G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

let this be a lesson

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: let this be a lesson

I agree, it was stupid, i was trying to mend a old friendship and he just spat in my face basically, forget him.

2004 6MT Coupe Graphite/Graphite / Performance / Premium / Sirius / Navigation / Clear Bra / Aero / Trunk Mat

Old 03-07-2004, 10:52 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I follow Merlin's advice. I never let anyone drive my car, except the wife, and I never drive any of my friend's cars. You never know when you're going to be on the bad end of someone running a red light or something.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 10:59 PM
Premier Member

When I was living in London, my then Brother in law pleaded too borrow my car ( a brand new BMW325i) too go on an emergency "errand". I thought about it and finally said "yes". I was on holiday in Greece at the time, when i got back he'd racked up over 400 miles, broke the handbrake cable and the car drove like a pig. It was also a company car, not mine. Too top it all off, he denied everything. I beat the living s**t out of him. Thank God my sister divorced the ****.

Old 03-08-2004, 02:23 AM

I remember a clutch job on my old '86 Accord from an independent mechanic ran around $500, so it's not going to be cheap. Unfortunately, your "friend" doesn't sound like the kind of guy who'd step up to the plate and pay it, either.

Get a quote from your dealer, and a quote from a good independent shop that specializes in transmissions.

Old 03-08-2004, 02:37 AM

r u sure he knows how to drive a manual?

Coupe 6-spd Twilight Blue/Black Premium

Old 03-08-2004, 07:21 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had a lot of experience with manual cars in the past....and I've had to replace the whole clutch/pressure plate/throw out bearing deal a few times....

Do you really think its necessary to consider replacing the clutch over that one time A-Holes mistake?

I'm sure with a little "normal" driving the clutch, if it is glazed or burnt alittle should by normal operation tend to resurface itself, then I would think it should be fine...

My RX7 was notorious for clutch chatter when It was warm or in stop and go traffic...that was a design flaw from Mazda, many people changed out the clutch & pressure plate to eliminate it. That car would stink of burning clutch in those situations sometimes as well....

People pull hole shots and power launches all the time with these cars and think the system is designed to take a pretty lot of punishment....It might not last as long as the "average Joe", like myself who doesn't really hotdog around too much anymore, but the point of this all is your so called friends stupidity should only be a short term annoyance..

Just my .02.......<font color=blue>2old4this</font color=blue>

04 cpe IP/willow/5at/prem/18's/JDM clear corners/Piaa's/MTEC H4 Super White fog/highs

Old 03-08-2004, 09:32 AM

The acrid smell of a burned clutch plate will linger for several days, gradually diminishing. The glaze that he probably gave to the contact surfaces may slowly and slightly improve, but from the description there is no question but that it has lost some of the grip and has been worn unevenly.

A clutch is going to run you around $400 for the part, and the same for labor. Not a cheap lesson, but a lot better than if he dumped it, spun the rear 90 degrees and launched across the street over a curb or into a sign pole, tearing out your suspension, bending spindles and heaven knows what all else. The jerk actually did relatively little damage compared to what could have happened given his obvious complete lack of skill.

Consider this. IF and WHEN you decide that you want to change your clutch, go to the Nismo performance clutch, little difference in cost and better. BUT, in addition you should swap out the flywheel for the lightweight Nismo version. Because the tranny is already torn down, there is virtually no additional labor, the part is another $400, and the perfomance upgrade you get from it is really nice. As long as you are in there "make some lemonade out of the lemons" experience. You won't be thanking your friend, but you will be making the best of it.
IF you need a tire iron for his ribcage, pick one up cheap at Autozone and wear gloves so there are no prints.

Cpe 6MT/Aero/Prem/ATI/RT cats/Borla hdrs-catbcks/Nismo flywhl-cltch/TS-ECU/Tein flex EDFC/Stillen sways

Old 03-08-2004, 09:59 AM

I agree with Eagle 1. The burnt smell will go away, so your hot chick will still notice how new your car smells! That problem solved, give it some time. The clutch feel might go back to normal. The clutch as is, will probably last for years, if you don't let anyone else drive your car. If you do a clutch replace, I also suggest changing the flywheel to Nismo or Stillen. The flywheel should be resurfaced with a clutch change anyway, so give yourself a few more ponies & less weight by doing it. If you decide, just beware of warranty issues, if done by an independent mechanic.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:11 AM

I have 4700 miles. The smell is gone now this morning after cooling off in the garage. Inside smells fine thank god, or i just got used to it which would suck
As for now, i will not replace it, but if it gets any worse i might. Thanks for all the replies, it has made me feel better. This guy is an [censored] and i wont be talking to him again. Hopefully the clutch will even itself out.
It's how you findout who your real friends are. I know plenty of real friends who would not do this, they would respect my wishes when i tell them not to do that, but this guy did and is no longer a friend.
Thanks all.

2004 6MT Coupe Graphite/Graphite / Performance / Premium / Sirius / Navigation / Clear Bra / Aero / Trunk Mat

Old 03-08-2004, 09:22 PM

Sorry fellas, but most of you sound like drama queens.

The fact of the matter is that a clutch is DESIGNED to slip to get the car moving from a dead stop, and even slips a bit during each gear change normally......

If the clutch surface did get glazed, it should eventually clear itself up as it wears under normal driving conditions.

Your clutch/pressure plate is not made out of tissue paper...... it can take more abuse than most people think. The last thing I would do is even think about replacing it because of a little bit of abuse.

Old 03-08-2004, 10:05 PM
'shatter'

ok... so if you feel a shattering of the clutch, stuttering, you should just dump it, let go of the clutch entirely? I've had this happen to me a few times especially during slow traffic followed by sudden acceleration, I usually stop accelerating and allow engine speed to calm down... then accelerate at a slower pace....