Take Action: Rear Defroster Ineffective

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2007, 04:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Take Action: Rear Defroster Ineffective

Hi everyone,

BACKGROUND:
I'm a new owner of an awesome G35 coupe and other than the rotten gas mileage (which looks like there is nothing that can be done about), the only complaint I have is with the "rear defogger/defroster". I have had no luck in having it clear my back window in less than 15-20 minutes and even then it doesn't always finish the job before the button automatically shuts off.

I have had several other cars (including Hondas) that have always cleared the window in 5-10 minutes tops.

I have gone back and forth with the dealer and with Infiniti Consumer Affairs and have been told by all of them that the system is working "as designed" and that they can't do anything about it even though they have had many other people complain about the same thing.

So I'm taking a different route and would love to get all of your help as well (if you feel the same way I do about this SAFETY HAZARD of a problem not being able to see out the back window). I have logged a complaint with the NHTSA in hopes that if they get enough complaints they will go after Nissan to get them to issue a bulletin to have this problem fixed!

HELP REQUEST:
If you can also voice your opinion with the NHTSA it will help expedite the process. You can call them at 1-888-327-4236 or email them at https://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/email.cfm.

I would appreciate your help with this as even the guy at the dealer said he'd love to see this problem fixed.

Thanks in advance!

Old 11-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll first say that I don't live in a very cold climate (it did get down into the 30s last night, but that is rare). However, my rear defroster seems effective at clearing the glass in 10 minutes or less. I've never noticed a problem, especially since I come from a car (VW Corrado) where if you use the rear defroster for more than two minutes, the wires will melt.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:51 PM
I should clarify that this is in reference to having the car outside overnight and having dew on the rear window in the morning (which will eventually be frost in another month or so when it gets even colder). It takes a good 15-20 minutes to clear it if it even does clear the whole window by then.

I'd be interested in hearing other people who have had dew or frost on their rear window and how long it takes to clear it.

Old 11-21-2007, 04:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
mine seems to work fine, but then again it doesn't snow here. But it clears the dew/fogging just fine.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same problem, although I am too lazy to wipe it off in the morning myself. The dew always seems to hit my car, parked on the sidewalk, and not any of our other cars, parked in the driveway [our driveway is too steep and my G scrapes ] My dad was the first to actually complain about it and hopefully he told the dealership when he took my car in because of a bad airbag sensor.

Old 11-21-2007, 06:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
mine works too but i live in houston and it gets rid of the fog/dew GREAT. It might not have been created for snow, idk...

Old 11-21-2007, 09:26 PM
Mine never shuts off like you say unless I press the button or restart the vehicle. Other than that, mine is pretty effective.

Trending Topics

Old 11-22-2007, 03:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You can complain to whomever you want but I really don't think you'll get anywhere. Believe it or not there are a lot of vehicles out there that don't even have a back window, it's perfectly legal and it's not a 'safety hazard'.

Good luck though.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:38 PM
From day 1 I realized the rear defroster as being worthless, in the morning I just hit it with a rag because it takes way to long compared to my other cars. As for filing a complaint i think the window motor issues, oil consumption issues and horrible bose issues are much more important then this issue. Other then that I love my coupe

Good luck though.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
I don't know.... I wouldn't call the defroster great, but I definitely don't consider it to be something to raise a huge stink about.

I use my rear window defroster all the time between September and usually some point in late November or early December before I put the car away for winter, and don't have any significant issues with it.

Just to ask a stupid question... Are you sure that you're using the rear window defroster and not the front window defogger? The 2 buttons are side by side and look similar.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:01 PM
Yes, I'm defniitely using the right button since it shows signs of starting to clear after about 15 minutes but never seems to really finish the job before the button times out. I guess I'm just frustrated that it is so WEAK and can't clear a window in less than 20 minutes. I may have a faulty one since I've heard some people saying theirs works in 5 minutes or so.

Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
yeah, the rear defroster is quite lame.. it take a while for it to clear, but even then, it doesn't, and i live in mass, and i am dreading snow and see how it will perform with snow rather than fog and dew..

Old 02-13-2009, 09:37 AM
FWIW, mine worked well when I bought it then quit. My mechanic told me that if the light on the button comes on it is not a fuse (I checked all [I]three[I] of them anyway. After searching in the trunk for the power connection to the grid I gave it up and took it to the dealer. They fixed the faulty connection that is buried somewhere under the rear seat on the right side. Works just fine now - less than 5 min to melt ice on the window.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:10 AM
mine works good too. damn cold weather go away

Old 02-13-2009, 01:52 PM
mine clears it fine. yah like 5 mins.

just have them replace your rear window it costs like $200. i just did one for this chicks avalon at toyota. just get the glass from a aftermarket glass company.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Take Action: Rear Defroster Ineffective