G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 vs. RX-8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 vs. RX-8

Everyone nows that that the natural competitor to the G35 Coupe is the Mazda RX-8. But how different are they in terms of acceleration and handling? I heard the G is better acceleration while the RX is a little better handling (0.91 g on the skidpad?). I also heard the gas mileage is even worse than the 18/24 Mazda says the RX-8 does, if this is this so, that's bad.....A
ny thought's or suggestions as I am seriously considering both cars?

Old 03-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Deep Sea Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: G35 vs. RX-8

The only categories the RX8 beat the G in was handling (0.5g) and braking (3 ft). They even turned identical lap times. Every acceleration category (1/4, 0-60, 0-100, 0-130, rolling starts, etc) the G beat the RX8. 0-130 it beats it by almost 7 seconds. In the features and amenities category the G got a 10 and the RX8 got a 5.

Also the RX8 has too many bumps all over it....IMO.

Russ

Black 6MT Coupe
Jax, FL
PS2 and Headrest Monitors Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 04:27 PM

The rx-8 is slower than an RSX - handles well tho

Old 03-10-2004, 04:38 PM

I too looked at both cars and am now the proud owner of a 2004 Black G35Coupe.

Without going into a ton of detail and boring everyone... When I first saw the RX-8 I liked it a lot, kind of fell into lust with it. But the feeling wore off quickly. I could not get past the slow accelleration and the need to keep the rotary engine around 6k RPM to get any kind of performance out of it. I test drove the G and fell into love with it. It was everything I was looking for in a sports car (performance wise) and it turned a lot of heads due to it sleek looks. Oh yeah, the Mazda is too short.

Hope this helps.

2004 G35c 5AT/Prem/18" Tire Opt/Aero Kit/Clear Sides/Pedal Kit/Tint/Z-Tube/K&N Drop-in

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by gsedanman on 03/10/04 02:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 03-10-2004, 04:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test drive them both. They're fun, very different personalities, although I personally decided to sell my G and not drive either of them. In straight line acceleration, the G is clearly faster, and doesn't require much work to keep it in its powerband (even the ATs are fast). I think the gearing on the 8 is much longer than it ought to be, and that just sucks the acceleration out of it off the line and after each shift. I do like the feel of the shifter itself better than the G's. In turns, it's not so much the grip threshold (although keep in mind that the 8 holds with the G despite inferior tires) as it is the communication level with the driver. In a very short time I thought I had as good a sense for the 8's limit as I did for the G, which I've had for a year. But unless you take your cars to the track (and if you do, neither car is a good choice), you're not going to go looking for the car's limits very often. For normal driving, the 8 is definitely more 'tossable'. I like the 8's interior a little better, but it's not great. Backseat is better due to headroom. Trunk and cargo space is much better on the G Coupe due to fold down seats. Finally, I think the G looks much better and sounds better, although the 8's sound is unique.

Gas mileage? Eh. I've seen a wide range of reports, same as with the G, but the G will be better overall. On the other hand, you can buy the 8 right now for a few hundred dollars over invoice. With a MT G, you're doing well if you get a couple hundred dollars below sticker. That'll buy you more than enough gas to make up the difference.

Overall, I'd say the G35 is definitely the safer choice, but go ahead and pick whichever you like more.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe (for sale)

Old 03-10-2004, 05:03 PM

Natural competitor? I think the RX-8 and the G35 are like apples and oranges.

I'm curious to see what everyone else here thinks, I've never en thought about the 2 in the same category. I think the BMW 330ci is really the only car in the G35 coupe's class

'04 Coupe 5AT BS | Premium | NAV | 18" Wheels | Borla Exhaust | Aluminum Pedals | Clear Corners |

Old 03-10-2004, 05:11 PM

Yeah, i don't think they are in direct competition. RX-8 is lack in the term of luxury and performance. Mazda's interior is really crappy imo. I think RX-8's major competitor is the WRX while G35 coupe's major competitors are 330CI and TL.

