Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Thinking of getting new car - need G35 advice *DELETED*

Post deleted by merlin

Old 02-19-2003, 10:18 AM
Re: Thinking of getting new car - need G35 advice

I'd have to disagree since the car in that picture isn't a Porsche. It is a Porsche replica, but not a true Porsche. It's like those guys who turn a Fiero into a replica Ferrari F-40 with a body kit. Sure it might look the same or similar, but it isn't the real thing. Some of those guys even go to great lengths to try and make their car look real. They'll buy replica sheet metal stamping emblems, actual Porsche accessory parts and even replica owners manuals copied from the originals. There are a couple of different companies that make these replicas, and seem to be doing OK business wise with the venture, but in the end its still a replica and not the real thing. The funny thing is that you see these replicas advertised all the time and guys state that they have $35K in the car but they routinely sell for $18-$22K on Ebay and elsewhere. A real 550 Spyder will set you back a few hundred K at least and over a half-mill for a decent one. If you'd like to see a real one, here's me with mine...

Old 02-19-2003, 01:00 PM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

1) the dashboard design is plain and looks cheap, 2) I don't care for the front-end styling (the headlamps mostly), 3) rear seat headroom is limited, and 4) the fold-down rear seat isn't a 60/40 split design.

<hr></blockquote>
That's so funny coming from a guy that owns a Corvette and Contour.

Sal

Old 02-19-2003, 01:38 PM

"That's so funny coming from a guy that owns a Corvette and Contour."

Amen to that! Here's my drawbacks: (very minor)

#1: It's wintertime and the 18" Mich Pilot Sports are scary in the slippery stuff. I drive my SHO as a daily commuter so no big deal.
#2 is: yes I think the dash could be better (it's no German dash) but it beats a Vette dash hands down.
#3 is: having to answer every question about the car everytime I get gas, at the mall, etc (actually it's okay...people love the looks)
And finally...don't gripe about the back seat if you buy any coupe, get the G35 sedan if you need a back seat. My $.02.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's so funny? And what does my Corvette and Contour have to do with the G35? I didn't ask for your opinion on my current rides, and I don't care what your opinion is.

I don't know why you have a bug up your a$$ about the Contour and Corvette? Then again, you seem to hate anything that you haven't bought yourself.

Try to be a little more open-minded. A bit of politeness wouldn't kill ya either.

2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black
1996 Contour SE, Black/Opal Grey, V-6 5spd, 125k miles

Old 02-20-2003, 06:10 AM

get the g35 you will love it it has everything you need and you cant beat it for the money . it is so comfortableas well you have to take one for a test drive mine is fully loaded navi as well i picked it up for 37 600 i tried to get the price down but he wouldnt do it so i traded the closer one of my paintings and he threw in allot of stuff and droped my intrest rate allot for me witch i thought was cool of him .out the door it was 41k and change . by the way it was at miller infiniti van nuys CA good luck

Old 02-20-2003, 12:20 PM

Easy Z06ified.. I think you missed the point... He was noticing you complaining about the dash board design being too plain.

You must admit of all the cars in all the world the corvette dash design is pretty horendous - Almost as bad as my Cobra's. And I can't say I know exactly what a 125K mile contour dash looks like, but I am guessing the G35 is a step up...

So don't jump all over everyone here, your new & your getting some great advice.

This isnt fresh alloy ya know...

G35 Coupe / Premium / Nav
Ivory Pearl / Willow Leather
SSR GT3 19"s w/ Bridgestone SO-3

Old 02-20-2003, 12:51 PM

you got a pic of your car ? just wanna see it with your rims.

Obsidian Black/Graphite 6MT Premium Package (On Order)

Old 02-20-2003, 01:15 PM

Torque steer, torque steer, torque steer. That's the number one reason not to get the volvo. I would choose any number of cars other than the S60 due just to this one fact. Drill the gas and expect the wheel to jump, my wifes car always goes right. It's more than annoying.

S60R vs M3.....please.

Old 02-20-2003, 01:50 PM

As an owner of a C5, RT/10, and a G35c I must give you my input on the G35c.

The car has great feel. The ride is comfortable and quiet. The power is decent and the car is fast; not quick but fast. The steering is very direct and has great "feeling". The brakes are good with quite a bit of initial grab and progression, but a pad switch is in my future to improve the feel. The looks of the car are great in my opinion. You don't see nearly as many of them as the BMW's (and other German brands) and I doubt you ever will, so they are more exclusive to own. I agree with your accessment of the dash and also agree that the Vette dash is by far inferior (though I do like the color of the guages better on the Vette).

I plan to use the G35 as my daily driver, so engress and degress were important and the G is fine, the door has a nice 1/2 open detent in the hing. The mpg the G35 are a little disappointing, the Vette gets as good or better milage.

As many of the other post point out, you just can't do better than the G35, for the money. I wanted a car that was fun to drive, comfortable, practical and not something everyone else had, the G35 delivers on all points.

I will be selling the Vette this summer, it's been a great car to own and drive, but dealing with Chevrolet service has been the worst part of ownership. I won't miss it for long though, I have a 360 Spider coming soon (as long as the stock market doesn't get much worse), otherwise I will be joining you as a Z06 owner.

Hope my opinion helped...happy motoring :-)

Old 02-20-2003, 08:34 PM

Get the car man. That's all have to say. You won't get more bang for your dollar than this vehicle. I was considering many of the same cars as you as well. Just don't get the fit, finish and performance of this vehicle for the price anywhere. Hence the reason they can be difficult to locate. I lucked out and after shopping at Three differant dealerships in So Cal I found the model I wanted with the color and options as well. I left that night with the car and after 2 hours of haggling with the Sales Manager got them to take about $600 off MSRP. Wasn't much but it was better than nothing. I would suggest giving them call since they seem to have a unusually large amount of Coupes in stock most of the time (Around 8-10).
The Dealership is Cerritos Infiniti in So Cal. The back seats are fine unless your 6' in my opinion. Most of the stuff I could complain about are little stupid things that only an **** person could care about. Over it's a fabulous vehicle. Good Luck!

Jason
Laser Red 03' Prem/Aero/6MT/SnRf

Old 02-22-2003, 04:20 PM

Thanks for all the input. Very informative and helpful. I will be moving to CA in 6 weeks, and will be shopping for a new G35 Coupe once I arrive there. Hopefully I can find one in stock that has the colors and options I want so I can take it home right away. Sounds like the order process is a bit long (2-3 months). Fortunately, I'm not too picky on the colors. My favorites on the Coupe are: Silverstone, that desert color (forgot the name of it), black, and silver. Interior I think I like the Willow better, but if the car I wanted came in graphite I wouldn't complain. Must have the Premium package and Aero package. I'm usually not a big fan of spoilers, but I think it looks hot on this car.

2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black
1996 Contour SE, Black/Opal Grey, V-6 5spd, 125k miles

Old 02-23-2003, 02:55 AM

This months R&T reports that while the S60R is AWD, it's a passive system, meaning that power is applied to the rear wheels only when slippage is indicated. So, torque steer is still just as bad as it's always been in the volvo 5 cyl turbos. It's a shame they continue to emasculate that car, it's such a nice engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting new car - need G35 advice