G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Temporary Insanity?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2004, 10:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Temporary Insanity?

I love my G coupe. That has to be said. It is a 6MT DG/G with NAV. The car rocks. The best exhaust note I have heard on a car . . .but this winter has made me re-think whether its worth it having a car like this . . .

Yeah, Yeah, I know, I know . . .get snow tires next year, etc. But that's not the point. Even with snows, this car is not a good all weather car . . .the cold, snow and ice kills it. I have heart palpatations driving it b/c of all of the pot holes.

I just took the G on a road trip, and although pretty comfortable for a sports car, its not the ideal road trippin' car. Too much road noise and hard suspension.

So in a moment of plausible temporary insanity, I was thinking about selling it to get a Touareg V8 loaded. Yeah, its an SUV, but it is an amazing truck that gives you incredible luxury and comfort, is fast (for an SUV) and can be driven year round without caring about pot holes, snow, ice, salt etc.

Am I nuts?

Old 02-16-2004, 10:27 AM
Re: Temporary Insanity?

"Am I nuts?"

yes.

See if you feel the same way in a month from now, when you'll have the sunroof open, and you'll be hearing the growl of that engine when you're accelerating from 40-80 mph.

Twlight blue/Willow 6mt.
It's here

Old 02-16-2004, 10:32 AM

also might i add that I got this car on december 20th 2003... perhaps two or three weeks of good weather before all the snow and salt (damn people and their salt) came.

And those two or three weeks was enough to let me realize that this car was well worth it, even if I have to "put up with it" for a couple of crap months every year.

Twlight blue/Willow 6mt.
It's here

Old 02-16-2004, 10:36 AM

Me thinks Patience works for VW.

Nice try!

=)

Old 02-16-2004, 11:52 AM

Can you swing both somehow? (Or maybe just add a pre-owned SUV for wintertime?)

I keep an SUV in the garage next to my G. Being a Northeast resident, I need a 4WD winter vehicle in the stable. I absolutely love my G though, and now that I have it, I wouldn't trade it for anything. But if it'd had to be my sole vehicle, I probably wouldn't have gone for it in the first place, living where I live.

By the way, I'm planning to replace my SUV, a '96 4Runner, next year with a Touareg ... nice choice.

<font color=blue>2003 G35 Coupe 6MT - diamond graphite / graphite leather - premium - nav</font color=blue>

Old 02-16-2004, 12:00 PM

aside from having to be very alert and dodging road debris (that many other cars would easily clear), the coupe is *THE* road trip car. Monster highway torque, comfy heated seats... mmmm, roadtrip...

if you're longing for an SUV, you're needs have greatly changed it. Will you love it like the coupe? no way... but you may love the room you'll have. Its a different kind of love.

The Touareg looks pretty sweet. Kind of Cheyenne-ish/X5 like. Which is a good thing. However, I wouldnt give up the Nissan reliability. I'd go FX before VW. Even if VW has the style points.

Old 02-16-2004, 12:03 PM
Cactus Hugging Admin
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

We drove the Touareg and got an FX... love that car; MUCH sportier.

G

2003.5 Black w/ Willow G35
Premium / Sport / Aero / Winter / Navi / Tint

Old 02-16-2004, 12:36 PM

Yeah, I love that FX too. But I bought the G for "sporty."

If it was me, I'd personally need more room, more ground clearance, better "Utility" out of my SUV, not so much "Sport." But Patience4g35 might find it quite the ticket, especially being the only car.

I've also owned 2 VWs in the past, and reliability was always more of an issue than it's been with my Nissans. So I'd bet on less trouble with an FX.

But it all depends on your priorities. They're both really nice, though.

<font color=blue>2003 G35 Coupe 6MT - diamond graphite / graphite leather - premium - nav</font color=blue>

Old 02-16-2004, 12:40 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

....and can be driven year round without caring about pot holes, snow, ice, salt etc.

Am I nuts?

<hr></blockquote>

Yup, you're nuts if you really believe that..... Hate to break it to ya, but salty winter roads will have the same effect on any car. Do you really think you'll not be bothered by a salt-caked SUV? Especially one that costs as much as a Touareg? And do you dream of driving down the pothole covered roads without trying to avoid them? Sure, you might not bend a rim as easily as you would in your G, but believe me, you'll be avoiding those potholes in the Touareg too......

Old 02-16-2004, 06:08 PM

i live in boston... but i got parents with AWD cars, so i can always borrow theirs. Well just think about it though... you're not the only one out there with rear wheel drive car. Just cope with it =) i'm going to grab snow tires for next winter though. There's many bmw's(rwd) is300's and many other cars i see in the snow. You can always buy a cheap beater. Like a honda civic for $2000 just for winter.

Why don't you get the FX45?

Old 02-16-2004, 10:42 PM

when I got the G . . .I had an Isuzu Trooper Limited . . .but a guy who ran a stop sign took care of that . . .so now I've been using the G exclusively . . .

I think all of your comments are valid . . . especially the one that says that I'll be loving the G once it gets warm . . . .

G forever.