G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Paid In Full??? Negotiating Strategies!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 01:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paid In Full??? Negotiating Strategies!

Hello guys, I am obviously new to the forum, and I must compliment the flame free environment. Ok here is my question, I WILL be buying a brand new 6MT Couple within the next week or two. I have looked through the local dealer inventory's here in San Diego and it looks like I am going to have to order one from the factory for the options I want which are:

6MT
Black Leather
Aero Kit, 4 piece
Navigation (with the premium pack. and Bose, apparently they are together from the factory)
Haven't decided on the exterior color, chosing between (black, white and the diamond graphite).

Anyhow, I want this car and I have the funds to drop all $36,000ish on her in cash, no loans, nothing. What type of strategy should I walk in there with knowing that I have the means to pay for the car right there and then? What should she go for here in SoCal? Should I finance some of it to get a lower buy price and build some credit? Should I finance, get the lower buy price, then pay it off in the next month? Let me know how these infiniti dealers play. Thanks for any advice!

Old 03-14-2004, 02:11 AM
Re: Paid In Full??? Negotiating Strategies!

Seems like you are already aware that a dealership makes more when someone finances than paying off in full. So don't let them know you'll be paying in cash. First rule of thumb is to negotiate price without mention of trade-in or financing. However, if you're looking for a good deal with minimal hassle, you should check out Grubbs Infiniti.

Old 03-14-2004, 02:12 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Finance and paying it off in the next month....I'm planning to do that too. I asked the sales guy if there was any penalty for paying it off early...and he said, "no, that was more common in the old days, not now..."

But looking at my paperwork, it says "Prepayment: If you pay off your debt early, you may be charged a minium finance charge."

Has anyone here paid off their payments early???

Old 03-14-2004, 06:12 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I Paid off my last infiniti I35 about 3yrs early when I bought my coupe and paid no penalty at all...
This could depend on the bank or financial institution which you received your loan thru....
check first to make certain there are no "hidden" fees that you may not be aware of....

Paying cash is all well and good, but I don't think its a bargaining tool in todays car buying market, I put down 3/4 of my coupes cost in cash and financed the rest, they obviously make more money on finance, so they may negotiate a better price if you do both...cash/finance

Either way, good luck and check out Grubbs, they seem to work pretty descent deals and most that buy from them seem very glad they did..[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] <font color=blue>2old4this</font color=blue>

04 cpe IP/willow/5at/prem/18's/JDM clear corners/Piaa's/MTEC H4 Super White fog/highs

Old 03-14-2004, 11:31 AM

I recently purchased a G35 coupe from Discover Infiniti in San Diego. They don't care if you finance or pay cash; the deal is the same.

As for prepayment penalties, your loan would state this if you take out a loan.

Old 03-14-2004, 03:35 PM

What I would do is tell them your options, tell them you've got cash, and that you are looking to get a deal. If they say no, just get up and tell them you have to think about financing then and start walking away.. I can assure you they will grab your arm and call you back to the table to work something out =)

Old 03-14-2004, 05:05 PM

You can probably get financing for around 3.9%. If you can find an interest bearing account that will yield 3.9% or more and allow an automatic monthly payment to be made to Infiniti, go ahead and finance the car. At the end you'll have some money left over and you will not have to make one payment. Just verify that there is no pre-payment penalty and you'll be in good shape. Plus, if a good financial opportunity came your way, you would have "liquid assets" to play with instead of having to take a loan out on your car to free up some play money.

Remember, it's all about CASH FLOW...

2004 Infiniti G35C-6MT
LR | Willow | Premium | Aero | Splash | BSM
30% Lumar Tint | Invinca Shield (C-Bra)
Z-Tube | JWT Pop Charger
RT Cats & JIC Y-Pipe(on order)

Old 03-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Should I finance some of it to get a lower buy price and build some credit?

<hr></blockquote>

If you don't have credit, it might be a good idea to finance at least part of the car. Having credit can be VERY important when you go to buy something you don't have the money for -- like a house.

2004.5 DG/G 5AT Coupe with all options
Sidemarker turnsignal mod
GroundingGear™
2003 Yamaha YZF600R

Old 03-14-2004, 09:44 PM

I went in didn't say anything about paying in cash (for first set of 04s), played along the finance game, but could NOT get a dime. I hear more ppl can now. I'm sure you can lower the price by playing finance with the salesman.

BTW. Did you say you would have to order a G and get it in a few weeks... Not gonna happen.

Black / Black 2004 GcoupeMT. Premium. Splash Guardz.

Old 03-15-2004, 07:29 AM

a straight order is 3 months. if is for common options, they might switch yours for one the dealer ordered for inventory.

04 6mtC, DG - possibly most babied G on the board.

Old 03-15-2004, 09:41 AM

I paid cash and got a thousand dollar discount when the g's first came out and dealers were not giving discounts. I simply added up the cost of everything I wanted, kept in touch with my salesperson and let him know I was serious. When it was time to order, I told him I was paying cash and gave him my bottom line price. No hassles. Everyones posts on this topic has merits, because all dealers and salespeople are different. Check some newer posts and see what kinds of deals people are getting. This will help you determine what kind of discount you may get. Keep in mind that dealers are more willing to negotiate now, because some of the novelty of the G has worn off. The one advantage of cash is that dealers know that some deals fall through because of the buyers inability to obtain financing. So at least he knows that if the buyer is serious he has a sure sale. Godspeed.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:41 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to www.edmunds.com and read their new car buying tips. Plenty of suggestions on negotiating price there.

Old 03-16-2004, 12:14 PM

Just for the record...I placed my order with the dealer on November 26, 2003..He placed the order December 6, 2003 and hopefully this week my car will arrive...so you REALLY need to be patient if you are going to order...it's like ripping out your fingernails playing the waiting game. I too am paying cash, but I negotiated the deal first...go to www.bjsauto.com or www.carsdirect.com.
Kerry