G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Front bumper stoned

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front bumper stoned

Hey guys

My front bumper has like 50 stoned chips from driving in winter. I was wondering if anyone know roughly how much it costs to repaint the bumper and whether its worth repainting or just get an aftermarket bumper. Does anyone have any pics of aftermarket bumper???

Old 02-15-2004, 10:39 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Front bumper stoned

Join the club!

A friend of mine with a Porsche C4S, whom drives the car daily, has added what he calls "front facia reconditioning" to his list of annual maintenance tasks. For the past two springs that he has had his car, he gets his front bumper repainted to clean up all the little stone chips and blems he gets from all season use. NY winters are harsh and the use of road salt and sand, really doesn't help the situation either. It's almost become a common practice with people whom own sports cars and use them daily and or through all four seasons to re spray their front ends for reason such. I plan on having my front bumper resprayed later this spring as well.

Now one would say, you should never repaint anything on your car if you don't have too, as it wont properly match up to the factory, and for the most part I will agree with that, but if it comes down to driving around with a front end that looks like its been sand blasted, vs a slight color variation (usually only evident on darker cars in the dark, believe it or not), I'm gonna go with the paint job!

Pricing will vary greatly depending on the shop and whether or not you take the bumper to them or the whole car, as with the whole car, it takes more labor and time in masking the rest of it off and whatnot, which translates into more $$$. To give a rough estimate, I would say to prep and respray the front bumper for the G will run anywhere from $125 to $200+.

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 02-15-2004, 10:43 PM

thanks alot ducatiguy for the quick reply, do you know any online shops that sell aftermarket bumpers?? I was thinking about buying one.

Old 02-15-2004, 10:46 PM
G SQUAD

Yea I think Ducati is close with his estimate. Anywhere from
$150-$300 depending upon where u take the car. It makes no sense at all to get an aftermarket bumper, just have a good shop re-do the bumper. Good luck

Old 02-15-2004, 10:54 PM
Premier Dough Slapper
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You really don't have wide selection in terms of complete front bumpers. I know Nismo, Impul, and Greddy all have enique looking complete front bumpers that you can get, but these things are pricey! If I remember correctly, they'll set ya back between $800 to well over $1000 plus paint and install. There's also some people selling replica front end of for example the Nismo bumper for roughly $400-$500. That's another alternative, but do your homework before you buy such an item. See what they're made out of (material plays a HUGE role on its everyday durability and its ability to "take" minor impacts), and question the fit and finish of the piece.

Your other option would be to add a lip to your bumper to give your front end a more sportier / racey look. This will be a lot cheaper, as such lips start at roughly $250 to upwards and over $500 plus paint and install.

As for online shops, there's many out there! You may want to start by checking in with the sponsors of this forum. If they don't have it up on their website, drop them an e-mail. Most if not all of them can get you pretty much anything you want. You'll have to do some shopping, but it'll be worth it when it comes down to making your purchase.

"See, the problem is that God gives men a brain and a *****, but only enough blood to run one at a time."

Old 02-15-2004, 11:04 PM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah My Front bumper is a complete loss. I wanted to do an IMPUL kit anyway so hopefully in the spring that will be done. As for the winter comming agin as it often does maybe Ill just throw the old bumper on when I take the rims off for the season. Just put the car into winter mode. Hey how is your Hood cause mine is pretty bad and I was considering A Carbon Fiber hood instead.

Old 02-15-2004, 11:08 PM

its funny cause my hood is in awesome shape. Thats really surprising.

Old 02-15-2004, 11:11 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got quoted $450 for my rear bumper. Most of it was labor to remove the bumper and re-install to prevent overspray.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 11:14 PM

was that a quote from a dealership??

Old 02-15-2004, 11:28 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

It came from a highly recommended body shop.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL

Old 02-15-2004, 11:49 PM

$450 is about the right price for front or rear. They will need to remove the bumper, sand out the chips, prime probably almost the complete bumper, paint the entire bumper, and then reinstall it. If you can get it done for $150 then they are skipping at least one of these steps. The cheapest you might find it for would be around $400. I wouldn't do this job for less than $500. Also ask for flex additive to be added to the primer and the clear for chip resistance. Now would be a cheaper time to install an aftermarket bumper since yours already needs repainting.

Old 02-16-2004, 09:35 AM
WRAH

How about a scuff? Local area painting?

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murry

Old 02-16-2004, 12:07 PM
Deep Sea Moderator

When I went to the body shop it was for just a small scratch/scuff and they said it wasn't a good idea to do any local paint repair. Especially on a large area like the bumper you can't smooth it in and match the paint. He also pointed out how the bumpers don't match the body because of the different paints used for metal and plastic.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL

Old 02-16-2004, 11:49 PM

A scuff would be a cheaper job due to the less amount of hours to repair it. Probably $350-$400.

Old 02-17-2004, 01:39 AM

My bumper isn't too bad.. It's the chips on the hood. =(

I have 1 bumper chip, but like 3 hood chips. Gah.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Front bumper stoned