G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Mazda RX 8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 07:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Mazda RX 8

The flooding thing is just a rotary engine issue, not a defect. You have to treat them a bit differently. That's sort of the point to having a different type of engine, i.e. having it operate differently. It's also why it's such a rare engine, since it clearly isn't suited for most styles of car that the masses drive.

Regarding the mis-stated horsepower, that was because they forgot to run the car against California's higher emissions standards when they made that claim. In order to qualify in California at the last hour, they had to make the car run rich at high rpms, which stiffled some of the power. There's a fairly well-known chip out there that sets the a/f timing back to the original settings, if not a bit leaner. Won't pass inspection in Cali, but too bad for them.

If I had to do it all over again and needed 4 seats, I'd probably take a base RX-8 with sport package for $27k over my G35, which cost $36k. The G's a better car and a great value for what you get, but it's really hard getting a MT that isn't pretty much loaded. Also, the backseat isn't as useful as the 8's. I can order up a 8 with MT, cloth seats, Nav, xenons, and yet no damn sunroof cutting into my headroom, and pocket about $9k. If that's the configuration you want, it's a very good compromise for a bit less straight line oomph and a bit less attractive exterior. I personally am not biting, but I would if I wanted another 4 seater.

-Jack
Obsidian '03 G35 Sports Coupe (for sale)

Old 04-03-2004, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Mazda RX 8

JDMan,

The Mazda salesperson and tech manager both admitted that the flooding issue is not a normal consequence of operating a rotary engine on the new RX 8.

Yes, the rotary is a different sort of powerplant, but no one should have to plunk down $27 grand or more on a car that may need to be flat-bedded to the dealer every time it floods. I think this issue will turn off many potential RX 8 owners (I was one of them). Just my humble opinion. Some folks do indeed like vehicles that require extra tinkering - I'm not one of them at this stage in my life.

I own a 1973 Javelin AMX (for 26 years now) and I'm no stanger to the idiosyncracies of a unique automobile. No room for two of 'em though...