New member... have some questions about G35 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by TheG35Dude
Usually higher engine rpm's = more oil sneaking past the rings

I see what your saying. BUT i dont run High RPM. 100 miels a day, all highway. well, all but about 5 miles.

Old 12-30-2007, 03:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Possible Insight Re: Oil Consumption

I had occasion to work on a project with a couple of engineers I've known for years (used to do vehicle testing for govt agencies). Both guys are real "gear-heads" and car collectors. Both also have M45s... Anyway, one just bought an '05 6MT (brand new engine) that had the "oil consumption" issue... He talked to someone in Japan at length before he bought the car, and he advised that the thinking seems to be that improper "break-in" procedure is a strongly suspected culprit in the oil consumption issue. As he explained it, it did make a lot of sense.

There's a school of thought that with today's manufacturing processes, one can take a new car out and immediately "drive it like you stole it"... and they do... According to the engineers he spoke with, this is never recommended break-in procedure and will always lead to oil consumption issues eventually.
They tend to see this more frequently with the higher performance "Rev Up" VQs with more generous rev-limiter settings. They suspect these engines are "bumping limiters" too soon in the "break-in" phase... They're also not that pleased with the the name (Rev-Up) since it seems to imply and encourage such activity prematurely - but that's marketing for you...

Bottom line - This widespread theory indicates that early abuse appears to be the primary cause of early and excessive oil consumption...

I pointed out that surely there are owners who did follow recommended "break-in" procedures and still had an oil issue... so, are they exceptions to the rule? His response was... "Possibly, but are they the only drivers who have ever driven the car? Ever valet park? Ever leave your car overnight at a dealership? Now, do you see my point?" I had no response to that... I'd like to think I'm the only driver of my car... But, I worked at a dealership as a go'fer in high school - 'nuff said...

FWIW... They didn't have any real issues with dino vs synthetic oil - so long as the frequency of oil & filter changes were within recommendations.

This is just intended as food for thought... and of course... YMMV...

Old 12-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Bottom line to all that are considering the G35 Coupe is that with all the feedback read in different forums, there are definitely issues with the car. Issues means more than one area. Depending upon one's tolerance to these problem areas will help you decide on purchasing. At least you will not be going in blind!