled my mind....

When you guys meet a girl...and the topic comes up of cars..do you tell her that you drive a nissan..or an infiniti....????

2004 G35C AT
Black/Black Premium, Aero, Performance, Nav, Nav/TV Tuner, 2-10" Pioneer Premiers w/ Rockford 801s amp in custom fiberglass box

Old 01-31-2004, 12:19 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: So here's the question.....

You're waiting for all of us to say, we tell them we drive an Infiniti - right? Who would mention Nissan - correct?

But the Infiniti G35 Coupe and Nissan Skyline 350 GT are essentially the SAME car. I hate to burst everones bubble and high on Infiniti (as its considered to be a higher-end import here in the US) but bottom line, its still built by Nissan, funded by Nissan, and designed by Nissan. It's a Nissan all the way, which the exception of a North American marketing group division of Nissan (named Infiniti). When you mention you drive an Infiniti, the name Infiniti is nothing more than marketing ploy (kicked off in competition to Toyota's introduction of Lexus). You're in fact driving a Nissan with a diferent name, so you wanna talk about rebadging a car - you should consider that the Infiniti you're driving is nothing more than a Nissan Skyline 350 GT rebadged to the T.

So for anyone who opts for JDM badges is doing it more for the asthetic apeal. I mean to date people still look at my coupe and say what is that, and who makes it. By throwing on a 350 GT badge, it only throws people off even more, causing even more interest.

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 01-31-2004, 12:26 PM

Exactly, which is why I did it. I have an Infiniti 350GT. 350GT sort of fits the car better, don't you think?

Lou

Old 01-31-2004, 12:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd probably still say its an infiniti just so she knows what im talking about but when she sees my skyline badging, i get to enlighten her on why its called that.

2004 G35c Twilight Blue/black 6MT
Aero Package -- Splash Guards -- Premium -- Trunk Mat

Old 01-31-2004, 02:36 PM

ducat, just playing devils advocate here, but if you owned a cadillac, whether the sports car or fancy suv, would you just say... it's just a gm car?
yes it's a nissan, but just as buick and caddilac get much higher ratings from jd edwards, so do lexus than toyota, and infiniti than nissan.

same parent car.. but

oh, do volvo owners say they are ford.

04 6mtC, DG - possibly most babied G on the board.

Old 01-31-2004, 02:41 PM

The thing about caddy...Most people know its a GM, and I don't know anyone that would rebadge a cadillac? So there would be no questions really to what it is...

and...who cares about ford

Old 01-31-2004, 03:44 PM
i.love.gold
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

GM is same parent company...but there is no "GM Escalade" or "Ford C70"

Ivory Pearl coupe

Old 01-31-2004, 05:18 PM

I like the idea of putting the 350GT instead. The word "G35" has become too popular, and is associated now with the non-enthusiast crowd. If you tell someone who knows their sh*t, that you have a 350GT, they know you're driving a G35coupe.

To the question of the girl asking. Tell her it's an Infiniti. You're lucky if she ask you what kind of Infiniti. =P Most of the girls you meet won't know a thing about cars. Say you had an M3... You wouldn't tell the girl you had an M3, it would mean nothing to her. You tell her you have a Bimmer. =)

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 01-31-2004, 05:32 PM

You can call it a marketing ploy all you want, but the fact of the matter is that Nissan Corporation chose to call the car an Infiniti G35 in North America.

So in reality, the car is an Infiniti, not a Nissan.

If some guy put Infiniti badges on his 350Z, he'd be just as wrong as someone putting Nissan badges on a G35. And yes, I realize there is no Infiniti in Japan, but the point remains the same- Nissan makes the cars and decides how to badge them in various markets.

Old 01-31-2004, 05:39 PM

Even though Nissan owns Infiniti, there is a definate difference between the two. If you look at the reliability and quality ratings, Infiniti is much higher up than Nissan. This would not be true if Infiniti == Nissan.

Old 01-31-2004, 05:45 PM

Sure, but remember that not ALL Infiniti vehicles have identicle Nissan versions.

Plus, the dealer network for Infiniti is MUCH more highly regarded than Nissan dealers.

Old 01-31-2004, 05:48 PM

My point is this:

The company that created your car elected to call it an "Infiniti G35" in the country that you live.

If you want to call it a Nissan ( or a Kia or Hyundai for that matter), then that's your prerogitive.

But it's still an Infiniti G35.

Old 01-31-2004, 06:19 PM

DragonGcoupe - your so right..most girls ask what car you have but only have enough time to hear the car company name. Sometimes when i say g35, they are like.."whats that" Then i say infiniti and they are like "oh wow". Or i say infiniti and they have a look on their face like (just nod your head and he'll think you know what he's talking about)

2004 G35c Twilight Blue/black 6MT
Aero Package -- Splash Guards -- Premium -- Trunk Mat

Old 01-31-2004, 06:22 PM

Actually, I call mine a Datsun 350.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So here's the question.....