G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 Coupe during winter time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 11:23 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't even feel like this convo is about driving experience man, none of us are pros so what difference does it make. We are talking about the cars ability in the winter, not how good a driver is in the summer

The following users liked this post:
Wannabe6MT (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 02:00 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Gman56
And nothing about driving! Spend what you want on snow and dedicated summer tires. There is no perfect tire! Those summer tires last how long? They tend to be noisy too. Im not racing on public roads I drive on them.How many years have you been driving 4? Equipment does not replace experience!
Actually, equipment can very well replace experience in many cases. If you drive out on 4 bald summer tires, chances are you aren't going to move, no matter how many years of driving experience you have. And if you are driving down a highway and are coming up on stopped traffic and your vehicle cannot correctly avoid the situation due to limited traction, then that is the vehicles fault. Reactions can only do so much in a situation that happens quickly. It is situations like this where proper equipment can very well change the outcome of an impending accident. Again, it is something you don't understand until you drive a G with say DWS, and then take it out in the same snow storm with a winter tire.

I don't get into driving experience battles with people. I could care less how long you have been driving and how long i'v been driving is really of no concern. I just follow proper safety etiquette's with myself and my family out on the roads with many people running around on their phones, generally driving vehicles that aren't properly equipped for the roads they are traveling on. I recently got into Motorcycle track schools and track days and one of my instructors told me that he has seen countless guys who have been 'riding for years and have a million miles under their belt.' But completely flummox when put into a situation where they need to use their bike in a performance situation or while making smooth quick maneuvers. It is the same thing with cars. Just because you have driven for 40 years doesn't make you a good driver. It just means you have had 40 years of poor driving. Not saying this is your case, I am mearly stating that it is a moot point and invalid in this argument which is arguably about proper safety equipment on the vehicle.

And the Nokian Z-Line is actually a very quiet tire. Similar to Michelin Super Sports. If you did your research you would realize how plush and luxurious these tires are given their high performance abilities. Ask many G drivers who have tried them out. And no, they don't wear out quickly. The Michelins have the ability to run 30-40k miles and the Z-Lines will do about 30k. It is when you buy a tire like a Hankook V12 or a Pirelli that they wear out within 15k... I tried a Michelin AS+ back when I thought it would be a fine tire for summer. The tire was garbage. Noisy, rode and handled like **** and were expensive. I returned them, saved $100 and got Super Sports. It was like transforming the car and gave it a much more premium feel as well as the added performance.

Again, do your research before throwing out goofy statements like that. BMW wouldn't put a Michelin Super Sport on their 100grand super sedan the M5 if it was a noisy, unrefined tire that wears out.. Tire technology is a fascinating subject and one that contains much more depth than most people give credit for. Contrary to popular belief, there is more to a tire other than it is black and round and contains air.

The following users liked this post:
willmkent (02-15-2014)
Old 02-15-2014, 10:40 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
^ really well spoken