G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Looking around at 03 and 04's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking around at 03 and 04's

Between the two is there anything I should be looking for more than the other? any predominant problems on one of the two years? Also I dont know a whole lot about these cars yet, as far as options, the Xenon headlights are something I definately do want. Aside from starting the car and turning them on is there a way to tell if it has them? Thanks in advance from a future G owner

Old 03-28-2008, 02:04 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by racingtiger03
Between the two is there anything I should be looking for more than the other? any predominant problems on one of the two years? Also I dont know a whole lot about these cars yet, as far as options, the Xenon headlights are something I definately do want. Aside from starting the car and turning them on is there a way to tell if it has them? Thanks in advance from a future G owner
All G35's have Xenon Headlights. The '06+ have projector headlights though.

You can tell if they're projectors because there will be a domed lens inside the light bulb where the light shines out for each beam and a shiny sheating around it to reflect the light out in the right direction. Power windows can be a problem on these cars, and the paint is soft and chips/damages easily from road debris. If you're getting an '05+, check the oil level, because some of those engines have been known to really guzzle oil. A lot of people also have issues with the rear axels clicking when they start to accelerate from a stop up to speed and there is a TSB out to cover the repair for that if your car is still under warranty. Most people also have problems with the sunroof creaking when opening and closing it.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Hello, and welcome to the fourm.

There were only slight changes between the 03 and 04 model years.
If I remember correctly, The Tire Pressure Sensor (TPMS) was standard on the 04. also, they supposedly improved the speed of the CD changer in the premium package.

They added Twilight Blue to the color line up.

They also added an additional electrical port on the pass side of the console.

Other than that, I don't think there is much difference between the two.

There were no real oil consumption problems with these years....that started with the introduction of the "rev-up" motor on the 05 6MT models.....

There was a recall on the older G's for a faulty fuel vapor line....Make sure they did the recall....As stated they also are known for the axle click. Also, the Automatics have extreme wear on the brakes/rotors....The 6MT's have the Brembo's which do not require as much maintenance. Either way, the repairs are costly.....

Window motors are another problem, along with grease streaks on the windows occassionaly.

Good luck with your search and purchase.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:17 PM
Great info there. Whats this axle click I hadnt heard about that, but I suppose if its a TSB ill just make sure the car still either has factory warranty or get the extended, good looking out there haha. Extreme brake wear doesnt sound too good either, but as long as the brakes still stop great the rest of the time I dont mind that too much. Power windows.. Im used to that problem, my previous car was a Z28 Camaro. Same huge design flaw, big windows and standard window motors just dont go well. The big thing drawing me in on these cars is the sporty feel and still an unbelievable ride (for this type of car). Gas mileage is another plus (coming from a lifted truck that gets about 19-20 on the highway) and of course being an infinity buying used, its gonna hold its value really well . Sounds like everything I needed to know though, thanks for the quick replies.

Now I just have to find the car!.. well one thats not overpriced anyways (fell in love with one at a dealership but it was an 03 with 63k miles granted it was premium w/ navi they were asking 24 and wouldnt come down from 21. while blue book and my little manheim auction/retail guide says the car shuoldnt be anywhere over 18k *shrug* dealerships.. gotta love em.)

Old 03-28-2008, 12:58 PM
just add my 2 cents, the mpg on these varies from 16mpg (heavy foot) to 27 on (lite foot)

I get around 17-18mpg!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by silverg35guy
just add my 2 cents, the mpg on these varies from 16mpg (heavy foot) to 27 on (lite foot)

I get around 17-18mpg!
Don't expect to see 27mpg, it's impossible to not mash the throttle. The car sounds too good not to.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:08 PM
haha thats better than I get with a heavy foot, if I do anything other than pedal my silverado around town she gets below 14 easily. 17 around town would be quite welcome by me haha. Only thing thats killing me is the waiting to find the right one, or the fact that I found the right one but I cant get it because of uber markup

Old 03-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Can anyone tell me by VIN number if a car is an auto or manual? I found one on autotrader about an hour away, the price is right. Carfax is clean, BUT the pictures of the car show an automatic, the stats listed at the bottom of the page clearly state manual 6 spd.
JNKCV54E34M801374
theres the vin in case anyone can help me

Old 03-29-2008, 08:03 AM
Great info there. Whats this axle click I hadnt heard about that
The rear axle is known for making a "clicking" sound under load on take off. Its a quick fix, though sometimes temporary by retorqueing the axle bolts. Do a search, I'm sure you will find a thousand threads about it here.