Old 03-10-2004, 05:54 PM

In my opinion, the G35 is in a class of its own. For the price of a G35, there is no other car out there that can deliver the same type of performance, jaw dropping looks, and still retain the luxury aspect and have a backseat to boot. It's the best coupe on the market. And if you are willing to part wiht the backseat, the 350z is also an excellent choice.

The 330ci is close but I would never buy one, it is more money, less performance, everyone in the world has one, similar styling in all models except the M3, and everyone has one. Did i mention everyone has one? Although i do think they are nice cars and are fun to drive.

In terms of performance class alone, however, there are a wide range of cars out there that are close to the G in acceleration. The 545i, 540i, E36 M3, GS430, S4, RSX type S, s2000, 350z, 300zx, rx7, 3000GT VR4, 2004 mustang GT, 99 SVT cobras, (305 horse), XLR (and forget about a CTS or XLR with a V badge next to to, stay far away from those) CLK 500, CLK 430, Porsche boxter, boxster S, WRX and TL type S are all on similar levels of performance straight out of the factory, although some are on higher levels than others.

I disagree wiht you about the rx-8 being the natural competitor to the G35. I think of the G35 as being significantly faster and more classy, However, the rx- 8 is "competition" for the G35 because it is new, it has innovative styling, its a sports car, its something different from most cars in the respect that it is driven by a rotary engine, and its priced well. If you are going to get an RX-8, wait until they come out with the new, more performace based model.
Good luck with your decision.

Old 03-10-2004, 05:55 PM

I'd say the G's natural competitor is the 330ci.....ohhhhh boy I have a thing against ALL 330 drivers. My license plate seems to get under their skin

G35 Coupe Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Premium/Aero/ Blizzaks and 17's till March /

Old 03-10-2004, 05:57 PM

what do u have now after u sold ur G?

hometown.aol.com/v35skylinepnoy
Sactown Cali

<font color=purple>KINGS</font color=purple>

Old 03-10-2004, 06:03 PM
Location: Metropolitan South Farmington, not too far from the supercity we all know as Wilmot, NS

The fact that C&D and R&T SCI all did or made comparisons between the two cars suggests that the industry certainly views them as competitors. I considered the RX, but decided that it was a little too "matchbox dinky car"-like in styling, less luxurious, and less prestigious. More boy-racer than GT, and at 38, I'm looking for GT. Automobile mag compared the 330Ci to the G (G won), so I see that as valid. CLK 320 is a distant competitor (but lacking the G's performance) I think we'll see a return of the Acura CL soon (hopefully more serious).

DB

Old 03-10-2004, 06:06 PM

There isn't going to be a return of the CL, rather a two door coupe version of the TL. the clk 320 is under matched and over priced, my father has one, he went with the smaller engine because he is shipping it over seas and doesn't need the power...and trust me it has no power. The 500 is serious though.

G35 Coupe Brilliant Silver/Graphite/Premium/Aero/ Blizzaks and 17's till March /

Old 03-10-2004, 06:08 PM

Just watch BEST MOTORING on your DVD player. They show you how to handle both cars to the max. And the SKYLINE coupe is 100% better than the RX-8. The S2000 was lighter and better.

Thanks,

Chris

Old 03-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Best Motoring video showed the G35C obliterating the RX-8.... in straights and even corners. The RX-8 is a fun tossable car at very tight tracks, but when you get out road racing or just cruising on highways, the difference in performance shows. The RX-8 also suffers from Mazda service, quality rotary flooding, poor gas milage, lack of torque, oil burning habit, trendy styling, more plasticky interior and poor resale value. --------------- but hey, it's fun to drive and seats 4!

Old 03-10-2004, 06:56 PM

Its slower but it looks really funky, it's cool.

but the Crossfire it just trash its not even half as fast as it looks and the back looks like a PT Curser

AKA SET ROK

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 vs. RX-8