G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Anyone had this problem with fuel tank?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone had this problem with fuel tank?

OK, I've had this fuel gauge problem since the car was new. First they replaced one sending unit - didn't fix it. Second they reset something electronic (they couldn't exactly tell me what) - didn't fix it. The last thing they did was replace the circuit board in the dash. This was done I'm told after consultation with Infiniti engineers in Japan. I was very nervous about this fix. And guess what - it didn't fix the problem either and now I'm living with my worst fear - an annoying rattle in the dash can now be heard over harsh bumps.

Based on the number of posts on this topic there must be some defect here but I couldn't find anything specific in the TSBs. Anyway I'm about to give up and just live with it.

Old 03-13-2004, 01:20 PM

I got my car exactly one week ago and this was th esecond time I filled my car with gas. The first time I did it I had no problem, but today I noticed the same issue you just posted about.

<B>04 AT Brilliant Silver</B>

Old 03-13-2004, 01:33 PM

This has actually happened to me the last 3 times I've tried to fill my tank. It stopped at half full. It might be at certain pumps like some have said, because all the 3 times were at the same gas station at the same pump. I'm gonna go try a different gas station and see what happens...

Old 03-14-2004, 09:48 PM

I've filled up a couple of times since the dealer changed my sensor and I've had no problems. I would try the dealer if I were you.

Old 03-15-2004, 07:24 PM
DED

How a sensor could have anything to do with filling the gas tank is beyond me.

Unless you have no idea how much gas is in the tank to begin with.

This problem has nothing to do with a sensor or anything else electronic.

Certain pumps or conditions will not allow you to fill the tank no matter what you do. Very irritating if you're on a long highway trip. Like coming back from a meet in Jax.

2004 G35C 6MT Black. Sweet.

Old 03-17-2004, 03:14 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, WTF is up with this. I go to fill up my empty tank (light on and level on E) and I can only get 10.46 gals in. I tried removing the nozzle and inserting it at different angles and different positions (all the way in, half way in....) for over 2 minutes and it just keeps clicking off. Even if I tried to just give it a little squeeze it clicks off. Man was I pissed, other people looking at me like WTF you doing, your tanks full. I jump in my car and start it up and it shows only half full. Boy, was it a bad day at the gas station, When I first pulled up I parked with the pump on the drivers side (cause my old car was on this side and this is only the second time I'm filling up, and I had to move to another pump, how embarrasing.

Old 03-18-2004, 01:53 AM

it's definitely not the gauge, I went around 320 miles on the tank so there is no way that it only used 10 gals of gas. That thing is screwed up, I don't want to have to put gas in my car every 3 days cause I can only get 10 gals in there.

Old 03-18-2004, 01:33 PM
Charter Member Florida G35 Club

I brought my car in for this problem. Thye installed a new gauge cluster, now it works to full but it won't go above full like it used to.

Ivory Pearl / 6MT / Aero / Premium / Xenon Lights Everywhere / Mirror Tint / Injen CAI / Injen SES Exhaust / Tanabe Racing Springs / Ground Wire Kit / Apex'i S-AFC II

Old 03-19-2004, 01:35 PM

Loren, yea I thought it may have just been the needle but I checked mileage as well. The Nav reports the same thing also, so I'm pretty sure the tank is just not allowing any more in at half full.

Old 03-19-2004, 03:17 PM

weird because this just happened to me for the first time today....I thought it mighta had something to do with the weather. All I did was squeeze only half way and it worked.

G35 Coupe Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Premium/Aero/ Blizzaks and 17's till March /

Old 03-19-2004, 05:45 PM

this has happened to me only once and have no idea why. i tried different things but finally got it to fill up by pulling the nozzle up until it was barely inside the top of the fill port, then squeezed halway like sixone did. hasn't happened in 2 fillups since.

04 6MT sedan, black/willow

Old 03-19-2004, 06:05 PM

ok, this is wierd, I fill up at Chevron and it only goes halfway, I fill up at Tesoro and it goes to full tank. Must be something about pump rates or maybe the nozzle type like someone mentioned.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:36 AM
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Had this happen last night! Still having gauge issues too. Calling the dealer today

2003 BLK/BLK 6-spd Injen clear corners

Old 03-24-2004, 04:30 PM

I don't think some of you guys understand the problem some of us are having. You fill up the car until the pump clicks off, you get in the car, and despite the tank being full the meter (in my case) only went to the "almost full" line, not just above the fat "f" line like it has for the last year. The dealership replaced the fuel tank sending unit, which is an electronic part located under the rear seats were the fuel pump access is. It sends a voltage reading to the meter which then is supposed to read how much fuel is in the tank. From what I undertand the coupes have one while the sedans have two. The service writer told me they have been replacing a lot of these. Unfortunatley mine is still not reading correctly so I have to go back again tomorrow. I have a feeling until Infiniti decides to make a revised part we're SOL. Someone mentioned calling Infiniti consumer affairs if you are having the problem, probably not a bad idea so they can log it and they will reslove the issue sooner.

'03 G35 Coupe 6spd, briliant silver, all options. Brembo upgrade all 4 corners, 19" Gunmetal LE3T's, HKS Hipermax LS+, HKS Legamax exhaust, Gialla grill.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anyone had this problem with fuel tank?