The window motors are a problem. These cars have an "auto up/down" feature. When you open the door, the window automatically lowers a slight amount to clear the door moulding above. This makes for a tight weather/air seal on the car. Problem is, the motors tend to fail because of this, and sometimes the window will go down half way and just stop. It can be annoying. Motors aren't cheap, nor should you need to replace them in a couple years.

Gas mileage is not another strong point on this car either. You can figure around 17-19 around town, and maybe 24mpg tops on the highway. Unless you plan to drive like an old man.....these numbers are pretty accurate.

Can anyone tell me by VIN number if a car is an auto or manual? I found one on autotrader about an hour away, the price is right. Carfax is clean, BUT the pictures of the car show an automatic, the stats listed at the bottom of the page clearly state manual 6 spd.
JNKCV54E34M801374
theres the vin in case anyone can help me

I believe thats a 6MT. Autos start with a 3 on the serial number for the 04 model year anyway.

I would call first to make sure though. Good luck

Old 03-29-2008, 08:31 AM
Granted that gas mileage is in the SUV range, Ill be more than happy with it from what Ive been use to lately haha (12/19). Im kinda feelin that I wont be going for that car, the price is actually too low. The auctions dont even go that cheap unless the car is wrecked, and that company sells plenty of wrecked/fixed cars. Ill let this one pass for more than the mis-representing the manual in the pics. Who's to say those are even the pics of the car on the site *shrug*. Ah well the auction is on Tuesday I think I can wait it out

Interesting about the windows I didnt know that, the new mustangs do it to, and I can just imagine how quickly that wears the motors down.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:32 AM
the 04 comes with hids as oppose to some 03's some 03's have doggy doors, 03.5 dont, 03.5-04 has all the extra sockets and auto on &off headlights

Old 03-29-2008, 10:15 AM
I hope the Original Poster is talking about a Coupe? This is the Coupe forum.

The sedans are another story......

If your looking at a sedan, disregard all the information I posted....Sorry.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:40 AM
I hope im looking for a coupe too, I cant imagine owning a sedan ! The suv comment was aimed purely at gas mileage, 16/24 is exactly what a cherokee is rated at haha. Right now im awaitiang an email response on the 04, but my feelings are very mixed on it until I get a paint depth meter and go at it in person.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
Gas mileage is another plus (coming from a lifted truck that gets about 19-20 on the highway)
What kinda lifted truck did you have that was getting 19/20 MPG on the highway? Most 4x4 trucks don't even get that at stock height with stock tires. My 4-Cyl regular cab Toyota Tacoma 4x4 only gets around 17/18 MPG on the highway in the winter and maybe 22 in the summer @ 65 MPH.

The G's aren't that good on fuel economy. I get around 22-23 MPG on the highway at around 70 MPH. I drive pretty light too.... so if you have a heavy foot, expect to only average around 15 or 16 MPG overall.

Old 03-29-2008, 05:41 PM
It was a 2wd silverado w/ 4.8 V8 33" tires and a fairly small lift (5" but starting with a 2wd its just a couple inches higher than a 4x4 silverado). Easily gets around 20 highway if you're easy on it, that may have something to do with still being stock geared as well though (3.46gears) Also probably why my city mileage is in the gutter (avg 12-14 all city).

I wil say though Im kinda shocked to hear all the negatives on gas mileage, my sisters sedan gets good gas mileage, arent they the same engine? Either way I still think it should be an imrpovement over what Im in now haha.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.