G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New member... have some questions about G35 coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:52 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
New member... have some questions about G35 coupe

hey guys, i just signed up for this forum today. i don't have a G35 coupe but i plan on getting one very soon once i sell my car. Anyways, i read around about the problems about the G35 coupe 6mt.
The questions I have are...
- what is "oil consumption" problem mean? i'm confused about this... i think i have an idea but i might be thinking wrong. also it's scary how supposely when you get into this problem, people get new motors and trannys? that's what i read somewhere in a thread. How do i prevent this oil consumption problem???
- what was the miles per gallon on the sticker when it was brand new at the dealers? it seems like everyone has very bad gas mileage for this car. I thought alot of the new cars now are better at gas saving... not worse.
- Rattles... are there any ways to stop the rattles? any threads that shows that
- Rear tires... i read that a few people said that they had to go through many sets of tires... why is that?
- Radio... i read that some people have a problem with the left speaker not working because of the headunit? what caused this? is there a way to fix it?
- Any other problems that i haven't mentioned? please let me know
The reason why i'm asking so much is because i'm gonna buy this car myself with my own money & i want to know everything about this car before purchasing it. thanks for the help.

Old 12-26-2007, 12:23 AM
a.k.a kleicoupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Oil consumption is a problem on the 2005+ or newer 6MT cars with the Rev-up motor, there may be some non rev-ups with this problem but 99% are the 05 and newer cars. If you get a car that has this problem the dealer must do oil consumption tests and see if the car does burn oil, if it does, they then must replace the motor.

2. The gas milage really depends on how you drive the car. aka dont floor it at ever stop light.

3. Yes the car does rattle, and the dealer can fix some of them. You could also fix them yourself wth some felt and other little things.

4. Rear tires also depend on your driving style. I went through my OEM Bridgestone's in 7k miles, but the set of toyos I got lasted me 25k. Depends on your driving style because some people have gotten 25k plus out of the OEM tire.

5. I have never heard of the left spreker problem, but I do know that the headunits do decide to die out from time to time. All you have to do is restart the car, and the problem is gone.

6. Other problems: The 6MT's do have some tranny grind problems in 5th gear, a bunch of people have had there trannys replaced.
-Window regulators wear out fast.
-alignment can easily get out of wack, and cause the front tires to "feather" or get bald on the inside of the tread.

Thats all I can think of now, but next time search. I'm in a good mood so I decided to type it all out.....

Old 12-26-2007, 02:28 AM
Received 205 Likes on 182 Posts
"oil consumption" means the car is eating alot of oil there really is no way to prevent it... kleicoupe said all the rest

gas mileage does depend on the driving but sometimes not... me i get around 12mpg and i dont push my car thats with normal driving but i do mostly city driving...

your dealer can fix most of the rattles

tires that depends on your driving... my OEM tires lasted me over 30K

Radio there can be a few different problems with the Radio but if you have warranty your dealer should replace the headunit and you may not have any problems at all

other problems +1 on the Window regulators also the door lock actuator but both can be fixed under warranty...

do you wanna buy new or used?

Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
+3 to go along with everything the other guys said. I am currently having my third engine installed on an 03, im a rare one I guess The pitfalls of our cars are way out wayed by the good looks and stares our car gets. I dont care how old the g35 gets, it just attracts the attention of everyone, I still cant believe it.

Old 12-26-2007, 08:29 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by kleicoupe
4. Rear tires also depend on your driving style. I went through my OEM Bridgestone's in 7k miles
7K My OEM 19" lasted 20K

Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 AM
Banned
man O.P be prepared to replace tires every 6k miles. Car eats them for breakfast lunch dinner and occasional snacks

Old 12-26-2007, 12:40 PM
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Beebo
"oil consumption" means the car is eating alot of oil there really is no way to prevent it... kleicoupe said all the rest

gas mileage does depend on the driving but sometimes not... me i get around 12mpg and i dont push my car thats with normal driving but i do mostly city driving...

your dealer can fix most of the rattles

tires that depends on your driving... my OEM tires lasted me over 30K

Radio there can be a few different problems with the Radio but if you have warranty your dealer should replace the headunit and you may not have any problems at all

other problems +1 on the Window regulators also the door lock actuator but both can be fixed under warranty...

do you wanna buy new or used?
i'm planning to buy used.
thanks everyone for the replies and helping me out.

ahh i don't know what to do anymore because the reason i wanted to pick up a different car is because my accord is getting old and i know eventually the tranny is gonna break down soon so i decided to pick up something nice like a G35 cause i thought i would avoid getting into problems with cars by getting another car...

Old 12-26-2007, 12:55 PM
wow only 12mpg. That's pretty low.

Old 12-26-2007, 01:07 PM
Well the G35 is a very reliable car...don't let these problems hinder your decision that much. Its not like a 98-01 Mercedes ML which could arguably could be the worst quality vehicle produced (slight exaggeration)....

Another 6MT problem I've heard is premature break wear from the Brembos but again, as with the MPG and the Rear Tires (driving style). My brakes on my 06 usually go around 20-25k. I'm getting them replaced now at 47k. Its just the way things go.

Rattles, every car is going to rattle. Dealer will fix most. If you lower the car and do modifications, a front strut bar and GT Spec bars will do the trick of lessening the body creak.

Oil Consumption...I don't know what the percentage is of people that have this problem. I know alot of the V8 models of Infinitis have this problem as well and some of the older QX4s.

Radio...the only radio problems I've heard is that people don't like their Bose Stereos...not that they don't work, but they just don't like them. I like mine.

+1 on the window motor....dealer will take care of this for you. Luckily no problem on my 06 but had it fixed three times on my 04.

Again, other than the oil consumption part, its just how you drive and normal stuff that comes with the car.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by B_Lam
i'm planning to buy used.
thanks everyone for the replies and helping me out.

ahh i don't know what to do anymore because the reason i wanted to pick up a different car is because my accord is getting old and i know eventually the tranny is gonna break down soon so i decided to pick up something nice like a G35 cause i thought i would avoid getting into problems with cars by getting another car...
every car will have its different problems no matter what you get...

Old 12-26-2007, 06:05 PM
a.k.a kleicoupe
If you plan to keep the car for a long time, then I would just make sure it has alot of warrenty left, or buy a longer warrenty.

Old 12-28-2007, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts
OK, Oil Consumption issues????

I have an 03 5AT with 70,100 miles on it. I am noticing some oil consumtion. 2.5 qt's in 4k miles. I figure since I am out of warantee i am FVCKED right?????

I never have heard of the 03-04's being prone to oil consumption, is it common?

Old 12-28-2007, 06:17 PM
Received 187 Likes on 140 Posts
Originally Posted by B_Lam
- Rear tires... i read that a few people said that they had to go through many sets of tires... why is that?
many forum members have lowered cars causing an exaggerated rear negative camber resulting in premature tire wear. An aftermarket camber kit can help prevent this from happening.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by kuneff

I have an 03 5AT with 70,100 miles on it. I am noticing some oil consumtion. 2.5 qt's in 4k miles. I figure since I am out of warantee i am FVCKED right?????

it can happen but its rare...

Old 12-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kuneff

Usually higher engine rpm's = more oil sneaking past the rings

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New member... have some questions about G35 coupe