G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

quick shifting a 6 MT

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 03:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick shifting a 6 MT

i just got my g35 about a week ago and ive noticed that i cant shift as fast as i did in my 01 prelude....o and i should add, i havent actually ripped it yet, im just tryin to shift fast revving to about 3-4 rpm...i dunt know if its just me or is there a special way to clutch the g35s...can anyone help me wit this??/

Old 02-10-2004, 06:11 AM
Re: quick shifting a 6 MT

if you want to shift it FAST, shifting at 3-4krpms will be difficult to make it smooth. Unless you're going WOT(which will still be a rough shift if you do it fast), shifting fast is just not a good option. Once you start pushing it to redline and make that fast shift,(similar to those japanese drivers you see in best motoring...probably not AS quick but similar) you'll be grinning from ear to ear. That's just me though.

'03 G35c DG/G 6mt, full options

Old 02-10-2004, 09:27 AM

just for my own knowledge, is that because the rpm's drop faster at the higher RPM's when the clutch is depressed?

I seem to have the same problems as g_thirtyfive. And considering I still haven't gone above 4K rpm and rarely above 3500, my shifts are slow as nuts.

Twlight blue/Willow 6mt.
It's here

Old 02-10-2004, 10:06 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try double clutching it will take practice, but once you get it down it's actually fun to do.

<font color=blue>04 CB COUPE / WILLOW / PREM PACK</font color=blue>

Old 02-10-2004, 10:10 AM

should you really have to double clutch on a car like this?
I thought double clutching was for mac truck drivers....

i find it easier to shift at higher RPMs (4-5k) and also a lot more comfortable with the Rouge shifter installed...(doesnt' make it shorter but makes it more quicker)

ace

Old 02-10-2004, 10:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a couple of things.
First, adjust the clutch pedal to take up about one third of the way off the floor. The typical factory setting is about two thirds off the floor, and that is so far back that you have to float your entire left leg at the engage point. That is too clumsy and sloppy to control, and it promotes grabby shifts and slows you down.
Second, think about a short shifter. It takes about 20% of the throw off the process, without speeding up your hand motion. It also makes it less shoulder and more wrist and forearm, which is more precise and naturally quick.
Third, think smooooooooooooth more than fast. Work at making the transitions almost imperceptible to feel (though obviously not to sound). Then slowly work up the coordinated moves to be just a tad quicker than before, maintaining the feel. It takes a little while to break in the clutch and tranny, and to get used to it, and to break yourself in.

I had some fits with the set up from the factory and could not believe after all my years of driving stick, including triumph, MG, alpha and porsche cars, that I could be having problems with this one. But with the above adjustments it works real well. It just took a little bit of time, some concentration and focus, and practice.
To go fast, you have to take it slow. Ok, Grasshopper?

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 02-10-2004, 10:29 AM

I have found that the shifter has loosened up as I the car has gotten older. When I first got the coupe the shifts were a bit rough, but have since smoothed out allowing for quicker shifts. I also agree with previous posts that it is harder to quick shift at lower rpms. The shifts also seem to get smoother and quicker as the car warms up. Just give it some time and practice and they will get quicker.

Old 02-10-2004, 10:39 AM

I think they're just talking about upshifting, in which case, double clutching is not going to help much. but a lighter fly wheel would

Old 02-10-2004, 10:47 AM

I haven't looked down there or anything...but how do you adjust the height of the clutch...? Is there just a bolt you need to change...?

"Operator, give me the number for 911!"
- Homer Simpson

Old 02-10-2004, 05:52 PM

well, mine is broken in, but after i adjust the clutch to engage about ... it feels like an inch ... off the ground, i just step on my gas a tiny tiny bit before i engage my clutch and it is perfect. feels like the car is slingshotting you forward. nothing but a pure surge of power from gear to gear. oh yea, turning off the VDC helps incase you accidentally step a bit too much gas and get some wheelspin from 1st to 2nd. that damn jerky VDC really sucks ***. and its hella scary too.

G35S 6MT
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts
6-wire ground kit

Old 02-10-2004, 08:41 PM

so how would i adjust my clutch so itll be 1/3 of the way instead of 2/3??

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by g_thirtyfive on 02/10/04 05:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 02-10-2004, 11:30 PM

mr elusive, when in that situation, how would you counter that once you feel wheelspin? i plan on taking a racing class someday, but its too expensive as of right now, so im just tyring to pick up tips here and there. would taking my foot off the accelerator prevent my car from further skidding? is there a racing technique forum?

G35S 6MT
Technosquare ECU
350Z Springs & Struts
6-wire ground kit

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: quick shifting a 6 MT