G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Supercharger stress on engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2004, 01:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supercharger stress on engine

I have been thinking about getting a supercharger or turbo on my coupe but was hesitating because I know it can put additional stress on the engine and shorten it's life, which is the last thing I want. Does anyone know how much stress or how much it will shorten the life of the engine? I want to keep this car for a long time.

Old 03-03-2004, 03:28 PM
Re: Supercharger stress on engine

my philsophy is, "if anything breaks, its just an excuse to get forged internals and raise the boost"

Old 03-03-2004, 03:52 PM

couldn't have put it better myself...how's that vortech going along? any stories for us here? i'm still doing research on the ATI, but i want to know some details on the vortech as well, PM me...i've been talking to eagle1 about his ATI and i want another's impression on a different setup...he hasnt posted in a while, he's probably out having too much fun with his car, lol! but yea, dude, if stress on your engine is the last thing you want, don't bother with doing anything FI cos it will definitely shorten the lifespan of your motor, and there are alot of variables on the lifespan of your motor i.e. how hard you drive it, how long you drive it, how well you keep it tuned, how often you do maintenance on the motor...keep in mind, once you put all that power in your car, there's no telling when your motor will go, it could go on the dyno on the first run if something went wrong, it could go years from now, u never know if your fuel pump will fail, there are many variables that come into play, i'm not trying to scare you, but it can be a painstaking and expensive process in the quest for reliable HP,it's a risk that some are willing to take and can afford, keep in mind the cost of maintenance and frequent tuning and the cost of a new motor...luckily for us, there are a handful with FI in their cars who are taking the right steps and keeping us posted so that we can follow and not take the wrong road to disaster...

04 DG/G/6MT/Premium/Nav/Clear Bra
Bone Stock...to be continued...
"You kill mah brodah, now I kill you!" - some old kung-fu flick

Old 03-03-2004, 11:53 PM
IQ9

Well put...very well put!

03.5 Sedan/B.Sil/Prem/Wntr/Aero/Tint/Rims/Hotchkis Sways--WHRER ARE OUR PARTS!
69 Chevelle Hard Top BB/4.11's/Posi

Old 03-04-2004, 03:21 PM

My service advisor at the dealership (not they know jack) told me that he is good friends with the owner of HKS. The owner of HKS said that the G can really take any more than an additional 80hp. Any more and it will blow up the engine. Don't know how accurate this is but just thought I'd pass on what I heard.

Black on Black 6MT W/Clear Corners & PIAAs
Borla TDE
Hyper Grounding Kit
19s on order

Old 03-04-2004, 03:28 PM

I meant CAN'T take much more than 80hp. Board won't let me edit my posts. Odd..

Black on Black 6MT W/Clear Corners & PIAAs
Borla TDE
Hyper Grounding Kit
19s on order

Old 03-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can't write the check to repair it, do not do it.
Corky Bell, a master of FI, basically says that if you do it right, even if you are an aggressive driver, you should get about 80% of the life of an NA motor. So if you have a motor that should do 300k miles, all you get is 240k miles.
Hmmmm. Doesn't seem like a big problem to me.

What really matters is taking good care of it, and remember that aggressive driving is not the same as thrashing and violent maneuvers. that is stupid and nonskill driving, and probably what wears out everything on the car more quickly than anything. Respecting the machine, allows you to go fast with less wear and repair, even with FI.
Performance driving on the track is not that hard on the car. Performance driving on the street is very hard on the car (drift a turn and slide over a botts button, or a bunch of concrete saw cut grooves, bounce over an intersection drain dip, etc) and often in violation of the universal requirement of never piloting a car at any speed that is not safe. So if you can be disciplined, get the FI, take it to the track for the big adrenaline surge, and then just use it selectively and judiciously in the public arena....and you will have lots of fun miles of motoring with it.
Give it one ounce less respect than it deserves and it will blow up in your face and leave you a $10k engine rebuild bill like dollar says.....maybe more like $14k if you go to race spec internals.....with MORE BOOST!
Safe travels. Cheers.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways