G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

People in Jersey... Accident..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 11:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People in Jersey... Accident..

Well anyone driving on route 80 in Northern Jersey at around 6:30ish PM... Well I saw like 5 G35's pass as I was cought in a nice 5 car pileup. One car was reckless driving weaving in and out of traffic and cut into the left lane.. The person in front of him hit the brakes and he rear ended her. The car in front of me hit his brakes sooooo hard there was white smoke everywhere!!! So I slamed my brakes and stoped about 6-12 inches from his bumper then as soon as I came to a stop the car behind me slamed into me soo hard that it pushed me into the car in front of me. So it was a nice lil 5 car chain accident. Looks like ill need and new front/rear bumper, front grill, hood (lil dent), mid pipe and muffler. That all I can see for now... Now 2 other people said that they saw that guy weaving in and out of traffic. So the cop told me that he will put that into the report that he started it. What will happen insurance wise??? Iv never been in an accident b4 so im clueless... Do you think insurance will go up or will it be just a warning?

Grounding kit - Yellow Top Optima Battery
350z Pipe / Stillen High-Flow-JUN Flywheel
Crawford Intake Manifold V5 Black-High - Flow cats
Nismo Clutch
Best 1/4 14.153 @ 99.19 / 2.29 - 60'

Old 03-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: People in Jersey... Accident..

Sorry to hear about your situation. Generally, the bastard who was recklessly driving is liable for all damages to all parties. However, the law may be interpreted differently among states, counties, cities. Suffice to say that if people drove at "safe" distances from each other, there may have only been 2 cars involved in this accident....the jack @$$ and the unfortunately individual that the jack @$$ cut off.

In some other thread that was posted, I recall that the burden of liability fell on each individual. That is, you were able to stop and not rear end the individual in front of you. However, the person who rear-ended you...who then caused you to rear-end someone...would be liable for your damage and the car that was damaged that you rear-ended.

Good luck with everything...and hopefully no one was seriously injured.

'03 G35 C Prem Pkg, Navi, Aero, Performance Wheel & Tire Pkg

Old 03-13-2004, 01:44 AM

The safe distance part is true and you'll be lucky to have him as the "cause" of your accident. Whats going to happen is they will ask the person you rear ended if he/she felt 1 or 2 impacts. If they say 1, you luck out and the person who hit you has to pay for the front and rear of your car as well as the rear of the person you hit. If they say two, then you will be liable for your own front end as well as the rear end your car hit. Hopefully, the safe distance rule wont apply and you wont have to go this route with it.

PS. I also live in New Jersey and my friend was involved in a very similar incident on route 9 when he first got his license. Luckily, the person who he "hit" said she only felt one impact. Hope this helps.

2003.5 G Coupe premium. 6MT Black/black No navigation. No spoiler, yet.

Old 03-13-2004, 02:06 AM

I was involved in a similar accident with my old car. It was only a three car accident, but the details were similar. The person infront of me slammed on his brakes and i did the same. As I came to a stop, some girl slammed into the back of my car, pushing me into the other car. Both the guy i hit, and the cop said that it was her fault. Sure, you needed a safe distance between the cars.. and you did! That's why you stopped without hitting him. Her pushing your car, caused you to rearend him. I ended up walking out of the accident with a bodykit, dual exhaust setup and custom grille (old car)

2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT - Premium ]| Aero |[ Bose ]| Z-Tube |[
2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sedan 5AT - Premium ]| AeroKit |[ Spoiler ]|

Best of both worlds

Old 03-13-2004, 09:58 AM

Instead of putting the money towards OEM parts can you get aftermarket and just pay the diffrence?? That would be great!!! That means I would get a nice new exhaust(nismo) and front bumper(try to get greddy) and a new grill (data systems).. Humm well going for an to autobody shop now ill see what i can do...

Nismo Clutch

Old 03-13-2004, 02:14 PM

This is for NJ at least -

I am not 100% positive, but my take on it is you are not liable for any damages. The person who hit you from the rear would be responsible for all of your damage, their own damage and the damage to the car in front of you (at least what was caused by your car). Going forward everyone else is responsible for the damage they caused by rearending someone.

The reason for this is as long as the other person didn't break any laws, the person who hit the other person is alwasy liable. The reason is you are responsible for controlling your vehicle safely at all times. In a situation like this everyone else (other than you as you stopped in time) was following too close so they are in the wrong.

Something similar happened to me once (well, was caused by me). I was driving my mother's car and went to cross a road after stopping at a stop sign (yes, I really stopped). I guess I didn't look hard enuff one way and there was a car coming. The other car T-boned my car then lost control and struck a fire hydrant. As I did something illegal (entered a roadway that was not clear) I was responsible for all damage resulting from the initial collission. However, she was responsible for the fire hydrant damage and the damage it caused her car as it was a result of her losing control after the initial accident.

Anywya, the long and the short of it is I don't think you should be liable for anything.

Hope this helps.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

2004 G35 coupe - 4150K high/fogs - more to come

Old 03-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Supa Dupa Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw the aftermath of the accident. I was traveling east bound. Oh my god... you should have seen the backup on the westbound side caused by that. It was insane. Hope everything works out for you.

---------------------------------
http://www.anythingbox.net

Old 03-13-2004, 09:39 PM

Yea it all happened in the left lane.. At one point the cops stoped all traffic and let us go into the right sholder.. Plus the car that hit me from behind hit me soo hard that he blew his radiator and his hood was bent in half.. Needless to say his car was flatbeded..

You should hear my exhaust. Its insanely loud!! It sounds sooo good!! Im not going to drive the car till all is fixed..

I hope I dont get blamed. I never got into an accident and my insurance was finally going down. Now this happened.. Im sooo pissed!! My car was hit now for the 4th time!!! (1 was a ding and the other 2 when i was parked on the street)..

Nismo Clutch

Old 03-13-2004, 10:01 PM
WRAH

Its different from state to state. In Ohio, even if you did stop in time, you are suposted to have stopped with enough distance so if someone hits you, you don't hit the next person. A lot of times they make the person in back pay for it all. It al depends on the one bump or two rule, as stated.

It sucks I know!

"What if there is no tomorrow....There wasn't one today!!!" Bill Murry
'04 OB/GL Prem.Pkg./Sport.Pkg/Splash

Old 03-13-2004, 10:17 PM

I dont realy understand the "bump" rule but how can people say that. I would be able to tell you as things happen soooooo fast.. I just wish that caddy wasnt next to me so i could of switch lanes and avoided this whole thing. But he was there and i had to stick in there whit those people..

People most of feared me as i was cursing/screaming/name calling everyone in the accident.

When I talk to the COP he said he will put that a car was recklessly driving and caused the accident.. The COP let us all leave but the guy in the Accord that caused everything!!! That same guy came up to me and all he said was "im sorry" and walked away..

Nismo Clutch

Old 03-14-2004, 07:30 PM

where on rt 80 was this?

3 years ago i was involved in a bad accident in the left lane of rt 80 in totowa/paterson on the bridge going over rt 19. there was an accident up ahead, so everyone came to a sudden stop. I stopped with plenty of distance in front of me but the truck behind me slammed into the back of me at 80MPH. Luckily I had left enough distance in front of me when i stopped that by the time my car finished flying forward, i was a centimneter off the person in front of me's bumper. The cops said that if I had hit the other lady, that the other guy would have been responsible for me hitting her, but who knows. thankfully I didn't and didn't have to deal with that. I am glad to hear you are ok though and I hope that you get some nice goodies for your car out of all this in the end.

2003 Brilliant Silver 6MT
Injen Intake