G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 Coupe in Snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 04:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 Coupe in Snow

Looking into purchasing a car (perhaps G35C) soon, however have concerns after the recent snowfall in the Midatlantic/Northeast. So, for those of you who own the coupe and were hit by the blizzard (or any previous bad weather), how did it drive?
Important, as the car I purchase would be my only vehicle.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:07 PM
Re: G35 Coupe in Snow

Snow tires will save you.

2003.5 G35 Sedan
2002 Accord V6
2001 MiataSE

Old 02-18-2003, 07:08 PM

I would HIGHLY suggest buying a set of "snow" tires for the coupe, (preferrably Blizzaks). I work at the Infiniti Of Syracuse dealership and the coupe will move around with the all-season tires that come on them without the performance and wheel package. But for CNY and Northeastern driving definately get the snows and the car will ride fine through the stormy weather (wont drive like a 4 X 4 of course

Old 02-18-2003, 07:41 PM

Aren't the tires included with performance and wheel summer tires?
If so, I don't think that would be of much help either.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:54 PM

I've got the same concern being in Maine. I've done some research and have come across 17" Michelin Alpines & Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires, which run each about $170/180. Does anyone have any comments about either tire? With wheels, I'm guessing about $1,200USD will get me a set.

Old 02-18-2003, 07:54 PM
G35driver.com Moderator

yes, the michelons are summer tires and are not recommended for snow. Regularly though, the car comes with all-seasons. So either dont get the performance package, or get it but you'd have to spend another $1200 on snow tires separately (its worth it!)
Keep the snow tires on for 4 months, then the other 8 put on the michelon summer tires (some tire shops do this for free if you buy your snow's from there)

<font color=blue>-Ramb<font color=red>0</font color=red></font color=blue>
Yeah, Mongolians!

Old 02-18-2003, 07:56 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have 17" Yokohama snows on my Coupe and altho we havn't had a lot of snow this year, the car has performed very well in what we have had. The stock summer tires are useless (if not dangerous) in the snow. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>Gsedanman</font color=red>

Old 02-18-2003, 08:51 PM

YES THE 18" PILOTS WITH THE SPORT PACKAGE ARE BAD IN THE SNOW. REPEAT... BAD IN THE SNOW.

Old 02-18-2003, 10:34 PM

Listen I live in NYC and just got hit with one of the top snow storms in 7yrs what I did was I just left my baby (G35 6MT) in the garage and took mass transit. That's my best advice don't take such a beautiful car out in this nasty weather.

Old 02-18-2003, 11:25 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I heard there's a bunch buried that wished they had left them in the garage. It said on the news that there was about .5 meter (1.5 feet) that will end up costing about 20 million bucks to clear. WOOOOOOOOOOOW
Mass transit is the only way.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=red>Gsedanman</font color=red>

Old 02-19-2003, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a bad design for snow, simple as that. Rear-drive, front-engine, low ground clearance, high torque, 17" or 18" wheels stock. Oh, and anti-lock brakes are lousy in snow too. You would definitely have a very hard time driving a G in any sort snow build up over 2 or 3 inches without winter tires. It's fine on post-snowstorm plowed roads though, even without winter tires.

But personally, I'd sooner spend $2000 on an old Subaru than $1200 on a winter package for the G. The Soob is far better for that anyway, and why would you subject your G to all the salt and dirt they spread over the roads during a storm, all of which will brush up against your undercarriage if the snow has any depth. The only problem with that strategy would be if you live in an apartment and don't have space for a second car.

-Jack

Black obsidian / graphite '03 Coupe premium nav

Old 02-19-2003, 02:18 PM

YES THE 18" PILOTS WITH THE SPORT PACKAGE ARE BAD IN THE SNOW. REPEAT... BAD IN THE SNOW.

What he said!!! I have the 18" Pilots and they are very dangerous in slippery conditions. My 55 series BFG g-force KDWS on my SHO handle like Blizzaks compared to the Michelins.
Just to get the point across, my coupe is no safer than my '89 5.0 Mustang in snowy conditions...that should tell it all right there.

Old 02-20-2003, 04:10 PM

I picked up my G35C 6MT with the 18" wheels and Brembro brakes in December. I live in Minneapolis and we were having a light winter (really!) and I was hopeful maybe I'd get through . . . no such luck. A couple of weeks ago I flew back into town in the middle of a snowstorm and almost got squashed driving the G back home. When I finally got there I got stuck in the driveway. I called the dealer and they weren't helpful at all. They didn't seem to know what to do about snow tires --- odd for Minnesota. I ended up calling the Tire Rack and ordering direct from them. They have a package with steel wheels, Dunlop Winter Sports for the rear, and Blizzaks for the front. Cost was $1500 mounted, balanced, and delivered. They didn't ruin the handling as much as I thought it would. With the traction control and VDC the car is pretty stable in the slippery stuff. If we get the big snow (which we always do -- like in April) I'll just rely on my wife to drive me around in her MDX. I'm not real happy with the look of the wheels but it's only a few months . . . right?

Old 02-20-2003, 08:17 PM

From NYC...still digging out. Had some snow 10 days ago...inch or two. Got stuck for 10 minutes in an inch of slush at the corner. No traction at all. 6MT, aero. 18" Pilots in the rear are USELESS. I've driven 5 speed, rear wheel drive cars for 20 years...Lexus SC 300 most recently...never had this much trouble in so little snow. Needless to say..after Mondays' snow, I just left it parked. Took it out today for the first time since the storm, and avoided slushy corners and snow-lined streets like the plague. Next winter its got to be snow tires. Its going to be tough going without them if the G35c is your only means of transportation. Good Luck

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 Coupe in Snow