G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2003 coupe 5AT major problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 03:15 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
2003 coupe 5AT major problem

I own a 2003 5AT coupe purchased 12 Dec 2002. I'm going to keep this as short as possible...so I won't go into all the gory details. The early part of July, I pulled my car into the garage and noticed liquid leaking from the radiator overflow. I siphoned the fluid out of the overflow bottle and after allowing it to settled out it was bright red at the top, milky in the middle and bright green at the bottom. I immediately called my local dealer and had the car towed in. The dealer said the AT cooler had ruptured (there was no noticeable damage to the radiator) and that transmission fluid was being circulated through the engine (the engine never overheated) and that there was coolant in the transmission. The car had 15,905 miles on it. According to the dealer, this couldn't be covered under warranty because the warranty expired in Dec. and that AT fluid ages, so 52 month old fluid caused the problem. The dealer performed 2 BG coolent flushes and 2 BG transmission flushes (filling the trans with BG 3123 not the nissan matic fluid J recommended) and replaced all the hoses because the trans fluid was seeping through the cooling hoses. Also replaced the radiator which cost me 1,800.02.

Now to the real problem...the transmission is slipping when you pull out and when your just driving along all of the sudden it will start to shudder, shifts are slow, downshifts are hard. To me it appears that this transmission is damaged. Is there any hope for this transmission or is it damaged? I have no confidence or hope that Infiniti will cover this under their 7 year drivetrain warranty. It appears my only option is to replace the transmission at my own expence which would be about $6,000

Old 09-30-2007, 03:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Wow, I had full boltons and I romped on my car for 3 years... and they replaced mine... give it a try man.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
I own a 2003 5AT coupe purchased 12 Dec 2002. I'm going to keep this as short as possible...so I won't go into all the gory details. The early part of July, I pulled my car into the garage and noticed liquid leaking from the radiator overflow. I siphoned the fluid out of the overflow bottle and after allowing it to settled out it was bright red at the top, milky in the middle and bright green at the bottom. I immediately called my local dealer and had the car towed in. The dealer said the AT cooler had ruptured (there was no noticeable damage to the radiator) and that transmission fluid was being circulated through the engine (the engine never overheated) and that there was coolant in the transmission. The car had 15,905 miles on it. According to the dealer, this couldn't be covered under warranty because the warranty expired in Dec. and that AT fluid ages, so 52 month old fluid caused the problem. The dealer performed 2 BG coolent flushes and 2 BG transmission flushes (filling the trans with BG 3123 not the nissan matic fluid J recommended) and replaced all the hoses because the trans fluid was seeping through the cooling hoses. Also replaced the radiator which cost me 1,800.02.

Now to the real problem...the transmission is slipping when you pull out and when your just driving along all of the sudden it will start to shudder, shifts are slow, downshifts are hard. To me it appears that this transmission is damaged. Is there any hope for this transmission or is it damaged? I have no confidence or hope that Infiniti will cover this under their 7 year drivetrain warranty. It appears my only option is to replace the transmission at my own expence which would be about $6,000
The powertrain warranty is a 6/70 warranty, not a 7 year warranty. Still, you should have some PT warranty left. I doubt your car was bought more than 6 years ago. The only stipulation would be mileage. Are you over the 70k mile limit?

Old 09-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
You do not need to replace the transmission completely. A good transmission shop can rebuild your current transmission for $2,500. This would replace pretty well everything that moves inside the transmission. Been there... I know the drill. All of this is only necessary if they refuse to honor the PT warranty that is obviously still in effect.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen people nearly giving away AT's here and My350z. Like $600
for instance
http://www.my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=277364

Honestly, if you can get the tranny and a independant shop to do the work for a grand, not sure I'd mess with the dealer. I would try it, but I'd have the car towed elsewhere the minute they told me it was gonna be a couple thousand and no coverage.

Any nissan shop can do this for you.

Rebuild? Not when I can find good ones for 1/2 that. Or 1/4 of that

Old 10-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the dealer serviced your trans & did not use Matic-J they are responsible for any damage that was caused from use of the wrong fluid.