G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

question about rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 12:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question about rear spoiler

i just got my rear spoiler installed. it was included in my purchase deal, and installed by the dealer. although, i found out later that it was done by a company that travels from dealer to dealer to install them. also, the spoiler is not a true OEM item, but identically made. (the sales man lied)

anyway, i now have two "third" brake light. is that how it is on cars that came with the spoiler from the factory?? thanks.

2004 Blk/Graphite/6MT/Premium/Nav/Spoiler/XM/Splash/Formula1tint

Old 03-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Re: question about rear spoiler

Nope it somes w/o the interior 3rd brake light from the factory when you get the aero... Just unplug it, remove it, and get a pulg for the small hole. It's not that hard

2003.5 5AT
Premium Package
Tire/Wheel Package
K&N Filter, Z-Tube, EGK

Old 03-26-2004, 02:17 PM
gsg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cars with spoilers from the factory do not have a third brake light assembly in the rear window.
If you do not want two third brake lights, the easiest thing to do is to just take the bulb out of the one on the rear window (no one will know it is there but you!).
If you want to go all of the way and take out the enclosure also, do a search on this forum, as others have previously discussed how to do it.

Old 03-26-2004, 05:05 PM

I have the same setup as you. Just remove the housing for the back brake light (push the entire piece towards the rear window and lift the front part up with your thumbs) and disconnect the cable inside. As for removing the entire piece forever, if you get 20% tints, it's not that visible. I just left mine on.

2004 Ivory/Willow Auto Coupe, NAV, Premium, Performance, Aero Kit with Spoiler 4-piece.

RIP babygirl

Old 03-26-2004, 06:09 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had the dealer install my spoiler too, but they left the brake light on. I don't like two 3rd lights, so I removed mine. I prefer the clean look without the housing. I unpluged and removed the assembly, there are about 5 or 6 holes that will be left open. I made quick cover out of card board and black felt don't laugh, doesn't look too bad. I'll take some pics when I get home and post them. I used the light housing as a template and cut a piece of stiff cardboard in the same shape. I then spayed the felt with adhesive (3M 77) and stuck it to the cardboard. I used some of the pokey side of velcro on the under side to hold it in place on the dear deck. It sicks pretty good to the felt on the dash. This is only temporary since I will reskin the rear deck cover when I do my sound deadening.

Old 03-27-2004, 03:51 AM

here's apic of the under side of the cover, the white stuff is the pokey side of velcro. It sticks to the rear deck by it's self. You can save the soft side of the velcro to use as a cushion between panels that rattle.

216201-CIMG1135.jpg

Old 03-27-2004, 03:52 AM

here's a pic from inside the car.

216202-CIMG1134.jpg

Old 03-27-2004, 03:58 AM

here's a pic from the outside. car is pretty dirty since it poured today. It's not too noticeable and I think it looks better then having the 3rd light housing, bonus is that rear visibility is slightly better since it's gone. I know it's ghetto how it's made, but it get's the job done and is only temporary until I get a chance to reskin the deck cover.

Best of all only cost me 35 cents to make it. I had the cardboard, velcro and 3M super 77 adhesive already so I only had to pick up a small piece of felt from Walmart.

216203-CIMG1132.jpg

Old 03-27-2004, 09:31 AM

Be aware that the LEDs on your aftermarket spoiler may not be what you want. I looked very closely at mine and compared it to a factory spoiler and they are not even close! The LEDs were spotty and not as bright and big as the factory one. I complained to the dealer since they lied to me as well (I thought I was getting genuine Infiniti spoiler) but since the holes they had to drill for the aftermarket spoiler do not match up to the factory one I decided to leave well enough alone.

What I did was disconnect the LEDs from the aftermarket spoiler and left (actually I reconnected since I initially had disconnected it) the factory interior 3rd LED brake light on. In my opinion it looks much better.

Old 03-27-2004, 09:36 PM

Well I hope you didn't pay OEM price for a cheap aftermarket spoiler. And if the salesperson told you it was going to be OEM and it wasn't, I'd be over there right now and that salesmans ears would be ringing. Then I'd place an irate call to Infiniti North America and tell them about my poor experience with that dealer. Too many G owners take sh*t from the dealer lying down.

Old 03-28-2004, 02:27 AM

how can you tell if it OEM or aftermarket? Got a pic to compare them?