G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Speeding Ticket!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 06:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speeding Ticket!

Yup,

I admit it, but not what the highway patrol officer wrote. My detector didn't go off cuz he was on his bike and followed me for about a mile I guess. I saw him in my rearview and from far and slowed from 4th doing about 90 to 3rd doing about 75.
On my ticket he wrote I was approx. doing 100. I questioned him because I knew he didn't use a radar detector and he said that's what he estimated and that he wrote it in the "section as if it could be anything over 65". I'm not too sure on what he meant by that but obviousely he didn't impound my car or arrest me. He added a nice No front plate ticket also but this I can just fix.
This is my first speeding ticket and I will try to contest it and try to delay the court date as I've heard this may discourage the officer from showing up. I'm definitly going to take traffic school too.

How much would this ticket cost me about???

2004 Blk/Blk Coupe - Navi, Premium, K&N Typhoon CAI

Old 04-05-2004, 06:36 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Speeding Ticket!

Shouldn't be hard to plea that ticket down somewhat.

<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=red>GSM</font color=red>
<font color=black>Silverstone Coupe</font color=black>

Old 04-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely fight that one. If he didn't get you on radar, and wrote an "approximate" speed, then he doesn't have a leg to stand on in court. With a lawyer, you could probably get the entire ticket dismissed in court. You may even be able to get it dismissed without a lawyer.

I don't know how much that ticket would cost, but 100 MPH ticket probably would cost you $300-400 is my guess.

2003 G35C, 6MT, DG/G, Aero/Nav/Premium
2002 Corvette Z06, Electron Blue/Black

Old 04-05-2004, 07:49 PM

i'm not a lawyer, but i'm definitely sure that you can walk on this one. without radar and since he was on bike (no pacing method for speed estimation), there's no evidence on your actual speed.

Old 04-05-2004, 08:10 PM

I dunno about that logic though thangbu..

I mean a cop on a motorcycle moving obviously can't use radar on you.. so does that mean no matter what if you speed past a motor cop you are gonna go scott free? that logic doesnt stand.. im sure he can just say he was riding behind for approx such and such feet and his speedometer on the bike was reading ~90mph or whatever..

just stating you shouldnt think it will be a breeze.. motor cops dont come straight from the academy they have been out for a while and if you were given a citation then im sure you aren't the first one.. so it wont be a walk on.. estimation isn't the strongest case in the world, but the word of an experienced cop who does nothing but write citations.. gonna hold some weight.

Old 04-05-2004, 10:28 PM

Here's what will happen. You'll go to court, the judge will ask the officer how long he has been an officer, what training he's had, blah blah blah. The cop will say he's been to 32 different training courses on how to "pace" drivers to determine their speed. You'll have zero evidence that you weren't, the judge will side with the cop and you'll pay the ticket and then some cause you're going to pay court costs as well, plus you'll have killed your whole day waiting in line.

Go to traffic court someday and just watch. The only way to get off is if you pay a ton of money for a lawyer, or the cop doesn't show up. My experience has been that they usually do.

Call the circuit clerk and ask what the fine will be. If it's reasonable, pay it. If not, go kill a day and hope that they're giving away traffic school that day. Good luck, traffic court sucks. It also varies a great deal by municipality so if it's really a big deal to you, go observe and see what happens to everyone else before you figure out your strategy.

Old 04-05-2004, 11:12 PM

I think I'll end up paying the fine and try to go to traffic school since it is my first time. It would be a waist to put it off and expect the cop not to show up.

2004 Blk/Blk Coupe - Navi, Premium, K&N Typhoon CAI