G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

1st Speeding Ticket in California (Need Advice)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 12:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 1st Speeding Ticket in California (Need Advice

We need a speeding ticket forum...don't y'all think? With a post, at least once a week, of someone getting hammered...if we tucked everything in to one corner, it'd be a lot neater and more user friendly...

I know I've posted umpteen times, with basically the same thing, on defeating a speeding ticket from a cop's point of view and I know we have several attorneys on the board who probably [grin] have experience, of one form or another, with the speeding issue...Moderators, moderators...anyone?

BASIC BLACK

Old 02-05-2004, 12:53 PM

Now why would a G35 driver's website need a speeding ticket forum? [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Old 02-05-2004, 01:29 PM

It will definately be hard to fight this one. Given the fact that it was 33 over the speed limit. It is correct that if you go over 20 miles over the speed limit, you are not entitled to traffic school. I suggest you be as honest as you can to the judge, he/she will have the power to give you traffic school or not. And or lower your fine. You can try to ask for 16 hour traffic school if you want and see what they say, my friend had done that before so that he got away with the point. But as far as insurance going up if your insurance is in NY, that shouldn't matter. DMV is all linked and your insurance will find out the point. My brother got a ticket in Texas and it still counts in California where we reside. I have gotten several tickets and for a couple of them I received nothing in the mail, remember those are courtesy mailings, they don't have to remind you. Your best bet is to call the court and see how much the fine is....as much as you don't want to hear it, it will be very expensive, my ticket going 15 miles above the speed limit was 130. I believe from 1-15 miles over the limit is a certain $ per mile, and 15 miles above is another $$ amount per mile. Your best bet is just to be polite to the judge and admit fault, don't try to contest it cause if you lose, the judge may not have remorse for you. Good luck!!!

Old 02-05-2004, 04:26 PM

Thank you everyone for this advice. This is exactly what I need.... One more question, when I go in for the first time, if I plead guilty and no contest, do I at least get to explain my story to the judge as to why I was speeding? or will he just sentence me without listening to my story?

The reason I am asking is because if I plead "not guilty" I don't have a story to defend myself in court. The cop had me on radar, showed me the radar gun, and there is nothing I can do about that.... Please advise for those that have experience.

Mods:
Aluminum racing pedals
JWT Pop Charger / Z-tube Combo

Old 02-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't plead "guilty" and "no contest." It's one or the other. Typically for moving violations, you plead "no contest" -- that is, not truly accepting guilt, but paying the fine and moving on (with or without traffic school).

To fight a ticket, you'd plead "not guilty." If that's the case, find one of the other ticket fighting threads here... someone had suggestions about continuously rescheduling the court date until they won't let you anymore, which reduces the likelyhood of the cop showing up to trial, which gives you a greater chance of getting off.

I know, first ticket.. kinda scary dealing with the courts. It's not that bad, though. Call up the court and you can talk to a clerk and get a bunch of questions answered without having to admit anything. They're usually really helpful. I've waited to the last minute to turn in my traffic school certificate before, and on the day it was due called up the courthouse and asked what to do about it, suggesting I could overnight the certificate but it would still be a day late.. the response I got was to just mail it normal, and they'd extend my deadline another 30 days. You can call them up, give them your case number, and ask them how you'd go about requesting traffic school, even though it's not automatic for your ticket.

Old 02-05-2004, 11:35 PM

Your record will follow you anywhere in the United States and maybe outside of the US. The insurance companies always find out from their huge computer data base.

2003 Blk/Blk Premium w/navigation
Tinted Windows
Chrome Wheels
BRM Catback Exhaust
Injen CAI
Grounding Wires