G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

120MPH in a 65MPH Zone

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
120MPH in a 65MPH Zone

I was driving south on the garden state parkway in my coupe. Having a radar detector, I, for some reason had a crazy feeling that I was invincible to the police. Meanwhile, i punched all the way to 6th gear when I was up to about 120mph or so, and a cop pulled me over. The reason my radar didnt pick him up is because he paced me. I was in New Jersey with a New York license. I got 5 tickets. 1)Passing on the right 2) Speed in zone 120 in 65 3) Reckless Driving 4) Failure to use directionals 5) Improper lane change.. I have a mandatory court appearance. Anyone know what will happen to me when I go to court? Anyone have any suggestions? Will the points transfer from NJ to NY? Did anyone ever encounter this stupidity? Thanks guys...

Just driving the G...

Old 02-01-2004, 12:17 PM
Re: 120MPH in a 65MPH Zone

welcome to the 5 ticket club.

cb/graphite g35c - fully loaded
jwt pop charger - 350z tube

Old 02-01-2004, 12:20 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ouch!!! I feel for you man that is one expensive drive that you just took. No suggestions here but if you were here in Cali you would loose your license and get you a$$ thrown in jail.

<font color=blue>04 CB COUPE / WILLOW / PREM PACK</font color=blue>

Old 02-01-2004, 12:46 PM
FGC President
Received 15 Likes on 2 Posts

anything over a 100 is involutary manslaughter and you get to go to jail here in florida

Daniel

5AT Coupe / DP / Willow / Aero / Premium / 3M Clear Bra / 5% Tint All Round / Ground Kit / Clear Corners / Piaas Everywhere / Shock Sensor / L.E.D. Hood Lights

Old 02-01-2004, 12:53 PM

He "paced" you? Are they allowed to do that? You can always say he's lying. He has no proof. You can say he made racial slurs. They actually do put officers under the microscope for any kind of accusations against them. If he gets fired, then he'll lose his house and car if he's still making payments on them. His wife may leave him and take the kids with her.

I just ordered a passport 8500 last night from crutchfield for 299. Now you got me thinking its a waste of hard-earned ***-bustin on a hourly wage cash.

Honestly, I dunno what you could do, but I mean I think speed limits are stupid. Drunk driving is stupid. Drunk drivers should have their autos confiscated. Speed limit penalties are outrageous and then the insurance companies take advantage of all this BS and jack up ya rates cause you were speeding. Damn big brother got the oil and prices for fuel continue to escalate..go figure.. I wish I lived in Europe. I think Im gonna move to Germany(cool cars) or Japan(cool everything else) with my girl.

Anyways I am done venting. Dont say the cop made racial slurs if he didnt. I was just kidding.

O yea and to those of you "patriotic" folk.. dont take my big brother comment to heart. I aint starting no flame war. Dick'n'Bush did.

'04 G coupe TB Graph 5A (all options except NAV).
No Mods.....yet

"Hello Everybody...My name is Black and I am a G-oholic."

Old 02-01-2004, 12:57 PM

That was pretty dumb...but, we've all done it :-)

Search on some of my previous posts...I've detailed certain actions (based on my knowledge as a former cop) about how to beat things like this. Being "paced out" is incredibly unreliable and there are some ways you can rattle their cage...maybe even get a few items tossed out.

BASIC BLACK

Old 02-01-2004, 01:03 PM

I live in NY currently and grew up in NJ so I am very familiar with the local authorities Unless the law has changed within the past year the points DO NOT carry over. I received a ticket in NJ for speeding and remained clean in NYC. You will get nailed to the wall as far as fines... prolly max for all. As long as you don't hit anyone or wreck that should be all they can do to you.

Oh yeah, pacing is a method of speed detection. The only thing you can do in court would be to challenge him on the accuracy of his speedometer. They normally have them calibrated (like their radar guns) on a regular basis. You could question whether it had ever been tested as high as 120. But remember any admission of speeding makes you guilty. Speed just regulates the amount of the fine.

Unless you have a great traffic lawyer in the family... it doesn't look good for ya. Sorry

(dam, that was a long winded response. sorry)

&lt;NYCXLR8&gt; 04 G35coupe 5AT/Prem Pkg/Perf Tire Opt/Aero Kit/Clear Sides/Pedal Kit

Old 02-01-2004, 01:11 PM

Hope you didn't get pulled over between exits 125 and 100 something... the judge in that township claims he will take your license if your guilty of 90 and over.. he probably can't take away a NY license though.

BTW, as far as parkway, be careful, radar detectors are not very reliable there. I have a V1 but half the time they either are pacing or using laser or instant on. Always watch your rear

Old 02-01-2004, 01:14 PM

If you guys are familiar with the garden state, there is an Express and a Local lane, they are like two seperate highways that go next to each other. I was on the right side (The Local) and he was on the Express (left). He actually had to cross over the grass to pull me over. The two highways have different curves. I dont see how he could have paced me that accurately. I am very curious to know if NJ can take away my NY license. The $ is not my main concern right now.

Old 02-01-2004, 01:16 PM

noqlew: Yes i was between those exits.. Exit 114 to be exact. F**K ME!!!

Old 02-01-2004, 01:17 PM

It is the HOLMDEL court.

Old 02-01-2004, 01:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should seriously consider retaining an attorney. You don't want to mess around with something like this. Let a pro who has experience with traffic cases handle it for you.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, 15% tint

Old 02-01-2004, 01:29 PM

Both states belong to the National Driver License Compact, which means that they share information on citations issued to the other's residents. See http://www.traffic-ticket.com/vcompacts.htm. The effectiveness of this system remains in doubt as some have had the out-of-state ticket appear on their license, and others have not. As you've found out, radar is not the only tool that cops use. I once got nailed from the sky (I can't imagine what the cost was to taxpayers to keep a Cessna flying on a daily basis).

RainMeister
'04 G35C 6MT, diamond graphite, premium, nav, aero

Old 02-01-2004, 02:42 PM

Hey Murray-

I've had experience with two things...getting a large ticket out of state, and a reckless driving charge.

The first: I was doin 85 in a 65 in upstate NY with a rental. As it turns out, knowing I would NEVER drive back up there to dispute the fine, I paid it. It never showed up on my record. That may be a NY to CT thing, but hopefully for you, the same applies.

As for the reckless driving, I got caught in CT doin 90 in a 65. I talked to my lawyer who told me to go to court without retaining him. If the proceedings seem to be going badly (i.e., you aren't just assigned a fee and sent away), ask for a continuance which they have to grant. Retain a lawyer at that point. In my case, the judge reduced the fine to just "speeding" which was just a fine. If you are actually charged with reckless driving, I would definitely get a lawyer and fight it because that's a nasty one to have on your record.

'04 6MT, Laser Red/Graphite, Prem, Navi, 4-Piece Aero, BSM

Old 02-01-2004, 03:00 PM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I live in the area and I drive the Parkway all the time....The police here are very proficient at there jobs...I usually drive between 75-80 mph...I kind of know where they hide...but I have seen them "pace" cars from both sides of the road...usually they hang back and pace you from the rear...anyway LOL by the way I think you only receive 2 pts since you hold an out of state license but don't take that as fact.....next time speed where you know the area!!!!! 2old4this

04 cpe ivory pearl/willow/5at/prem/sport wheel pkg/clear corners and Piaa's waiting to be installed

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 120MPH in a 65MPH Zone