G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Ok Guys, Im Stumbled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:21 PM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveB
My guess is the hum is caused by the tire/wheel you put on. The tire might have ply seperation or it might be feathered or scalloped (feel the inside tread block for this, if it's not smooth and flat, then that's your problem), or it might be worn. Worn tires get really loud and roar. So do feathered tires. What about your other rear tire/wheel? You sure it wasn't damaged when it hopped the curb? If is quite possible that the rim is slightly bent or the tire damaged a ply.

As for the power problem, I don't think it have anything to do with either the differential or tranny. I can't see how either would get damaged from an inbalanced driveshaft. It doesn't make much sense at all. My guess is the MAF sensor and the culprit was probably that CAI. Historically, Nissan VQ MAFs don't like aftermarket intake, especially CAIs. I don't know if it has something to do with the oil-coated filters or the enlongated intake piping. Regardless, VQ MAFs don't like the things. My friend has a 01 Maxima 5MT with a JWT intake. Recently his car developed a problem much like you're describing. The car has absolutely no *****, especially above 4000rpms. You mash the gas and the rpms slowly climb where as they should fly once the intake secondaries kick open (~4500rpms). I hooked up the car to my laptop and everything looks fine and I cleaned the MAF, but the issue still persists. It turns out that this a common problem with 00+ VQ Maximas that have intakes and the problem is in the MAF (which is the same exact design as the G's MAF and only one part number off). The fix is replace the MAF. I would recommend finding a friend with a RevUp, swapping the MAFs, reseting the ECU, and see if the problem goes away.

If that doesn't work, you might want to test the coil packs (ohm meter). Those could also cause problems and wouldn't necessarily throw a code.
Jesus....I can have my buddy at his shop order a MAF and "borrow" it....he can send parts back and say "customer no show". I simply hate dealing with the dealership, thats why Ive been reluctant to take it in to them.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:38 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
You could always take an oil sample from the tranny and diff to see if it's wearing excessively. Send each to Blackstone Labs. $20 for each test.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff92se
You could always take an oil sample from the tranny and diff to see if it's wearing excessively. Send each to Blackstone Labs. $20 for each test.
Hey Jeff.. nice seeing another member from teh ORG (maxima.org) since its been down for a while now )

Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry for your accident the humming is probably caused by the tires. If your used rims came with factory tires they start to humm at about 18k miles. As for the loss of power i have no clue. hope you can find the problem